Starting issues

... it's actually burning all of that off. Then with cleaner metal the moist Wisconsin air is able to rust things up ...

Logically, this is the only thing that makes sense to me. You have a condition of use that requires some environmental change over time to complete the starting condition. The only thing the second part can be is the weather. That suggest rust from humid WI summers ( I did grow up there I know). So the real question is what preconditions makes the weather a factor? Clean metal or carbon build up? I'd bet on the former.

The 46 that I just bought had two stuck valves.  The previous owner had had it running for about an hour and a half.  When it was delivered  I slowly dumped about half a pint of MMO down the throat of the carb while it idled, and then choked it off with a good slug.  It sat overnight.  Yesterday morning when I went out to start it I had all 6 firing.   I know for a fact that for this application, this stuff is not snake oil.  Smells pretty good too!   I put some in the crankcase and some in the gas to keep it limber until it gets a good running.  Mike

• Like 1

I have read many threads here that talk about sticking valves. How common is this on a clean rebuilt engine? I can understand how this might occur on an engine that is well worn....full of sludge and carbon deposits.......and sitting dormant for a long period of time. But is it really that common of a problem with an engine that is fairly fresh and has clean internals and modern oil in it?

It would seem to me that if this is happening with any frequency on fresh engines that there must be either a lubrication issue or a problem with the crankcase ventilation that is contributing to this.

From what I know of Merle it seems very unlikely that he has anything other than a clean relatively fresh engine. If it is an environmental factor that causes this would using a product like storage seal prevent this from happening? Does a dose of MMO function similarly to storage seal?

I do know that trying different lubricants can have fairly dramatic effects on how things function. I have witnessed this time and again on different sorts of machinery. Quite often with older machines there is clearly an optimum type of lubricant and often every thing else you may try falls far short. I have an 65 year old machine in my shop that only works well if I lube it with a graphite based grease. Run out and use anything else and it starts to seize up very quickly.

Jeff

Flathead valves rely on lubricant surface tension to maintain a film of lubricant on the valve stem during operation, as the valve guides are not supplied pressurized lubricant.  Modern engines have valve stem seals because the valve stems are being fed pressurized lubricant, and the seals reduce contamination from intake & exhaust, vastly reducing the risk of valves sticking.  Flathead valves stick not because of contamination in the oil, but from the contamination left behind when the oil succumbs to gravity and flows back to the crankcase.  This contamination on a dry surface with a tight tolerance will actually ball up & form a wedge, causing the valve to stick.  What MMO can do is saturate & soften that dry contamination so the valves may move more freely in their guides, and possibly rinse off that contamination altogether, leaving behind a thin layer of lubrication.

• Like 3

Value stem seals are primarally to keep oil from the combustion chamber.....without it, the oil would be sucked in.  

When a modern engine is blowing blue smoke...the question is " bad rings or bad valve seals?"

48D

• Like 1

48dodger, on 28 Aug 2014 - 11:25 PM, said:

Value stem seals are primarally to keep oil from the combustion chamber.....without it, the oil would be sucked in.  

When a modern engine is blowing blue smoke...the question is " bad rings or bad valve seals?"

48D

constant blowing smoke more toward rings...puffing on shifting or decel' puff of blue..usually seals/guides due to the higher vacuum during decel'   old cars are like kids..you don't want either to smoke but at a certain age you kinda lose control of all that...

• Like 2