What would you do?? - 52 COE Project

I'm jealous!

I've always wanted a COE:(

I'm very happy for you Joe!

Now you need bigger tools:eek:

• Like 1

I'm pretty excited about this. I'm picking it up Friday after work. Its heading straight to the power wash pad at work, then I'll prep it for storage. Its going to have to sit until I have time, space, and money to tinker with it. I'm still trying to locate somewhere to store it, but I'm not worried. I'm confident it will end up somewhere safe and out of the weather. This definitely gives me more motivation to get the Desoto done! 

I'll post pictures of the retrieval and washing once I get it! I'm really hoping the engine is loose too, but I won't be upset if it's not. I'm just happy to be getting it! 

A suggestion, CLEAN it then contact Dodge dealers and offer it for a 30 day show room display. Decorate the bed with the season, and maybe you can find seven or more to buy in. Or offer it "on loan " to several truck museums or find a wedding photographer with storage space as payment for photo ops. Good luck. 

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:06 AM, 52b3b Joe said:

I'm pretty excited about this. I'm picking it up Friday after work. Its heading straight to the power wash pad at work, then I'll prep it for storage.

Joe, besides the power wash, what other "prep work"?  do you have a "storage ritual" in mind?

I don't think Friday will come fast enough! 

I did secure storage for it in a friend's barn for very reasonable rent, so it will be in a safe place until I can get to it. It's also a 1/2 mile down the road from my in-law's house, which makes it very convenient. 

31 minutes ago, Brent B3B said:

Joe, besides the power wash, what other "prep work"?  do you have a "storage ritual" in mind?

As far as prep work, here's what I'm thinking: 

First the headliner (It fell out) will get trashed, and the cab will get cleaned out. The seat is pretty shredded, so I'll see what comes of that. I'll remove any of the residents living in there too and keep the things that attract them away! I plan to put it on the steam pad at work and power wash it. I'll grease the truck to make sure water didn't get places I don't want it, and I want to put oil down the cylinders (I'd like to see if it is free also). I also want to drain the cooling system (if there is anything in there) and make sure it's sealed well from critters. From there I'll see how much time I have (I only have this weekend to do everything and other prior commitments). I have permission to use one of our trucks and a trailer from my work this weekend, and I don't want to have to ask for it again! I arranged to put it in storage Sunday evening. 

Any other suggestions or recommendations? 

27 minutes ago, Todd B said:

My suggestion would be to bring it to my shop. and I recommend to leave it there for me.

Lol, this has to be the best possible response! 

I’ve been lurking on this thread but haven’t seen your plans for the truck.  I notice the 6 cylinder badge on the nose and wonder if you plan to keep the original drive train or just keep the sheet metal?

13 hours ago, Rocket-bob said:

I’ve been lurking on this thread but haven’t seen your plans for the truck.  I notice the 6 cylinder badge on the nose and wonder if you plan to keep the original drive train or just keep the sheet metal?

They only offered 6 cylinders in these, and I plan on keeping it stock. I want it to drive like it did when it was new. 

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, 52b3b Joe said:

First the headliner (It fell out) will get trashed, and the cab will get cleaned out. The seat is pretty shredded, so I'll see what comes of that. I'll remove any of the residents living in there too and keep the things that attract them away! I plan to put it on the steam pad at work and power wash it. I'll grease the truck to make sure water didn't get places I don't want it, and I want to put oil down the cylinders (I'd like to see if it is free also). I also want to drain the cooling system (if there is anything in there) and make sure it's sealed well from critters. From there I'll see how much time I have (I only have this weekend to do everything and other prior commitments). I have permission to use one of our trucks and a trailer from my work this weekend, and I don't want to have to ask for it again! I arranged to put it in storage Sunday evening. 

