Master Cylinder Push Rod Adjustment Procedure

plymouthcranbrook

Well I don't know if I found the hole or it found me but I did manage to get whatever was blocking it cleared. I bought a small roll of the smallest spring wire Ace Hardware sold and went home to see what I could do.  Re- adjusted the pedal to 1/4 inch free play and took about half of the brake fluid out of the Master Cylinder. I began to poke around in the back hole but wasn't able to see or feel the small hole at all. So, I decided to pump the brake pedal while probing for the vent. Suddenly there was a shot of brake fluid about 1 inch or so above the top of the master cylinder. I looked into the fill hole and low and behold there was this perfect tiny little hole. I carefully pushed the wire into the hole and moved it around a little. Then moved the pedal again. Up shot the stream of fluid.. Success!!!. Of course I now have to re-adjust at least the rear brakes because I had thought the problem was there. Oh well, that is not a big deal. Thanks to all who helped on this.

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

And did that free up your brakes? You may have had some debris compacted in that hole.

Seems to as of now. Know more after adjusting brakes and test drive. Strong spurt from hole when brakes pressed. though

Edited by plymouthcranbrook

Just came back from a 25 mile trip and had no problems with the brakes. Only issue is a somewhat low pedal but since I don't have access to one of the special brake adjusting tools(and in all honestly, no desire to take everything apart this year to reset them) I am going to just drive the car as much as I have time for and let shoes wear in and see if anything else needs to be fixed. Maybe next year i will get into some cosmetic interior work if no more mechanical issues arise.

Just came back from a 25 mile trip and had no problems with the brakes. Only issue is a somewhat low pedal but since I don't have access to one of the special brake adjusting tools(and in all honestly, no desire to take everything apart this year to reset them) I am going to just drive the car as much as I have time for and let shoes wear in and see if anything else needs to be fixed. Maybe next year i will get into some cosmetic interior work if no more mechanical issues arise.

Not a good idea to let the shoes wear in. If you take the time to do a correct adjustment you will be much better off. Just my opinion. 

No doubt you are correct Don, however I do not have a tool and no longer know anyone who does. I would have liked to have had the new shoes arced in as well. Unfortunately I am not going to be able to do this. I will drive carefully and of course check adjustment as the miles accumulate to allow the shoes to wear in. I do thank you for for the advice.

There is a forum member who graciously loans the tool for a deposit only.

Perhaps in the Spring I will look into that. No ambition for disassembling the brakes again this soon. There will be limited driving for the rest of this year anyway, almost all at slow speeds. Thanks for telling me. Do you know who it is?