Anyone have any experience with Pertronix ignition?

ledfootslim

Hey guys, found these electronic ignition and coil kits that keep your stock distributor look and eleminate the breaker points and everything for $150- seems like a pretty good add on for a daily driver. Anybody have any experience with them?post-6801-0-36142800-1406567524_thumb.jpg

Edited by ledfootslim

big question here is to ask them point blank if the point plate will require a mod that renders it unusable should the Pertronix unit fail and you should have to try and limp in on points...keep in mind that also this change up kit is usually by order and has a few days lead time before deliverly...hotels are still not cheap..no biggy if you car stays near home..intended use is your best qualifier for ignition mods..there are a number of electronic ignition upgrades one can entertain that are supported entirely by your local big box parts house..many been listed here...a search will get you some very good reading/information

Hey guys, found these electronic ignition and coil kits that keep your stock distributor look and eleminate the breaker points and everything for $150- seems like a pretty good add on for a daily driver. Anybody have any experience with them?attachicon.gifIMG_20140728_121127.JPG

This has been cussed and discussed many times. Do a forum search.

• Like 1

This has been cussed and discussed many times. Do a forum search.

Thanks guys- I did search the forum,but I found no results for pertronix,electronic ignition etc. I just tried ignitor instead,and I found some results. If anyone has had experiinece with it recently, Id still like to hear from them. Also, Mr. Don, I saw in a few places where there were mentions of you having a dual point setup, but I never found specifics. It sounds intriguing though.......

big question here is to ask them point blank if the point plate will require a mod that renders it unusable should the Pertronix unit fail and you should have to try and limp in on points...keep in mind that also this change up kit is usually by order and has a few days lead time before deliverly...hotels are still not cheap..no biggy if you car stays near home..intended use is your best qualifier for ignition mods..there are a number of electronic ignition upgrades one can entertain that are supported entirely by your local big box parts house..many been listed here...a search will get you some very good reading/information

Well, I will surely call the techs at pertronix before I decide to order, but I must admit that I didnt understand some of your post, mostly the part about the hotel and whether or not the car stays close to home- thanks!

I have used Pertronix in a Scout. I promptly replaced it with a factory electronic when I found it. A lot of people use Pertronix with no problems. I was not overly impressed. NOT a bad unit, just didn't get what I was hoping for. As for a DD - I like my points or a factory electronic ignition adapted to our cars. If one set of points goes out, I have another set in and back on the road! Parts can be had a lot easier than if the Pertronix went out. You could even find a Pertronix on the shelf at a local speed shop for a later Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, but good luck getting one for a 6 volt positive ground flathead quickly.

Well, I will surely call the techs at pertronix before I decide to order, but I must admit that I didnt understand some of your post, mostly the part about the hotel and whether or not the car stays close to home- thanks!

I think what Plymouthy Adams was referring to is if you have a failure on the road more than easy towing distance to home: You likely won't find Pertronix replacement parts at the local auto supply and will have to mail order the parts needed to fix your car. That will take a few days and you'll need a hotel room for the duration.

I'm still running points. Largely because I think they work just fine and see little need to fix things that are not broken. But a spare set of points and a spare condenser are cheap and easy to keep in the glove box if I so desire. If I don't so desire, I can get a set, usually the same day, from any decent auto supply store. So it is unlikely that I'd need to spend too many nights in a motel room waiting for parts to be delivered, so there is an advantage to the old points and condenser setup for that. And I do take my car out of town from time to time. Last year to Arizona (about 2,000 miles round trip), a few years back to Oregon (about 1700 miles round trip).

• Like 1

Rubbing blocks can break, condensers can fail.....so you need to carry spares.  I would call Pertronix and find out if this is a straight bolt in like the Delco V8 distribs.  I installed one in my '64 Rambler V8 about 10 yrs ago and no problems.  I can convert it back to points in the time it takes to r&r points and condenser.  Even though these parts for the Delco are easy to find, I still carry a set of these things just in case......

Or, you can modify a /6 distrib to fit out engines, the 6 cylinders at least, and use the Chrysler electronic ignition.  I'm going to try that route one of these days.

• Like 1

while you may have done a search, was it executed correctly?    if you are in the technical page. on your very thread you just entered..you may only get a reply to very question you just posted...but, IF you were to go to the car/truck side at the very top level of the forum and do a search, the entire forum is at your desposal and the returns are many,  when executing a search just a minute ago the single word pertronix returns two pages of threads related to the subject...

one must realize where they are on the forum when during a search for it to be most effective..try the above advice and see what happens...you should be pleased with the results....

