Gasket making

_shel_ny

Ran across this while searching for gasket material.

Take it for what its worth, but if you are in a pinch..............

Poster used cheap Safeway PB

I made a 2-stroke head gasket out of a cheerios box and peanut butter expecting it to last a few minutes at most.

When I took the bike apart 10 years later I was stunned to see what looked like a cheerios box staring back at me. "What the hell is THIS? And who in their right mind... oh wait..."

Can you buy the cork material at a parts store?

There's a round, cork gasket between the oil bath air filter and carb on a P15.

Last I checked you can buy paper, cork and high temperature gasket sheet stock in various thicknesses at the better auto supply stores.

I purchased some of various kinds and thicknesses for my car a number of years ago and just pull it off the shelf when I need a new gasket for something. I find cutting cork gasket material cleanly to be a bit difficult but the various paper stocks are pretty easy. For example, I needed a paper gasket for my rear axle and made one using a circle cutting tool and a cheap set of Harbor Fright hole punches: http://www.ply33.com/Repair/axle_seal/

Can you buy the cork material at a parts store?

There's a round, cork gasket between the oil bath air filter and carb on a P15.

When I made one for my D24 I just used the paper type gasket material. Mine only need enough to eliminate the metal to metal contact, and a thick paper one did that. It snugged right up.

Yes, you can buy short rolls of it, some may stock it in bulk rolls and sometimes you can get a package of assorted gasket material with different types, sizes and thicknesses in it.  For cutting true round cork gasket, I've found used varying sizes of tin cans or tubing with a sharpened end works well, driving them down through the material much like a cookie cutter.  Punching them works better than cutting them.  If you have to cut them, try using an aviation snip on them after drawing out  the pattern first.

I have been running "temporary" cereal box gaskets for years. Some installed dry and some installed with grease smeared on them. I have used cereal boxes for more than one thermostat housing gasket, carb base gaskets, etc. Even cheap gaskets sometimes just get made from what is at hand if the gasket isn't at hand. Most are "cut" with a small hammer over the sharp edge of the parts gasket surface. Dad taught me that at a young age.

In 1966 me and a pal of mine used some covers of old Life magazine's as gasket material to put together a 3sp ford trans.  

We were also known, at times, to use toilet paper to shim rod bearings in the old falcon 6 cylinder cars.  Was a different time then.........