No power at 50mph and sooty plugs

Chrysler49

100% correct Don.  I've been in the parts business for years and have found it's often necessary to translate and interpret customer's terminology so you both end up talking about the same part.  "second spring" was the description used and understood by most on here as the type points you show in the photos. My point being that not all manufacturers used that design and that members should not assume their points are wrong or missing something if they do not look like your example.  I think if one digs far enough into distributor specs, you'll find a tension rating for the point spring.

• Like 2

It appears I was relying on the copper conductor without the spring. Still haven't had time to put the distributor back on.

I do have a vacuum gauge actually, which should help determine if I do indeed have a vacuum leak somewhere. At what junction on a flathead 6 wolf you hook into?

Adding the spring to the distributor amounted to a lot of success. I once again have power at and above 50 mph, but it now definitely needs timed properly. Has a bit of surging when hanging at 50-55 mph, and it's still spouting black smoke out the tail pipe.

All 40/50's Chryslers are electric wipers.

Gotta tap the intake manifold for correct vacuum.

I see there is a plug you can unscrew in the manifold just below the carb. I'd guess that'd be a good place to connect into. Thing is absolutely drinking fuel now. Hard to believe timing being off would cause the thing to burn so much fuel. Exhaust is black and I'd estimate around 5 miles to the gallon if the fuel gauge is somewhat accurate. Idle is definitely off, and I can hear it missing. Won't have access to my timing light for a few more days.

I see there is a plug you can unscrew in the manifold just below the carb. I'd guess that'd be a good place to connect into. Thing is absolutely drinking fuel now. Hard to believe timing being off would cause the thing to burn so much fuel. Exhaust is black and I'd estimate around 5 miles to the gallon if the fuel gauge is somewhat accurate. Idle is definitely off, and I can hear it missing. Won't have access to my timing light for a few more days.

Take a look at the step up circuit in the carb to see if it is hung up or not working properly. If either the piston is binding or the vacuum port is blocked off that would cause it to run real rich. Ask me how I know.

Jeff

Small gasket under the step up piston?

post-302-0-03021300-1406730347_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

The wrong base gasket will block the vacuum.

I had to disable the step up valve with my twin carb setup. Cured my over fueling issue.

Could not park the car in the garage due to the gas smell. Plugs were fouling wirh carbom and soot coming out of the tail pipe. Plug are now clean and the exhaust is not smelly anymore. Car now in garage...

^^^^^^Yep!

You better taker it in to the dealer.

And plug in the diagnostics on the computer?? ;)

DJ

• Like 1

Haven't properly set the timing yet bit it's close enough to test drive a bit. Car seems to be running pretty well down the road, it's at idle I seem to be running really rich. Notice getting gas that the fuel cap sucks ALOT of air when unscrewing. Could I be having a venting issue? Cap is only a year old, but I suppose the backfire could have done something.

You need to run a vented cap. The gas tank sucked in on top?

Get the timing set first.  You know that could be off a bit and it can make the car smoke.  Once the ignition system is functioning as it should be and it's eliminated from the possible cause list, you can start looking at the fuel system.