Any other suggestions or recommendations? 

wow, it's like you had 3years to think it over! :lol:

take it for what it worth (nothing) and It may have been a coincidence but, I have taken five of these flatheads apart in as many years recently and the only one that didn't have coolant left in the block was the one I had broken head bolts and broken manifold bolts on...

hey, it would be nice if you could hook up PB blaster to the power washer attachment.... :D or at least hit those bolts you know you'll have trouble with later when you go to take them apart....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brent B3B said:

wow, it's like you had 3years to think it over! :lol:

take it for what it worth (nothing) and It may have been a coincidence but, I have taken five of these flatheads apart in as many years recently and the only one that didn't have coolant left in the block was the one I had broken head bolts and broken manifold bolts on...

hey, it would be nice if you could hook up PB blaster to the power washer attachment.... :D or at least hit those bolts you know you'll have trouble with later when you go to take them apart....

I Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a good use for some old coolant I have as long as it will hold coolant....

Well, it made it home! I took our yard truck and trailer to pick it up. Loading it was a breeze, I used the knuckle boom on the truck to pull it up on the trailer. The truck definitely has its fair share of rust, but it's definitely not too far gone. I decoded the serial number and it's a 1952. It's a B3JM161. I'll post more pictures this weekend of it. I'm just happy I finally have it!

IMG_4103.PNG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was able to get all the cleaning and storage prep done over the weekend, and the truck is now sitting in storage in a concrete floor barn about 10 minutes from my house. 

I picked it up on Friday night, and got it power washed. Lol, mice were running/falling out of it!

Condition wise, the truck has some rust issues, but it is restorable. It has rust holes and thin metal, but overall it shouldn't be anything I can't handle.  

Saturday morning/early afternoon was spent with family, so I had a late start with the truck. I spend 4 hours cleaning the interior out Saturday evening. It was the most miserable interior I've ever removed. The smell alone was enough to make anyone sick! There was a solid 4-5" of mouse home/feed/whatever you could imagine in the entire cab. I took a shovel and trash can to start the cleaning process. I followed up with a shop vac and putty knife to scrape with. It was NOT a fun task. 

Sunday (yesterday) I took the seat back and bottom down to the springs, and removed the firewall pad, and door panels to finish the interior cleaning. I sprayed febreze in the cab, and let it air out. 

The other VERY strong bad odor from the truck was the 40 year old varnished gas left in it. Someone over the years added a second round fuel tank on the drivers side. One of the straps were already broken and the tank had a lot of pin holes in it, so I took the line off, and took it off. I drained about 16 gallons out. That stuff was dark brown and smelly. Luckily, the original tank on the passenger side looks to be in good shape.

I also took the battery that was in it out, and I took the rear platform/bed extension off it. The bed is junk, so it will be going to the scrap pile when ever I start this project. It is a dump bed, but the rear hinges are tearing and there is a bit of rust. 

The engine is loose. I was able to rock it with the fan easily, so that makes me feel good, and the drive train seems ok as far as I can tell. I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to get it running. I pulled the floor panels and the spark plugs to put some oil down the cylinders. I'm hoping some oil made it to the cylinders with the way the truck was leaning on the trailer, and it all didn't go in the intake/exhaust. 

The truck is all there. I don't see a single bolt missing, so I shouldn't have to chase parts for it too bad. Now, I just have to wait until I can get to it! Hopefully its only a couple years down the road! 

4.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by 52b3b Joe
  • Like 2

Just read this thread from start to finish for the first time. Very interesting! I like your plans to keep it original and look forward to more pictures and updates when you start the restoration project! Good luck in the future with it!

4 hours ago, R&D Dodge said:

Great story Joe, thank you for sharing and congratulations!  I too am new here as well as a new old truck owner, fun stuff!!  I do hope you wore a mask while cleaning that cab out.. 

I wore a mask, not worth getting sick over cleaning out a truck! 

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, 48Dodger said:

Hey, how bout a picture of you IN the dang thing......before its in pieces and covered up for winter?????

48D

Lol, its already covered up and in storage! I did get one picture with the truck, so here it is: 10.jpg.c6e34af316a8ece583c2e2ce20c68ccd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's a great picture!

Long WB model too.

• 52b3b Joe changed the title to What would you do?? - 52 COE Project