49 engine swap

Wayfaring Stranger

what engine/trans to put in a 49 wayfarer sedan  

9 members have voted

1. 1. best 225ish hp+ engine/trans combo to put in a 49 wayfarer sedan W/O changing steeering or cutting frame?

• 3.6L pentastar
    • 2.4L turbo 4
    • SOHC V6
    • other
    • 4.7L PowerTech
    • LA V8 (316,340,360)
    • BMW S-series inline 6

I'm satisfied the LA s, in all their displacements, are the same swap, fit wise. Thanks guys.

The EFI/computer question seems to stop a lot of new late model swaps. I'm going to try and find some online drifters that may have swaped 4ts and know how to tune/program them. Sure seems like a whole wrecked donor car is the way to go for all these new EFIs , even the pentastars. Full brain transplant style.

I did a little googling in regards to the turbo 4s.

The pt cruiser GTs and dodge neons SRTs had different configurations, but I feel are both likely to fit.

The neons were really a test platform for the 07 Dodge Calliber SRT roll out. They seem to have made some changes as the neons had 224 hp and the Calibers 280+. My guess is all of them have similar things to overcome, mainly rear wheel drive trans set up and overcoming the computers. I do think the drifter community is very tech savvy and likely a good source for these answers. I'm still waiting for someone to say "steering colum...won't fit." In case they do,... :) ..., could you take a rear ended donor dodge caliber and make a front wheel drive wayfarer.....hmmmm.

Ps its been brought to my attention that reading such "ideas" makes half of us smile and the other half vomit. Please remember if you are smiling, be respectful of those purging, and if you are heaving as you read this, we aren't laughing at you...we're just smiling.

Enjoy

WS

The SRT-4 in the Caliber is inferior to the Neon version, somewhat downgraded compared in quality compared to the Neon version, not the same motor.  The bell housing and transmission used with 2.4 Jeeps ought to work with either turbo motor.   The SRT-4 motors are often modified and thrashed.

Another option, rarely pursued for swaps is the inline sixes of the BMW 3 Series.  These are refined motors.   The Toyota and Lexus inline sixes are also good choices and have less costly aftermarket support than the BMW six.    The 2JZ might be a bit too long, I think it is closer to the length of the slant six.    The older 7MGE would easily fit where a 230 flathead was removed, but good used Supra motors are getting hard to find.  JDM motors might still be available.  The 7MGE has the same bore spacing as the 230 flathead, and should be more narrow in the bottom of the block as it is overhead cam.  The Toyota R154 transmission is excellent, very strong.  I'm partial to inline sixes, as is BMW.

Edited by Tim Keith

Just a thought, you mentioned some engines did not have the hp you wanted. I would like to suggest that it may be that, say a larger displacement engine would work better even if it did not have the same hp as a turbocharged smaller engine because of low end torque, which would be helpful on these rather heavy Mopars.

Just a thought, you mentioned some engines did not have the hp you wanted. I would like to suggest that it may be that, say a larger displacement engine would work better even if it did not have the same hp as a turbocharged smaller engine because of low end torque, which would be helpful on these rather heavy Mopars.

i thought turbo lag may come up.  true, it would take a second to get it wound up, but it would be screaming on the back half of that 1/4 mile. :)

she'd come of the line like a flathead and then go weeeeeeeeeeeee,...all the way home.(sortta like my ex).  

The wayfarer sedan only weighs 3200lbs stock, so does the Dodge Caliber SRT by chance. 

for me, The biggest draw back of the heavy engines is the stop and start nature of the driving id like to do with it. great from zero to alot and eating up large helpings of open highway, but not so much for starting and stoping from stop sign to redlight to parkinglot to drivethru ...mmmmmyumm.

Another option is the VW TDI turbo diesel.   Stock these motors don't have the power that you want, but there is aftermarket support to increase the output.   The diesel Jetta weighs 3,200 pounds as well, and can get 45+ MPG.   There is considerable aftermarket for these motors to make them into hot rods.   The older TDIs from the late '90s and early 2000s can be more easily modified than the newer VW diesels.   The Acme kit uses a Toyota transmission, costs about $650 for flywheel and adapter.   The Toyota R154 transmission is bulletproof.

Edited by Tim Keith

Wow...whole new line of thinking.

From experience, I can say that the 3.0 Nissan (1995 300ZX Turbo coupe) runs like a raped ape.  Not sure what became of that particular engine but if the lineage continued then Nissan would have only improved it. I put many hard miles on the car and it ran flawlessly.

Chrysler LeBaron with L4 and turbo... avoid it!   Perhaps MotherMopar learned some valuable lessons from that experiment.

1995-up Chrysler LHS, Intrepid and similar have/had an excellent v-6. I had one of each and thoroughly impressed with the performance. These were not small cars but ran hard and had great mpg.

