Rod's Messed up Column Shifter

Who needs Reverse anyway ? Anyone knows you can always Flintstone when absolutely necessary. Not that Rod needs any help figuring anything out, but I've saved my complete replaced steering column for parts and think fixing Rod's is a worthy cause.

IMG_20140723_124417_775_zps0b065482.jpg

Everything on Rod's looks flip-flopped and there are broken parts Mickey Moused together (note hoseclamp) Lever 19-46-16 looks to be reversed and the tab that should be on the column (spot welded? just above the spring) is missing.   

IMG_20140723_124456_404_zps65ec54a9.jpg

My shift mechanism.

Page19-1.jpg

It looks fixable don't you think ? Any help appreciated.

Friends don't let friends drive messed up trucks

Hank  :confused:

Edited by HanksB3B

I am sure you can fix it.

On another note, the column shifter in my 51 works better than ANY column shifter I have EVER had. I dont know why, its absolutely perfect and a pleasure to drive with. At 51 yrs old, I've driven a few 3 on the trees and this one is smooooooth and flawless.

I am sure you can fix it.

On another note, the column shifter in my 51 works better than ANY column shifter I have EVER had. I dont know why, its absolutely perfect and a pleasure to drive with. At 51 yrs old, I've driven a few 3 on the trees and this one is smooooooth and flawless.

Mine too !

Thanks for the words of encouragement

Hank  :)

I'm 33 and I still CAN'T drive 3 on the tree :P, but I can drive a 13 speed all day....talent that's becoming lost with time I guess

The truth comes out: 33, can't drive 3-on-a-tree...

Ever since my friend Fast Eddie told me about when he was eight his Dad showed him off to a bunch of fellow truckers by having him back the truck up between two others into the loading dock. Seems Dad made a bunch of money on that one. Ever since that I always wanted to learn to drive an eighteen wheeler and never did.

Oh well next lifetime,

Hank  ;)

Edited by HanksB3B
  • Like 1

I recall messing around with the steering column in my blue truck Hank as I had a similar issue as Rod. They are not easy to get off the steering shaft with the steering box still in the truck. From memory you can undo the steering box & drop it down a bit to give you the length (or height) you need to slide the column off. The column tube is light gauge & easy to blow holes in when welding if not careful (don't ask!). I have had some of those springs made & can send one over for you/Rod if you need one.

I have a few parts for the shifter if you need them Hank.

I can't seem to see the shifter lever (19-46-16) on Rod's.....I see the stud and bushing (19-46-20/19-48-6)

Yours is postioned in front of the column and his in the back....or is it just a homemade lever?  

Am I not looking at it right or are you missing the nut (19-47-2) on the outside of the swivel ?

Honestly Rod's looks like the steering box was replaced (which means replacing the whole column) with a non column shifter and then patching the shifting components onto it. And judging from the picture, its not working at the moment or the least, not very well. I wonder if you can get just the column housing (has the shifter tabs located) and slide it on. I haven't taken just a housing off before so I can't say.

48D

confession: I skipped over Davin's post somehow.....missing his comment on sliding the column off. sorry guys :huh:

Edited by 48dodger

Tim,

I have the complete steering box and coluimn shifter set-up from my 51 but remember Rod's truck is a 50 and if I remember correctly the steering box mounts differently. I think there are some parts that are identical between the year/models, but not sure yet. And yes, there are definately parts missing. Best case senario would be if the outer strreing column sleeve is the same. Otherwise I'm thinking the parts I have and a little ingenuity might work.

Would someone with a properly set-up 48-50 Series truck please post a picture or two. I think that might help.

Thanks,

Hank :)  

From what I've seen in my parts pile....48-49 steering boxes are different from the 50.

I have a 52 laying around too, so I'll take a look tonight. 

The 52 frame is under the B1BQ, so I'll be interested to see whats there.

The rest of the steering columns are up on the rafters of my shop. 

I also have a 50 parts truck that was a column shift (first year?)

I'll start there.

48D

48 and 49 wouldn't have column shift as that didn't start until the B2 series. I think I have a complete steering column from a B-2-C with column shift. I don't know it's condition as it was on the parts truck I parted out when building my truck. I'd have to dig it out and have a look, but it would be a few days before I could get to it.

