To fill of not to fill?

FESTER60

The one on my 40 plymouth was pretty rusty but for me it was worth the effort to fix it and retain the option of cool air. I left the cowl vent in my 51 chevy pick up and I love it. For me though leaks are not really a big problem because my cars may catch the odd shower but are not driven the same as they would have been when new. 

Yes that is exactly what I was looking for. If it was prone to leaks even with a new gasket. Also if it really made a difference on a hot day. I will not have AC in the car. It seems most have left them in and glad they did. I think I will keep mine given the input here. I was kind of leaning that way anyhow. As far as heat in the cabin I plan to use Hushmat or a similar product on the firewall,floor,roof, and doors. Thanks for all the replies. Now back to the grind. Fill, sand, repeat...............

Have you noticed the drainage hole to the front in the recessed part  (below the gasked) that ends in a small tube thing? It should be extended with a piece of hose going through the firewall. Water will never get into the car even if the gasket is less that perfect.

At least this is how it works on a '38.

Best,

Tom

• Like 1

On my truck I use a 53 Caddy aircleaner, its mounted in reverse......when I open my vent it feeds air into into the aircleaner via air ducts.

Ram air so to speak.  

If leaks is all you're worried about....make an inner shroud, or "plug", if you will....and keep the vintage look. 

48D

When I repaired my radio, I aded a plastic flap, to  shield the workings from water from the vent.  The interior of the radio case had shown rust from past intrusions.

You know that sooner or later the radio will get wet.  Now why didn't Chrysler shield the radio case?