• Like 1

I added Pertronix in my '55 Truck (259 V-8) including the recommended coil.  The distributor plate did not need to be modified to screw down the new sensor.  So I carry the old points in the glove box as most have recommended even with the original points system.  I did the truck about 5 years ago and did my boat (350 Chevy - volvo I/O) about 14 years ago. No failures on either one.  

I do recommend calling Pertronix directly with the tag numbers from your distributor as they make a bazillion different units - most retail sellers don't have a clue.

• Like 1

while you may have done a search, was it executed correctly?    if you are in the technical page. on your very thread you just entered..you may only get a reply to very question you just posted...but, IF you were to go to the car/truck side at the very top level of the forum and do a search, the entire forum is at your desposal and the returns are many,  when executing a search just a minute ago the single word pertronix returns two pages of threads related to the subject...

one must realize where they are on the forum when during a search for it to be most effective..try the above advice and see what happens...you should be pleased with the results....

Alright, I will try that method- thanks much!

I put the Pertronix 6 volt positive ground system in my truck. I like it a lot so far.

Mods to the distributor depend on which model distributor you have. Mine required a simple mod to the base plate. This does render it useless for refitting the points. No big deal as far as I am concerned. I prefer the idea of "go or no go" over hunting down an ignition problem.

Every mod has its plus and minus sides. ;) I like this one a lot. Starts are almost instantaneous. I doubt the engine make a full revolution before it catches.With the matched coil you get a really nice spark.There are no moving parts and no adjustments required. I am happy to carry a spare ignitor module in the glove box.The way it fits together it can easily be changed at the roadside without pulling the distributor. Another plus is that the leads fit perfectly through the side of the distributor with a fitted rubber grommet and should never give you any trouble like the stock set up could.

Jeff

• Like 3

I recently installed a Pertronix, 6 volt Pos. ground unit in a Chrysler industrial engine application. I had purchased the Pertronix unit at a pretty good discount and was planning on using it in a future project. However, the condensor went bad, so I replaced the points with the Pertronix.

My reasons for replacing the points was solely because this particular application would be simpler than others that use the coil mounted to the firewall with the armored hot wire, and I was curious to see if there would be any advantages. I have electronic (Pertronix) modules in other applications, and they work well, but this was the first in the MoPar flathead.

First off, the unit was meant for another distributor. Either that or you're supposed to rip out the points pivot to install it. I want to be able to revert to points in an emergency, so I elected to 'custom' mount the Pertronix, drilling two holes and locating the unit 180 degrees from the points orientation. On this particular distributor, the fitment is a little of a Kludge, but that wasn't Pertronix's problem.

I use the stock coil. Performance is just the same as with the points (and a good condensor). It has always been a good starter, and smooth runner, and no change. In many decades of driving with points systems, I've only been stopped once by a bad component in the ignition system, a failed condensor. I have had one failure with electronic systems in about the same amount of driving. The only time I really dislike points is on the 392 hemi with a rear mounted dual-point distributor located right under the heater/vent box which makes adjustment and replacement a PITA.

For me, the only valid reason to use the Pertronix is the expectation that it would eliminate point bounce at high rpm's. Otherwise it really has no advantage, in a perfect world. In this imperfect world however, condensors are of crappy quality (compared to back in the day), so I changed. I also don't mind setting the points once a year or so, and any other "advantage" of the Pertronix is lost on me. Oh yea, one disadvantage of the Pertronix is the warning that leaving the ignition on with the motor not running will fry the unit.

With the Pertronix installed, I keep the points and a new condensor handy in case of failure. With other vehicles running points, I keep just a new condensor handy. So, it's a bit of a wash.

Edited by jeffsunzeri
  • Like 1

Oh yea, one disadvantage of the Pertronix is the warning that leaving the ignition on with the motor not running will fry the unit.

It will also burn out points, or melt all the goo out of your converted mopar electronic ignition box also..........never a good thing to leave on no matter what system you have.

It will also burn out points, or melt all the goo out of your converted mopar electronic ignition box also..........never a good thing to leave on no matter what system you have.

Ok, change of subject, but what do you mean by burn the goo out of the converted mopar electronic ignition box? I have mistakenly left the key on before, but I would think it would take hours at least to do any damage.......or is that wishful thinking?

