49 B1B Frame Swap

Hey guys,

I am finally in the process of working on my 49 B1B. Has anyone done a s10 frame swap? Is there any frame that's better than the other? I look forward to everyone's input!

Sure, it's been done.  S-10 seems to be the go to frame for almost every frame swap conceived whether it fits well or not.  Eastwood has one going on, builder used to post here, not much, if any, lately.  Early 90's Dakota fit the width of the your body much better.  Several years ago a member built his truck around a C-4 Vette chassis and suspension upgrades can be done to your present frame and it will fit perfectly.

Try the search button for frame swaps and settle in for some reading.  Lots there.

• Like 1

The Dakota works very well, but if your wanting an s10 frame than I'd get on YouTube and type in Eastwood pile house. Eastwood is building a 1950 truck on a s10 frame. Lot of cool stuff and they show a lot.

I have looked into the frame swap as well, as I have collected a few stray body parts from others' project leftovers.  The 1st gen Dakota is a close fit to the B-1-B-108 in wheelbase & track width.  The Ramcharger has a close fit wheelbase but the track is too wide.  S-10 has a close fit wheelbase but the track is too narrow for my liking.  Fitting the Pilot-House on a D-series or BR-series Ram is a lot of work as the track is too wide, so ya have to flare the fenders or get creative on fender placement.  Any way ya go, it'll be work but you'll get modern gearing & braking :cool:

Great! Thanks, JBNeal. I'm looking at a s10 chassis tomorrow, we will see what I decide.

I have my 53 on a 91 Dakota frame and it fits well. I actually initially put it on an S-10 frame and the front wheels were tucked in way to far in the front fenders and it needed an s-10 4x4 rear end to even get clearance on my box. I ditched the s-10 frame and put it on the Dakota. Eastwood knew that the track was narrow, but were willing to put real wide wheels on it. I did not like the look.  Hope this helps.

Had the chance to visit Eastwood in Pottstown PA when I went home to visit my Mom. They took me back in the shop to show me the truck up close. Let me say this that they guys on this site are more creative and do better work as far As I can tell. that project is in its 3rd year with tons of work to go. what a beautiful shop with tons of tools and help and endless supply of anything they might need. I venture to say that truck would have been done a while ago if any of us would have half of that. Actually made me fell real good about my project and what I have achieved myself in a short time.

• Like 2

Well I ended up with a s10 chassis, I couldn't pass up a rolling chassis for $125. I am still in the design and engineering phase, so we will see what happens. Thanks for everyone's input!

• 3 weeks later...

mine is a B-1-C. rides on an 87 dakota chassis. 3.9 V6, 904 and all. mine was a longbed reg cab chassis (124inch WB) my 49 is 116. i chopped the frame where the factory seams them together, and fabbed up all the mounts. everything fits like a glove. a very easy conversion. i have about 1000 miles on mine. ample power, 21-22mpg, drive anywhere.

031_zps284853c6.png

032_zpse2dcc6fb.png

026_zps70dd2859.png

036_zps699d6144.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

seat is dakota seat, i removed the stock "riser" from the cab floor, used 2 1/2" sqaure tube under my seat tracks. steering wheel comes further back in the cab, and at a lower angle than stock. i am 6'2" and 245lbs, and it is plenty comfortable to me. we have driven to quite a few events, some 2-3 hours each way, and even the wifey likes driving it, with no complaints. so,that ought to say something, lol.

only thing i would maybe do different, would be to use a tilt column. i don't need or care for the truck having it, i'm just saying most people like them.

• 5 months later...

So I have decided to fit the S10 suspension to the dodge frame. This should allow me to keep the updated suspension and brakes, and the body will fit without any fabrication to the frame. The next step will be to prep the frame and start fitting the suspension. Thanks for all the info, guys!

• 4 years later...

Anything is possible. It just depends on whether you want to shrink or enlarge the frame or the body to fit or move the rear suspension forward or back. I shortened my dakota frame 2 feet, completely re-‘engineered’ the rear suspension, channeled the body, and sectioned my bed 12” and it still kinda looks like a lowered 1/2 ton with fancy wheels. 

I do know that the jeep zj rear is 4”ish too narrow. 

On 7/6/2019 at 10:29 AM, Harry g said:

I want to put pics of my  s10 /Dodge but it wont allow me

I wish it did that with all things chevy.....lol.....Harry you probably have to downsize your pictures before they will be accepted by this format. Good Luck.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Awesome lead brother, that answers alot of questions. It is definitely possible. I'm not looking to increase the size if the cab interior. I think I am gonna go a more simple route of getting the width by adding some side steps on the cab and fender flares or add some width to the fenders. I also gotta deal with a 24 valve instead of a 12 valve which adds some cost to the wiring and some considerable headache there with the ECU but I can tune it. That thread definitely helps clarify some areas I have been wondering about. I'm gonna take a different approach with 2nd Gen frame and a '49 B1 but there is enough in that thread to get an initial plan of attack.