Looking for some info/thoughts on my '47

My father purchased my 1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe around 1956-57 or so. It has been in the family since. I was recently taking photos of the engine # and door post and have discovered the door post serial number does not match the number on my title/registration. I believe the car was in an accident sometime in the '60's. Hard to believe the door post would have been replaced during repairs. Here is what I have:

Motor stamp: P15-547099 (Profile Pic) Can I research this # somehow?

Door Tag #: 20273901 (Pic Attached) Which I believe is a '48 number.

Title Serial/VIN #: 20225292 Which I believe is a '47 number. The title and registration both call out '47 as the year.

Is the serial # stamped on the frame anywhere? I have other photos (top of block, exhaust header, bell housing, lower block as well). The Briggs Body Number is 502-E 17451. The oval plate next to it is blank. The paint under the oval is maroon which I though was only an option on the convertible. Another mystery. Seems like Dad bought a bit of a Frankenstein. Runs like a top though!

Thanks in advance for the info. New to the forum and looking forward to meeting some fellow P-15ers!

post-5152-0-10317200-1406671857_thumb.jpg

post-5152-0-94932000-1406671877_thumb.jpg

post-5152-0-53126800-1406671913_thumb.jpg

post-5152-0-98034200-1406671931_thumb.jpg

post-5152-0-97276700-1406671949_thumb.jpg

post-5152-0-32306000-1406671964_thumb.jpg

Your first picture appears to be a replacement or state issued tag. Where is it located? You should have a more oval tag on the left door pillar marked serial number.

the 202XXXXX number is within the specified range for the Evansville assembly plant for a P15's  the 502E is body style plus E for Evansville..first Evansville number for Special Deluxe P15 was 20,165,001 starting in 1946 and running till end of P15 for Evansville P15 run per the factory service manual..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

the 202XXXXX number is within the specified range for the Evansville assembly plant for a P15's  the 502E is body style plus E for Evansville..first Evansville number for Special Deluxe P15 was 20,165,001 starting in 1946 and running till end of P15 for Evansville P15 run per the factory service manual..

Seems like I have two different 202XXXXX numbers though. My door pillar number is in the '48 sequence and the title/registration 202XXXXX number falls in the '47 sequence if I am reading the reference chart correctly. What is the best way to research my engine number? P15-547099 What does this number tell me?  Thank you.  

that tells you that if correct original engine/chassis configuration that the engine  number will match the chassis number found on the left frame rail just in front of the axle tip up..

Some titles were engine number only and not the build number assigned and noted on the A-post..also that IF a engine was later swapped into a chassis due to mechanical limitations that either prevent a rebuilt for convenience os a swap. it was the responsibility of the owner to denote that change on the title through DMV to keep the paper trail correct..

Seems like I have two different 202XXXXX numbers though. My door pillar number is in the '48 sequence and the title/registration 202XXXXX number falls in the '47 sequence if I am reading the reference chart correctly.

Serial numbers for that era are straight numbers. Engine numbers start with the engineering code of the vehicle, in your case a P15.

Since your registration number looks like a serial number (some states did it that way, others used the engine number) and the serial number on the registration does not match the serial number on the car, I am lead to wonder if you don't have the correct title/registration for the car.