new here starting on my 40 ply sedan

Mark40plymouth

Been lurking around for a while getting some ideas for my 40 Plymouth 2dr sedan. It looks rough but is straight and pretty solid except the front floorboards. motor was really stuck when I got it, but finally got things rotating. Ordered 1 new valve guide and exhaust valve to replace the one I bent trying to get it loose. any tips on getting the valve guide in would be appreciated, already remove the old one. Going to try and stick with this original 201.3 because it looks like it was rebuilt shortly before it was parked in 1976. will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Put it in the freezer and then do the reading, seriously. The freezer shrinks it a bit and makes it easier to install without galling.

Good advice, but you have to work fast once you start the instal. Once it is in contact with the block heat will transfer quickly and warm up the guide. You must be ready with all of your driver/pressing tools and drive it home as quickly as possible. You'll probably have less than a minute before the temperatures equalize between the block and guide and you'll lose the advantage of freezing it.

Thanks for the tip. doing it in the car so might be a little fun.

Here are a few vitals.

Engine P9 362429

Body    211 34529

VIN      6329565

That "VIN" (serial number) does not seem to be valid. At least I don't see a range of numbers in my Chrysler product passenger vehicle serial number lists that cover it.

Old oil had a lot of sludge. Pulled the cover off the oil pump has good clean oil in it.

No pressure at cam shaft galley but has clean oil with extremely little flow.

Received my new lifter and valve guide today progress slow but sure.

Edited by Mark40plymouth

• 2 years later...

Well the Plymouth got side tracked for a while. Hoping to get back to it in the next month or so.

Last year got nothing done. Had a blood borne staff infection it ate my mitral valve had to have open heart surgery.

Feeling much better now itching to get started. Picked up another project 1969 Fiat 850 Spyder going to be the wife's summer car needs some love.

Glad your health has improved.  It really bums me out when a fellow hobbyist gets ill....