The newer Chargers and such have a very good v-6 that hauls the semi-large sedans very well and offers darn good mpg.

All of these cars are computer controlled and the newer units will basically require transplanting everything from the donor car in order to convince the various computers that all is well so it will actually allow you to start and drive...earlier is probably better.

I would expect that the available I-6 like the BMW will also be computer heavy so if you need to minimize the 'smart' engines and still have EFI then you should look at what was available pre-90 or so.

How about the Yamaha built v-6 from a Taurus SHO?

With the VW diesel being suggested, I must mention the early Touareg  V-10 turbo Diesel...553 lb-ft of torque and very compact...the challenge would be to find one since they were only imported from 2002-2007 before 'something' happened...

With all of this considered, I would probably go back to the 4.7/5.9 Magnum series and rely on torque. Every 1998-2003 Durango made had either 4.7, 5.2 or 5.9 and are now littering the pages of Craigslist. We just replaced our 2002 w/4.7 at 155,400 miles and still feel a bit like a thief as we never had any issues other than regular maintenance (and one MAP sensor) and that car would always go 20-22mpg on the highway. I am sure that it would go 200k easy.

Keep us posted.

Edited by wayfarer

OK another thought, light to medium duty diesel delivery trucks, like Nissan Denso, Mitsubishi Fuso and Isuzu have dual overhead cam 4 valve per cylinder 4 and 6 cylinder turbo and dual turbo diesels that are quiet, put out between 185 and 245 HP and have 6 speed automatic or manual transmissions.  Get good fuel mileage, don't stink, and run forever and are pretty compact.   

Please don't start with this crap. I was hoping for real feedback not blow hards who either can't read or can't control themselves from spamming the thread with the 180 out of the question. There's always gotta be one, lets hope your the only one. Last time, say it with me .....NOT AN OPTION. I'm sure there is a "why the strait six is in harmonic balance with the universe" post somewhere in here, go find it! ....or follow directions and stay on topic.

I guess I am confused :confused:   This guy in post #2 is a blow hard, then you start a thread titled ---  please convince me to keep my flathead!!!!

I have no input either way as to what you do with your car. It's yours. Do as you wish. Just an observation.

I guess I am confused :confused:   This guy in post #2 is a blow hard, then you start a thread titled ---  please convince me to keep my flathead!!!!

I have no input either way as to what you do with your car. It's yours. Do as you wish. Just an observation.

I have 2 wayfarers. one is stock flathead/fluid drive. and will remain so. i started the other thread for people to call me a "blow hard" on,....you posted on the wrong thread. This thread is for people that have,have had, or know something relevent to some-what powerful engines that would work in a 49 mopar product with minamal structual modifications.  And a ThankYou to all who have posted relevently. 

WS

If I were considering a late model swap I'd look at a Jeep 2.5. Its not powerful, the ones in Cherokee only had 140 hp, but its a capable motor within its limits.  Same as the 4.0 with two fewer cylinders. Actually the 2.5 came first.  It does have a GM bell housing pattern so some of the T5 bell housings ought to work.  I'm not obsessed with power, I guess.   The Jeep 2.5 is built for low and mid range torque, good for off road use.  There is little aftermarket support for the 2.5, 140 net hp, is better than the 103 gross hp of the 230.  The 2.5 does respond to turbo charging, but those kits won't produce the 250 target.   Compared to the GM 2.5 "iron Duke" the Jeep 2.5 is powerful.

Another love it or hate it motor is the GM 3500 Vortec in the Atlas family.  This five is relatively powerful but has harmonics that some find annoying, best with a quiet muffler some say.  The Inliners.org would have information on the 3500

wow this is surreal. you delete my post where I called a guy a dingleberry, but leave his post where he tells me to F-off!  read his post " so noted. fo  "

im i on candid camera?

You should sign off the computer now, your mom has Hot Pockets and Kool-Aid ready.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTJJ1322768628_355556.jpgSome sort of japanese motor here...Nissan?

That could be a Nissan KA24E, I have one.   The KA24 is a tough (and kind of heavy) motor that is often turbocharged.  In the stock form its no powerhouse, the twin cam 'DE' version is a little more powerful.  Actually these motors were rated at about the same output as the na Porsche inline four of that era.  These are good motors that have some aftermarket support. I'm not sure if its a KA24, but those could achieve the 250 hp if they were turboed.

One bumpy ride on this thread. :eek:

That could be a Nissan KA24E, I have one.   The KA24 is a tough (and kind of heavy) motor that is often turbocharged.  In the stock form its no powerhouse, the twin cam 'DE' version is a little more powerful.  Actually these motors were rated at about the same output as the na Porsche inline four of that era.  These are good motors that have some aftermarket support. I'm not sure if its a KA24, but those could achieve the 250 hp if they were turboed.

Some dude on the hamb has it installed, it is a 6 has some decent ponies.....maybe out of a pathfinder? Really can't remember