Engine Color ?

Labrauer

I have the engine out of the 48 Plymouth coupe to rebuild it and can't make my mind up on what color to paint the engine, brackets, ect. My car is the sumac red on the outside and black and red on the interior. Just wanted to see some of you guys engine colors to see what would be a really nice color to paint it before I end up painting it and not liking the color. I know most are a silver or gray color but I wanted more.

post-3724-0-43009600-1408498581_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics in advance,

Larry

• Like 1

I can't contribute any pics but my first thought would be red in a satin black engine bay with satin black brackets and accessories.  Any aluminum pieces left natural.  Bare metal, like carb linkage and Boden cable covers dusted with aluminum rattle can spray.  Wires and attachments in their natural colors add little color highlights.

Edited by mrwrstory

There's so many colors of red, I'd grab a piece of easily removable small body part, gas filler door for example, and head to the paint store and find a complimentary color. Not all reds will look good against the body color. Body color or semigloss black on the inner panels and gloss black on accessories, etc. You can probably find someone who could chrome the valve covers, draft tube or breather cap, maybe find some chrome caps for the head bolts if desired.

Larry,

I expect my engine would clash with your exterior.  PO had the engine just painted silver when the engine was rebuilt.  I painted the head Hemi-Orange and most accessories gloss black; if I ever have the engine out of the car I will paint the block black.

post-2989-0-00206700-1408544074_thumb.jpg

Larry,

Some good suggestions here (and a few that really bite because I don't think a tartan pattern would receive due appreciation) and I don't want to roil the waters because that is simply not my way.  Use any color that pleases you (mine is a 1961 Chevy Seafoam Green) but do not paint anything that has oil on the other side of it black!  The reasoning behind this is simple; if it's black you'll play hell ever finding an oil leak.  There are plenty of folks who will say I'm wrong about this, but most of them drive "trailer queens" and I doubt thats the direction you want to go.

-Randy

• Like 1

The engine in our D24 is Chrysler Blue.  The inner fender panels are body color (grey).  Nice contrast but unintentional because that was the color of the engine when we bought the car and I thought it was original.  (I've since veered from the "original" mantra.)  I happen to like the aluminum / silver / pewter color for these Mopar flatties, with satin black accessories, and will paint mine as such when the time comes.  But I would chime in that a "lighter" color may be preferable to more readily identify leaks and other issues, and also brings out the engineering and design features of the engine - all the ridges, grooves, casting marks, etc.

If your engine leaks oil paint it black. You wont see the leaks especially if you park it over dirt or gravel.

• Like 1

I would "plan on doing also" a muilty tone while keeping to the second color choice of the vehicle it goes in while painting anything that oil would normally show or dirt areas as bright as I can to show how clean I keep it, however if this is a drive at least 200 miles every day then I would go with as suggested black or satin black for a cool look or even smokey gray