As with most mods there are some variables and specific considerations to decide upon when making the mod.

I started off being completely happy to have a points type ignition. I prefer to avoid electronics whenever practical.

Points and condensors certainly works and should not be all that hard to keep working.....if you have all new OEM replacement parts. What I found though was that new points I had fitted from Napa were starting to pit fairly quickly. I bought replacements from two other sources and they didn't seem any better. In fact the one set I got from one of our sponsor sites looked like it had been made on a rock in Cambodia. Very sketchy materials indeed. At that juncture I decided to go ahead with a modification.

My rational for going with the Pertronix system was based on the idea that I wanted to keep the mod as simple as possible by retaining the existing distributor....eliminate the wear items and get a good hot spark. It is true that the Ignitor by itself will not provide a better spark than the stock system. In order to get that you must fit a matched performance coil. I went ahead and did this as part of the mod and it certainly makes a difference. If you want or need to prove this all you need to do is fit one of those adjustable gap spark testers to both set ups and you can clearly see the difference. How much difference does all this make to the way one of these engines runs? It is difficult to say without a boat load of side by side comparable data. I am happy with the way mine is running so that is good enough for me.

I don't know how long you can leave the ignition on when the engine is not running. I hope I will be able to avoid this. If someone has actually had a meltdown maybe they can chime in. As it is now I have to remember to turn off the electric fuel pump when I shut down so hopefully this will always serve as an adequate reminder.

As usual.... what works well for one isn't always the best solution for another.

Hope this helps; Jeff

• Like 1

I think what Plymouthy Adams was referring to is if you have a failure on the road more than easy towing distance to home: You likely won't find Pertronix replacement parts at the local auto supply and will have to mail order the parts needed to fix your car. That will take a few days and you'll need a hotel room for the duration.

I'm still running points. Largely because I think they work just fine and see little need to fix things that are not broken. But a spare set of points and a spare condenser are cheap and easy to keep in the glove box if I so desire. If I don't so desire, I can get a set, usually the same day, from any decent auto supply store. So it is unlikely that I'd need to spend too many nights in a motel room waiting for parts to be delivered, so there is an advantage to the old points and condenser setup for that. And I do take my car out of town from time to time. Last year to Arizona (about 2,000 miles round trip), a few years back to Oregon (about 1700 miles round trip).

I read all the time on this forum of members carrying an extra fuel pump, starter, generator, distributor, points, coil, master cylinder, wiper blades, fuses, spare tire, etc, etc, etc........why not extra petronix internals (or even a complete extra set-up @$150), should such a failure occur.....probably cheaper than lodging, meals, etc. It's going to get to the point, where we will have to tow a car behind our car, just in case. :cool:

• Like 1

I read all the time on this forum of members carrying an extra fuel pump, starter, generator, distributor, points, coil, master cylinder, wiper blades, fuses, spare tire, etc, etc, etc........why not extra petronix internals (or even a complete extra set-up @$150), should such a failure occur.....probably cheaper than lodging, meals, etc. It's going to get to the point, where we will have to tow a car behind our car, just in case. :cool:

you did well reading as you have and coming to that conclusion..that was the very point in the advice given...knowing your options...only the owner can make the final call on direction..but the choices should be clearly stated..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rubbing blocks can break, condensers can fail.....so you need to carry spares.  I would call Pertronix and find out if this is a straight bolt in like the Delco V8 distribs.  I installed one in my '64 Rambler V8 about 10 yrs ago and no problems.  I can convert it back to points in the time it takes to r&r points and condenser.  Even though these parts for the Delco are easy to find, I still carry a set of these things just in case......

Or, you can modify a /6 distrib to fit out engines, the 6 cylinders at least, and use the Chrysler electronic ignition.  I'm going to try that route one of these days.

I went the slant six route a couple of years ago and in my opinion its the only way to go

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this forum, but pretty savvy when it comes to mechanical terms and repairs. My question is what does the gentleman mean by point bounce @ high rpm's? My 51 dodge dump 1&1/2 ton starts missing after it has been run for awhile & it usually is @ higher speeds. If I let off the gas it will quit, but when I accelerate again it starts missing & jumping. Any ideas & thanks in advance.

point bounce refers to inadequate spring pressure on the points ....when spinning at the higher rpm it may not have sufficient tension to adequately close the points and allow for full saturation of the coil...you can measure you tension with a ounce gauge..should be around 17-20 ounces