Found a suprise when prepping for paint!

White Spyder

you got some extreme sway there in the rear..or improper positive offset wheels mounted and setting to close to the frame rails on install..if not wheel configuration, I would look close at the rear shackle bushings and their state of repair...odds are them may well be shot ....the shocks will check the bounce in up and down travel of the body and only a miminal amount of side float..you will need a Panhard rod to address this issue in a manner to stabilize the body relative to the frame during lateral movement...

• Like 1

I think we have a winner of the chicken dinner!!!

The original photo was of the left rear of the car.  The right rear side does have slight rubbing.

This photo tells the story I think. 

post-4038-0-46183300-1407786560_thumb.jpg

From the left rear side front mount.

Now where to get replacements!  The more I do to this car the more I need to do!!!!

I just got the bushings by looking on Amazon.  I did both sides on the rears the uppers were decent.  Rides and corners much nicer.  Added new rear shocks also.  If you can not find them on Amazon Rock auto has them.  the deal from Amazon was better no shipping.  I believe the ones I got were labled as 49 Dodge but they fit fine.  I believe they were all the same from early 40 through mid 50's.

The original photo was of the left rear of the car.  The right rear side does have slight rubbing.

From the left rear side front mount.

Now where to get replacements! 

Robert's Motor Parts have them, I just bought a set.

If you are rubbing heavy on one side, and light on the other, after changing the shackle bushings it will rub more evenly. Change tire size or use some .25" spacers on the rear wheels.

• Like 1

Is your rear sway bar on the car? It can be adjusteed too as I recall.

Bob

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Are you replacing all bushings? I know it may sound backwoods, but I went to replace mine not too long ago and found the rubber ones I got were too small . I had a new set of poly bushings for a Jeep laying around that I no longer have. I modified the bushings for my springs (same diameter, just too long). They work fantastic! Basically, what I am staying is look around. There might be some polys if you want to go that route initially for another application that may fit yours with little work.

Neil Riddle has the correct bushings.

All 46-8 chryslers have a rear sway bar. The eight cylinder cars are hydraulic. The sixes are a torsion kinda bar.

Your still going to have rub with new shackle bushings.

Believe it or not your tires are the wrong size (too wide)

Check your spare (if original) that's what they should be.

I had the 225/75R15 on my Chrysler (1948 Royal) when I bought it

same exact problem. I bought 7.60/15 4- ply tires with a 5-1/4" wide tread.

Those 225/75R15's your running are probably about 6-1/2" - 7" wide.

New Shackle Bushings will not fix it. But they look like they need replacing as well.

Tom

The rear sway bar has a very small amount of sideways adjustment via a stud mounted on a upper frame bracket and serrated plates.

It won't be enought to correct for too wide of tires or wrong rims.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

If you do opt for 7.60-15 you will also find it's like adding powered steering because of their smaller surface contact. They are perfectly tuned for the fabulous boat like ride, body roll in cornering and the drum brakes. I just allow more space than with my "modern" '91 LeBaron with T/A radials.  

• 10 months later...

My '47 rubbed both sides, in hard cornering, with 225 or 235 tires on the rear. (Stock wheels too.)

I added a rather stiff rear sway bar from a big T-bird, and it controlled it quite nicely.