Marine Clean & Slow Cooker Method

mattimuss

Hey All,

I was reading a topic in here about using a slow cooker and some Marine Clean.  This combo sounds like it really does a nice job on dirty parts.

I searched for more info on this method, both within this forum and on the Internet, no joy.

Can anyone elaborate?

Mix ratios?

Cook time?

Toxicity levels?

Smells?

As always, thanks in advance for any help provided.

Alright Guys & Gals,

82 views and not one answer?!  Come on...

What, do I stink?  I shower and brush my teeth twice a day so that can't be it...

I haven't said or done anything bad yet and have been a "good netcitizen", so that can't be it...

You guys are starting to give me an inferiority complex here...

I'll go sit in the corner now...

• Like 2

Hey All,

I stumbled upon the "marine clean & slow cooker" subject while reading the posts in this forum from the gentleman that made all the restoration videos.  Here is the reply that sent me on the chase:

I think I'm goin' to get a gallon of "Marine Clean" and try the slow cooker method. The website say to do it 1:1 all the way up to 1:10.with water. I like the way the parts look when they come out.

Tom

I was wondering what web site Tom was referencing so I could read up on this method.  I want to avoid mixing the concoction too "hot" and having my wife or daughter find me passed out on the floor of my garage.  However...I think she just increased my life insurance policy so she may want me to experiment!  Just kidding!

I did an Internet search but didn't find anything.  This sounds very interesting and I thought that others had already tried it.

I think I'll start off with a 1:10 mixture ratio and see how it goes...

If you guys don't hear from me in a couple days check the San Diego cragislist for my '41...

I recently was given a gallon of driveway and garage floor degreaser. It says to mix with water and spray on stains. I cut this 50/50 with water and soaked several greasy parts in a five gallon pail for 24 hours. Next day a light brushing and rinse, and the parts are nearly 100% degreased. Not sure how it works on the garage floor...

This also captured my curiosity and I tried 6 ways from Sunday to search it out on the web and came up empty, could not find a thing. In fact my Wife inquired what I was so intently searching out and she told me to forget about it as I was not going to do it in her house. She is still a little testy from when I charred some American White Oak in the basement for  whiskey making.

I thought the charred oak smelled great, she was in complete and utter disagreement and expressed her opinions at the time quite vehemently.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Cleaner-Degreaser_p_14.html

Found info that says Por15's present cleaner degreaser, was

formerly "marine clean".

Even is cleaning greasy parts with not flammable cleaners and heat,

we need to be careful. The grease from the parts could be flammable.

I use an old cooking grill out back of the shop to warm up soapy water

to clean greasy parts. I read on the net, of heating up antifreeze as

a parts cleaners, since the boiling point would be much higher than just

soapy water. I have not tried this yet...

Never heard of it before but pretty sure my wife would have a fit if it tried it. Apparently curing exhaust manifolds in the kitchen stove was out too.  :D

I roasted mine before she got up. Then opened the front and back doors to get the smell out.

You could probably use warm, or hot water in the process, but from the product description listed on the seller website it does not sound like a "slow cooker" would enhance the performance.

Seems like a good product used as directed.

If slow cooking, or BBQ'ing, I would do it outside in the fresh air.

Read up on electrolytic rust removal. It also removes paint, and stops eating when it gets to bare metal.

Sodium Carbonate is cheap, and most gearheads already have battery chargers.

I have pics of the process up here in my album.

I saw that demo on Marine Clean and slow cooker - you can view it on youtube video called      1941 Plymouth P12 Restoration (#03)  

He does not give the mixture that was used.  Will try to find it an post it later.

That's where I saw this cleaning method!  Thanks feshemek!

Is the guy who did these videos, which are awesome reference/informational vids, a member here?  I did a search for the name he uses on youtube but no joy under the member page.

That's where I saw this cleaning method!  Thanks feshemek!

Is the guy who did these videos, which are awesome reference/informational vids, a member here?  I did a search for the name he uses on youtube but no joy under the member page.

May have been our P-12 Tommy per your reference in post #6. He has not posted in quite some time. Moved from FL. to Ohio a while back, and I believe he posted that he no longer has the car.

Well, we can put this one to rest.

I emailed the gentleman that created those '41 Plymouth restoration videos and asked him if he remembered the mix ratio for the Marine Clean and water.  Here's his reply:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I did not have an exact formula for the Marine Clean. I would suggest starting with 3 parts water and one

part Marine Clean. You can dilute or concentrate the Marine Clean after you see if you are getting the results

you want.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I will be getting a gallon of Marine Clean sometime this week.  My wife, who is awesome, gave me one of her slow cookers.  It is one of the big ones which she doesn't like to

use because "it's too big", but will be perfect for cleaning parts.

I'll keep everyone posted on who it goes and will post before/after shots of some parts being cleaned.