Finally, focusing on my b3b

Brent B3B

OK i get it! it occurs to me that part of the reason of posting our projects is to make us accountable to people of the same intrest. so.. instead of just making comments on the forum.. here is my project for the last 30 years. not proud of the pace i have worked on it or the quality... but none the less here is "George" my first vehicle (named it back when i got him) 51, b3b post-6005-0-12107300-1407870878_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-17884400-1407870884_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-12340000-1407870895_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-90261000-1407870907_thumb.jpg

it wasn't moving eight months ago, but thanks to this forum (and a lot of PM's to individuals) i actually moved it from it's parking spot in the shop under his own power a few weeks ago. in starting on the body work (trying to compete with bobacuda :lol:  ) i discovered the cab is out of whack somewhere in possibly the "b" pillar effecting the windshield alignment and the door gaps (at least that is what i am blaming it on)  I don't claim to be a mechanic or a body man by any stretch....

• Like 1

inspired by 48D comments on another post " I swear sometimes draggin stuff home is more fun than actually working on it...lol...its my version of a blank canvas. 48D"

here is what i ended up with this weekend post-6005-0-66075000-1407871928_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-82626900-1407871936_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-37126100-1407872099_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-36705200-1407872522_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-95151400-1407872093_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-79571200-1407871963_thumb.jpgpost-6005-0-14540600-1407872510_thumb.jpg

Both 51's, so, how many is too many? hoping to use the cab and other sheet metal off the better of the two. and get the other one running.......

i asked my wife, " at what point do i not call it "George"? she said, we'll if you had parts replaced i would still call you Brent" :lol:

• Like 4

How many trucks is to many? I'm gonna say 25....it might be 35....I'll let you know, I'm gettin close. lol :lol:

Its always something, and it takes a lifetime, but that's why its a hobby, right? 

30 years is just the begining in my book, Brent. 

And please thank your wife for the best laugh I've had all week, it was genius. lol

48D  

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 3

Tell Julie thanks!!! That's my new signature. ROTFLMAO!!!!

Keep it up! I named the Red one Keven :D

One of these days when all of the Northwest pilot-house trucks are finally road worthy, we have to set up a meeting!  I just hope by then we are not all too old to drive them!!!

Good news is that if we forget the names of our trucks, we know who to ask  ;)

...Nice finds and good luck to you on the work ahead.

Paul 

• Like 1

thanks guys, Saturday i picked up the final peice of the the "barn" find Keven hooked me up with post-6005-0-77677000-1408468894_thumb.jpg

the additional motor and transmission.....

i have been trying to get the other two started... the primer one has spark and fuel but low compression... been reading past post of stuck valves. will be looking into soon.

"Keven" sure cleans up well....  no spark yet but it turn over..... post-6005-0-24517600-1408468903_thumb.jpg

i hate to admit it but with this truck i finally get the patina look.... :)

Hank, i may have to get that green color code from you for the primer one......

Paul, Keven, Jim, Gary,Bob...... BBQ?....... April? ....... California......... Northwest invasion!........ set break!  :D

Edited by Brent B3B
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

spare motor frozen, took the head off, #1 and #3 had standing water  post-6005-0-10640300-1409672680_thumb.jpg (had missing spark plugs)

the side of the block looks like it has issues post-6005-0-92415200-1409672817_thumb.jpg

I don't see a 8" crack on the other motors :) 

can't imagine it can be repaired or even worth it.

if a guy was to strip the block down for scrap what is worth hanging onto? and are the head gaskets really junk after separating or can you salvage with gasket sealer?  

That block is repairable. Economically feasible, no. Blocks without cracks are still fairly easy and cheap to come by. As far as the gasket, people do reuse them. Should they? Not really. It's not worth the risk of it not sealing, you doing the work over, or worse, paying someone else to do it the second time, the possibility of coolant in the oil ( anti freeze is NOT a lubricant), overheating, the down time, inconvenience of working over the top of fenders, the tow bill since it's not going to go out while sitting in your driveway.

I'd not reuse a gasket, they aren't that expensive to replace.  Replacing a blown one you tried to salvage just isn't worth it IMO.

perfect, copper is at $2.60 per lb today... chaaaaa  ching! :D  

That block is repairable. Economically feasible, no. Blocks without cracks are still fairly easy and cheap to come by. As far as the gasket, people do reuse them. Should they? Not really. It's not worth the risk of it not sealing, you doing the work over, or worse, paying someone else to do it the second time, the possibility of coolant in the oil ( anti freeze is NOT a lubricant), overheating, the down time, inconvenience of working over the top of fenders, the tow bill since it's not going to go out while sitting in your driveway.

is it worth hanging onto the crank, connecting rods, flywheel etc. or are those pretty easy to come by also?

Sure, hang onto them. Most of the time you'll find a block with them still in but occasionally someone needs a rod or crank and if it's a 230, it's good stock for someone wanting to update their 218.

Brent -

Get ready for a confession.  I was planning on painting my truck myself, but my wife and kids went for "intervention."  They have convinced me that they would like to see the truck more in line with when it was new rather than after several years on the farm with a beginner paint job.  We located a young man that graduated from an automotive restoration program and currently works for a very good restoration and hot rod shop.  Basically, he gave me a price that I couldn't refuse.  The only problem is that neither of us is ready to start right now, but we both hope to be by Oct. 1.  I will post photos when things start moving again.

Bob

dang! I am deflated.... I just finished stripping down the primer one to take to the blasters. no way I can keep up now  :) congrats on the new path.

now that the pressure is off, I think I am going to take another look at the cab on "George". 

• 3 weeks later...

can a thread insert be installed in the carb inlet?

post-6005-0-36638300-1411354761_thumb.jpg

it is a DTG1 from what I have seen it is for the fluid drive trucks. I would like to keep it as "Keven" is a fluid drive.

sorry Royhldn, turns out I am going to try and revive all three. :)  wish I would have grabbed a trailer I saw on CL a little while ago..... might have been perfect for you.

i'll keep an eye out for you though ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a gear head but, something looks wrong to me on this fluid drive assembly (holes) and the driving plate also look like a bolt hole "tab" is broke off.   is this fixable or should I junk it? 

post-6005-0-78223200-1412472618_thumb.jpg

as always, thanks for all the help and advice!