FLATHEAD SIX MOPARS

CHRYCHILE

Hi!

I'll try to be brief: I am starting to restore a 1941 Plymouth convertible which was put aside long ago after a collision affecting the front left corner that damaged mostly that part of the frame as well as sheetmetal.

I have obtained a straight frame that belonged to a 41 sedan, which seems to be identical apart from having reinforcing plates over and under the frame just ahead of the X member.

Question: could I use this sedan frame by adding the plates I mentioned? Or...?

Next, I have the original engine 201.3 CI engine but would prefer to install a slightly larger but similar looking flathead six. I also have a rebuilt engine from a 47 Plymputh (217.8 CI) but then also have a larger appearing Mopar of hich I ignore size and year but its definitely a later year; also, it is a full inch longer when measured along the head. 

Question: how can I properly identify this engine? Otherwise, any clue as to its origins?

Any and all comments much welcome!

Thanks,

Lars

Depending on the extent of the damage it may be a lot easier to have a frame shop pull the convertible frame straight. I had my frame straightened after an accident I think it was $400. Otherwise I believe you'll be ok transfering the X member over to the sedan frame. The shop that did Dads 51 convert did that to a 46-48 convert they did. You'll have to post some more info about that other engine. How long is it? What are the numbers just below the head behind the waterpump?

Hi Young Ed and Don:

thanks for the help.

I prefer to go the sedan frame route in this case as I am located in Valparaiso, Chile and frame strengthening is done here but mainly on trucks....I should have mentioned my location!

As to the engine I am not familiar with the main differences between them, but I'll check those numbers in the first place; maybe you can help then.

Thanks!

Lars

• Like 1

Thanks for the help on my engine questions, fellows. I went over to check the  engine numbers as advised by Don but unfortunately found that someone sometime filed away the number (!), so I don't have a number.

I measured the head and it is 23" long by 7" wide and the head bolts are 21 total, in three rows of seven each.

Does that ring a bell or do I have to remove the head to check the diameter?  Could it be a 217.8?

The engine has a modern style oil sump vent and also a factory oil filter, if that means anything.

Thanks, 

Lars

• Like 1

23" should be 201 218 or 230. Checking bore and stroke is the only way to be sure now.

218 and 230 had the same bore. Stroke was different. If you can get to the crank the numbers on the crank may help.

Heres a couple links I have used which can help with the numbers:

http://musclecarclub.com/members/castingnumbers/Mopar1.shtml

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

Ed how would you know by the plug over #6?

• Like 1

218 and 230 had the same bore. Stroke was different. If you can get to the crank the numbers on the crank may help.

Heres a couple links I have used which can help with the numbers:

http://musclecarclub.com/members/castingnumbers/Mopar1.shtml

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

Ed how would you know by the plug over #6?

Assuming his engine still turns over you can measure the stroke by inserting a piece of wire into that hole.