Merle

48 and 49 wouldn't have column shift as that didn't start until the B2 series. I think I have a complete steering column from a B-2-C with column shift. I don't know it's condition as it was on the parts truck I parted out when building my truck. I'd have to dig it out and have a look, but it would be a few days before I could get to it.

Merle

Hello Merle,

Rod's Truck is a 1950, so if my 51 is a B3 then I'm "assuming" a 50 is a B2. I know Rod doest't think a truck is a truck unless it has a floor shift (o.k.?) so I might be going into left field with this one as he does have a 3-speed floor shift transmission he might want to install so don't ship anything till we hear from Rod. (I hope he's not mad at me for posting this...haven't heard from him all day) Maybe I should have titled this thread "Got Floor Shift Cover Plate"

Thanks, 

Hank  :)

Thanks EVERYBODY for helping Hank figure out  best how to fix my 3 on da tree shifting dilemma. No way I can be mad @ Hank, he has  owned his truck for over 30 years and I only picked my up a year ago. He has been a great source of information. and his truck has been my Japanese  Blue Print ( It is PERFECT ! ) . I know Hank is a good friend and just trying to get my truck as reliable as his is so we can one day cruise up North  to the BBQ in our TRUCKS. LOL He was the first one I called when I lost my axle nut, THAT is the one extra spare part he did not have. I need to buy a box and give him a few.

I had picked up a one ton floor  3 speed  from a GREAT forum member in Santa Barbara some time ago and with Hank's spare parts I know for pretty sure it WILL fit  same pilot bushing and might be a straight out swap out. I don't plan on ever having three men in the cab with me and I have found out this truck could have been ordered with a floor shift rather than column shift. So keeping it  in original  shape and something totally reversible is with in what I like to do. The truck was already converted to 12 V , Not even sure if it's still the original motor.  The guy who sold me the truck ( and I am still paying ) said his guy swapped out a lot of motors in the few years they were playing with it.

But I do have a question and a request for a picture, If I do YANK out the column and replace with the floor shift. Does the shift boss on the column just stay there and pull the pin ? How about the steering shaft column?  Do I just disconnect all the linkage ?   Thanks again Everybody for the GREAT information and just being there. Hope one day to meet some of you guys one day, Rod

post-6074-0-33460700-1406572609_thumb.jpg

If you can get the steering wheel off, you can disconnect the steering box at the mounts, and undo the pitman arm and slid it out through the bottom (I did that this year w my 49 1 ton) so I know it will work.   If you have another outer tube for the floor shift model, you probably only need to drop it a foot or so to slide the column shift tube off the box and replace it with the plain model.   Mike

Thanks for the kind words Rod. Just for fun let's plan getting together at your Mom and Pops early one Saturday morning. We can R and R your three speed column and replace it with your stick shift unit. I could use some help dropping my trans so I can install new front and rear seals, rebuild my e-books drum and shoe with NOS ones and add a gasket Davin and I think will cure some leaks we suspect originate between the bell housing and trans. 

If we can't get your mom to make us lunch... I'll buy since you don't eat much anyhow,

Hank  :P

Edited by HanksB3B

Boy those two green trucks look good parked side by side! Where was that little Italian place not far from Rod's parents place that the 3 of us went for lunch on our big day out? They sure did good food! 

Rod, my 53 truck had the column shift removed and a floor shift installed. It appears that they did just as Mike said in post #16. I will be converting it back soon, but it is an easy enough option of you want to go that way. I recall seeing that floor shift gearbox in the back of your truck when you dropped around Hank's when I was there.

Hank, I found that gasket between the bell housing and the engine stopped the oil weep that I had from that area. You may have to use some sealer on the transmission case where the counter-shaft comes though the transmission case there though as the gasket doesn't cover that area.

OR......for 50 bucks (bbq money, lol) I can send you a complete column housing for ya. 

48D

Personally, I'd jump on that ! Well not literally..Well maybe with an extra shift lever, it would make one heck of conversation piece as a Mopar Pogo Stick.

