Got to Play in a Peterbilt

linus6948

My Buddy bought himself a lightly used Peterbilt Dump Truck with low miles and a box that had only been used to haul sand. The driver who drove it to PA from Kansas over-reved the Cat diesel engine coming down a nearby mountain and blew the engine. The truck dealer in Kansas made good on their drivers error and forked over 10 grand for a Cat rebuilt motor with new injectors.

As my friend has yet to get his air-brake endorsement added to his CDL license he needed someone to drive it home from the engine shop to his farm about 30 miles away. As I never dropped my CDL after retiring I offered to help him out by driving it home and then taking him out with his learners permit to practice getting used to the air-brakes.

I had a blast rekindling old memories and it wasn`t a 1/4 mile before some distracted a-hole in a Mercedes almost met his untimely demise coming out of a parking lot right into my path. Happily this truck had a set of enormous air-horns which I instinctively laid into, I`m pretty sure the older gentleman in the German sedan 'soiled himself" but at least he lived to crap his pants another day.

My friends air-brake lesson went very well all things considered, he was not familiar with using them at all but picked it up very quickly. He has bought himself one sweet truck, I`d be happy to drive it again anytime.

post-4221-0-67778700-1406027902_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-15688700-1406027976_thumb.jpg

Paul

My Buddies new truck was quite an upgrade from what I got to cut my teeth on 30+ years ago like this dated Mack dump.  I used to put 100 plus miles a day on this dated behemoth on the 6500 acres of aeronautical areas of JFK airport. This truck had locomotive grade airhorns too, but the jets could always out due me noise wise.

post-4221-0-39051400-1406040792_thumb.jpg

Thats a nice clean looking truck. Hope he doesn't put dents in that box!

• Like 1

Yes I was giving somebody the "high-sign" actually I think it was aimed at my Supervisor, sort of a salute, I`m afraid I`ve always had trouble with authority figures.