Step Bumper Trailer Hitch?

Okay, read all the trailer hitch threads, but am wondering  about this.

My factory rear bumper, which as the trailer ball, is this set-up tough enough for light Class 1/2 utility trailers. I am not planning on freeway hauling , just slower roads close to home,with light loads, a quad, maybe the garden tractor, with 1200-1500 lb gvw trailer weight.

The bumper brackets are attached to the frame with grade 8 bolts, do plan to reinforce this are, and have the safety chains hooked to the frame, rather than the bumper.

I am not planning to buy a class 3 receiver hitch, as i have no plans for any heavier than what I mentioned for hauling

post-107-0-11072500-1406605432_thumb.jpg

Hi, does anyone happen to have 1 of these type receiver hitches, that GTK had built.

I am looking for the side bracket measurements, or even a template.

I do know my frame rails are 40 inchs wide.

I need to make the side brackets, and have it all welded together, much sturdier and safer than a bumper hitch.

post-107-0-36992400-1406768322_thumb.jpg

I have made a template tonight, but still not sure it is of the right size.

I basically traced it from the pic that GTK posted, and scaled it larger from that point, it looks very close, but will continue to play with it.

Once I have it right, will cut 1/2 inch plat to match, and have my welder, weld the square tube steel, and receiver tub on, and maybe it will workout.

With some cardboard and your truck right there, maybe removing a bracket or two, make a template from your truck.  Once you're close, transfer that to a piece of 1/4 inch plywood and bolt it up in place, check it for clearances and fit and then transfer that to steel plate.  Your current bumper may dictate the template design, how much drop it needs, how far it needs to extend, what it needs to clear, etc.  With the many variations of bumpers, a universal drop plate could be hard to come up with.  With the drop plates mounted to the inside or outside of the frame rail, you have those dimensions from your truck already so you know the length of the cross piece, receiver tubes can be purchased, pre drilled.

Davin's hitch dimensions may not work for your truck since the tail of a ute looks different than the tail of yours.  Width might but you don't need that.  Your truck will provide that.  1/2 plate I think would be overkill.  Most of the class 3 receiver hitches are 1/4 to 3/8 plates.  Even most of the 5th wheel plates aren't that heavy.

• Like 1

The tow hitch on my 53 truck looks very old and 'home-made'. It may well be different to your truck (as Dave said) because of our 'ute' style trucks here in Oz. You will most likely have to notch the left side of the hitch plate to cater for your spare tire carrier (as you can see in GTK's hitch). I attached the PDF file as it may be able to be used as a template if printed in 'actual size' (or 100%). Be sure to post some pics when you get yours made.

Hitch end plate.pdf

post-3915-0-32053100-1406874198_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Got ahold of a used receiver hitch from a truck. It is the same width as the frame, but if you hold it up tight to the frame, it needs to be about 2 inchs lower, as well as about 2 inch back. This would allow the receiver to be right under the middle of the bumper.

I have a few options, cut off portion of the side brackets, and have 1/4 inch plate steel welded on to make up the difference, the hitch could then be bolted to the side of the rear of the frame.

Or another option, weld on some type of steel, to allow the receiver hitch to line up.

I will post pics tommorrow, will get this right at some point

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

FgF:  If you can mock up that receiver and it's close, there are hitches that raise and drop the ball height depending on what you need for your particular application.  Hiding it behind the bumper would conceal it when you're not using it.   Mike

True, but it needs to drop, in order to plug in the insert. This hitch receiver tube doe not have to be hanging out far or even beyond the bumper. It will have to be dropped 2 inches to allow the ball insert to get in. I am contemplating on what may be the best and most practical way to lower the entire receiver assembly, and whether it should be attached to the frame from the bottom edge, or up the entire side of the frame. I will post pics later, to illustrate..

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, made a proto-type receiver hitch for my Fargo, design is based on GTKs, I made the design, somebody else did the welding.

The side bracket holes need to be drilled, the bumper bracket , will have to be tweaked to fit over the hitch bracket,then all bolts to the frame.

I have some pics, keep in mind the hitch will be mounted higher, it is only sitting under the area in the pics. it is of the class 3 strength.

post-107-0-70050200-1408156376_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Trailer hitch mocked up, need to attach with  grade 8, 1/2 inch fine thread nut/bolts, and need to tweak bumper and bracket for a better fit.The bumper was a bit twisted so needs a straightening anyway. It fits pretty good, and should be perfect for trailers up to 5000lbs ...

post-107-0-07242200-1408292766_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

• 2 weeks later...

Mission completed, bumper and hitch back on and painted. i straightened bumper up a lot too, with oxy torch, and BFH, not beautiful, but a lot better than it was.

post-107-0-67997000-1409192920_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far