Rewiring 6 volt to 12 volt

rfcr
Go to solution Solved by rfcr,

Hello All,

I have started to rewire my 46 P-15 and just was wanted to know what size wire should I use, 16, 14, or 12 gage. I checked the Tech section and could not find what I'm looking and searched the web but the $800 plus for a wiring harness is to much. I plan to take one wire at a time and replace it with a new wire then buy the rapping. I am starting with the gas sending unit, then the rear, signal and brake lights, so if someone can answer the size of wire for these areas first it would be great. Thanks.

Young Ed,

I checked my anual for a 12 volt system but they all (P-15 thru P-20) show 6 volt. Will the 14 gage wire work on a 12 volt system?

Yes wire for 6v you can use 6 or 12. You won't find a specific list for a p15 that shows 12v wiring.

Man if your 12 volt on this car I'd definitely look at a harness with fuses for whatever your may add to your car. Rebel looked reasonably priced.

Even if staying 6 volt and not worried about the wire not being cloth coated I'd definitely look at the Rebel 6 volt kit.

Why- way easier in the long run, more fuses to protect devices as stock only has 1 or 2. + big + they use different colors for each wire and they are labeled for Future repairs if needed! It's very hard to buy many different colors of wire where I live ( No. CA.) plus connectors that usually are in the kits (check). Lastly the wires are pretty straight v.s. rolled wire bought at the parts store.

The only possible area of concern is if you keep 6 volt horns and run them on 12v. you will probably need a relay added with heavy wire from the relay to the horns.

Your choice, ;)

DJ

When I wired my truck I built a harness first. Took me forever to debug it. Now I do it differently. I connect the guages and switches in the dash, can do that on a bench, then I run all the wires that go to the engine compartment to an eight bolt connector bar. Those wires are carefully labeled.

Then I run wires out from the bar to the front lights, the rear lights, etc. I enjoy the work so that makes it easy for me to do. This wiring is on pre '55 models. I do go 12 volt. If I need a wire for some add on, I just run a wire from the Ig switch to the 'bar' and I'm good to go.

Lots of ways to do things.

Kwikwire is another good source. I have a harness from them in my dodge. Wires are labeled what they are for.

I rewired my Plymouth as original, and added a small fuse block to run my additional accessories, such as wipers, stereo, and cigarette lighter. Haven't had any problems, and did as Ed did, used the wire gauge off of the '49 diagram.

Edited by steveplym