hub caps

I could be wrong, but I don't think they were ever stainless steel but if they were they were the a grade was subject to deteroration in the ones I've seen over the years. They really are a finishing touch as far as I'm concerned and my purchase of four hubcaps from Gary Roberts after some 30+ years of truck ownership proves it (for me anyway). Don't get me wrong though I don't mind seeing old dented hubcaps on an old truck either. (as long as there not mine). The hupcaps from Gary are oustandingly authentic and beautiful. I thinki they are stamped brass but not sure (a magnet should settle that) He has to pay Chrysler royalties for the production rights and that says something right there. I'm looking forward to getting new tires onto the old wheels I recentky had powdercoated Dodge Truck Cream like most of the guys here on the forum have done but it won't be till next spring I suppose.

Hank :)   

Thought you guys might get a kick out of this..........

My caps are all very poor and when I went to take off one of them, the outer shell came off in my hand in one big piece, leaving the core still on the wheel!!  :eek:

Photos attached.

By the way, the outer skin is not magnetic.  The main core is magnetic, the skin is not.

ps- I am headed out on a 2 week vacation tomorrow, so a bit out of communication.  I hope to stop and see a parts truck while on the trip though.

Paul

post-7134-0-14859800-1406922436_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-51157800-1406922445_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-04570900-1406922460_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Hatfield
  • Like 1