Davin's got that Springmaker mate of his that can fabricate anything in stainless,

p.jpg

Yes, that was one heck of an Italian sandwich shop. I think I'd order an Buon Gusto Salami sandwich from there for my last meal before being executed.

Hank

P.S. Although I was prepared to do my Civic Duty...Woo Hoo no Jury was selected today, so in one day I was done with Jury Duty ! 

Edited by HanksB3B

Thanks Hank and Everybody for the parts and words of encouragement .The " Jacket " for my steering column is what has failed at the pivot point. Hank's replacement part is repairable and out of the truck. I am thinking my plan will be to install the 3 speed floor shift, fake a floor panel for now. I will get the " new " part repaired for future use and maybe one day convert BACK to the 3 on da tree. One of the big decisions to make is as long as I have the tranny out should I do a full clutch job and do the universals at the same time. I am still paying my friend for the truck ( money's tight,) I've so many " little " things  to do . I've been  kinda lucky so far we here in CA are in a drought, She leaks like a spaghetti stainer, and all of my break downs have been within my mechanical abilities.

This Forum and YOU gentlemen have be wonderful to us newbie Pilothouse Truck owners, I know sometimes the requests for information are duplicated  and sometimes the newbie had not researched thru the archives enough but I am VERY happy to have found you all and been part of this " Group " .  I don't normally use my truck as a daily driver but I do use it, I have always had trucks but never a " Vintage Project " Always fun to see the reactions of people when I have one of the other projects in tow. Thanks again EVERYBODY, Till the next  delay (breakdown) always remember to try and have fun, Life's Short. Rod

post-6074-0-63344500-1407173107_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

No Don it is not pushing the truck, As you might guess it is easier for me to PULL the truck backwards then fixin the reverse, I'm kinda weird that way.   LOL   Rod

Edited by RodFru2u

• 2 years later...

Had to dig up this old thread about my 3 speed column shift, Seems someone some time ago had their hands in my transmission. The only reason I know this,I had a problem with being able to shift as I got off the freeway here in So Cal. I managed to get to a parking lot to check out my problem. I found a milky fluid running out between the engine & tranny           I am NOT a transmission expert or have even torn a transmission apart by myself, I figured with Hank's help and some good pictures I might tear into the guts to see what happened. Found some one must have lost the original countershaft locking plate and replaced it with a sub standard piece of scrap.  After I had AAA flat bed  my truck  (50 B2B) to my Pop's house I called Hank ( my Expert), He came to my rescue again with a "clean" tranny case and guts just like mine. I told him  there was a shaft sticking out the back of the trans, he said nope should be a lock plate with a bolt. Mine had 1/2  a lock plate. Long story short , remade substandard part, saw Hank's case with original plate twice the width of mine. Remade locking plate and replaced top plate and gasket, I never pulled the transmission just did it all from the top

Well Poop happens, when the plate broke, the counter shaft  slid out 1.5" and dropped the front washer in the case. I felt the grinding some when I shifted between some gears ( again SHOULD have listened to my " expert" and yanked the trans.). So we jacked the beast in the air with stands on all four corners and dropped the slush box.  Ripped apart the box and found the front washer.had indeed dropped off the counter shaft and was sitting on a ledge in the case. HOWEVER when I checked the parts page picture I saw the front "washer" seems to show a "flat" washer and the two rear " washers" show a grooved ( I assume oil slingers) . For some reason whom ever had their hands in my transmission found things wrong and tried to correct them by just swapping parts.     I found the front flat washer was now a broken rear grooved brass washer and the two in the rear were one flat and one brass grooved. Checked a few places, no luck so far. Reassembled the transmission with same size washers while I hunt some replacements and I will be installing the floor shift transmission trying to get out of the neighbors front window.

Counter Shaft Lock Plates 1.jpgTransmission Washers 1.jpgTransmission Broken Washer2.jpg

Hi Rod. I felt for you when I spoke with Hank about your gearbox woes recently.

i look forward to catching up with you again in March. Drop me a PM with the parts you need as I have spare trannies & will bring parts with me (if you can wait about 8 weeks).

Edited by Desotodav