"Shorpy"

Dan Hiebert

Some of you probably know of this site already, www.shorpy.com.  I vaguely recall it being mentioned before and I recognize some of the photos on the site that folks have shown on the forum.  Anyhoo -  today the first photo up on the home page is of a picnic in Austin in 1952 - "prominently" in the near background is a D24 2dr sedan, a little worse for wear, but there it is.  The network I'm on right now won't allow me to get the photo to post here - but the site is worth a visit for fans of vintage photos and history. 

• Like 2

If memory serves me correct swings,, merry-go-rounds, and teeter-totters were outlawed somewhere back in the 60's, too many kids got hurt, but they were fun. Our school had a HIGH swing, the boys would put a girl on the seat, then he would stand on the seat and take that swing to its highest arch. Great fun,

My kids school in Massachusetts had swings, see-saw and I think a merry go round in the early 80's.  Swings are still around, but seem to be made of light weight materials so that kids can't get seriously clunked in the head.  The merry go rounds should be outlawed, if they are not already.

Tim, I agree, games with a bit of risk taught respect for such things as leverage, balance and centrifugal forces. On had to know a bit about all three to ride a Radio Flyer coaster wagon pulled at 20+ mph connected by a single rope and pulled by a good pony. That was sans helmets, elbow pads, goggles, brakes, etc.

• Like 1