Loaning of Factory Miller Tools

desoto1939

To All:

As many of the members already know I have several of the factory Miller Tools used to install the bushings, Instaling the Pin in the Pin and Trunion U joints, The Ammco Brake Gage and other assortment of tools.

So why is it when a member is asking for assistance or is in need of the tools you go on the forum and post that you need help and are lookijng for the tools. I get the opinion that some members just think that if you have the tools you should just lend them oput to them with out any deposit on the tools.

Since most of these tools were made over 50+ years ago they are not readily found even at major swap meets like Hershey. You willfind, FURD and Chevy tools in lots of the vendors, but not he Miller Tools.

When you have to find them, or bid on them on Ebay and then pay the postage to get them it adds up. Yes I buy these tools for my own persoanl use but offer them to the club members to use to keep their cars and trucks running.

I only ask for a deposit to insure that I get my tools returned. I do not even charge for the use of the tools. I just use your funds to ship the tool to your home and insured for the value of the deposit.And when you return the tools you get all your funds back except for the shipping charge.

So why when I sak for a deposit alot of the members have a hard time with this? Would you just loan me your car or use your home without knowing me or have never met me.

remember that I am sending the tools to someone that I have never met or seen, but only via forum discussions.

I am the one taking the gamble becasue you could decide to keep a tool and then sellit at a local swap meet. When this happens the entire club loses out and the tool is gone and then guess what none of the other tools would ever get loaned out.

I hope the members can see my point of view. Its not like I am lending you a screw driver that I can get at the local Sears store and replace it if not returned.

I know money is tight for some people but if you want to play sometimes there are some cash that has to be put down so you can play.

I can say that most of the members that have borrowed my tools have not had any problems but there have been a few exceptions.

I have people state they are experiecne mechnaic and I guess they think I should loan them the tools without any deposit.

I look forward to other members responses to my posting.

Please feel free to post you input and suggestions on what you would do?

Rich HArtung

• Like 3

Perfectly reasonable request Rich to ask for a security deposit for loaned tools, as a favorite saying of mine goes "Too Bad Ignorance Isn`t Painful"

Paul

Considering the risks involved in loaning anything at all, not to mention tools that are not easily replaced, it is completely reasonable and should be expected to pay a deposit.  A lot of guys have had so many bad experiences that they won't loan out anything.

• Like 1

Rich;

I applaud your efforts to loan tools to assist others. And the deposit requirement is more than fair. However keep in mind that this is not a club. A club holds meetings and all members know each other. This is an open forum that anyone can join under assumed nicknames and untraceable e-mail addresses. There are more folks on this forum that use assumed names than there are folks who use there real name such as you and I do. So even with a deposit the loaning of tools is a very risky business.

I have loaned tools to forum members that I have known for a good while and have communicated with by means other than this forum. The rewards for loaning these tools have made it a very enjoyable experience on both ends and have sealed lifetime friendships. I once loaned a tool to a member of this forum. After he completed using the tool he told me that he wanted to purchase the tool. I told him that I really did not want to sell the tool but that I could use the money as I was at the time seeking gainful employment. One week later I was sitting in his office interviewing for what turned out to be a 4 year job. He hired me and I worked with him until I retired.

Hope I did not go too far off topic. Were I in need of one of your tools I would gladly pay the deposit and return the tool in a timely manor. You are doing a very good service and I hope all who use your service show appreciation by passing the good will on.

• Like 3

Rich, I think it's great that you let people use your tools. I wouldn't think of borrowing them without giving you a deposit. In fact I wouldn't mind paying a little more just for your time and trouble.

Wayne

• Like 1

I think you are very generous to loan out tool that are antique & hard to replace, especially to people that you have never met. Anybody that has a problem with a deposit doesn't deserve the loan of your tools. I loan tools to people all the time but they are friends or acquaintances & I usually know where they live. They know that if they break it, they bought it. In your case it may be irreplaceable.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with asking for a deposit when loaning hard-to-find tools to someone who needs it for their car.  Pep Boys and Auto Zone take a deposit before loaning out everyday and easily-replaced tools and nobody blinks.  If someone doesn't want to leave a deposit, they shouldn't expect to borrow the tool.

• Like 1

rich,im sorry if this post had something to do with my request to borrow the c/arm pivot shaft tools.i would most certainly pay for shipping both ways and any other fees.I hve done hundreds of jobs where manuals call for special tools,but ive found that most often with common sense and a good mechanical aptitude these issues can be overcome.case in point is the brake gauge.im sure flat rate dealer techs and aftermarket shops did soung brake jobs on the hundreds of thousands of mopars and others with the Lockheed brakes.i just have my concerns about this operation.i have some coin into 2 nos lower control arms plus nos mopar upper and lower pivot bar kits.please contact me.eugene Maxwell 401-821-0986

I too have many many many of these 1940-54 miller service tools.

I do not loan them out.  I have learned it doesn't work out.

I think its the same as the guy who calls me up saying he has looked for this rare part for his car he has never been able to find.

I tell him I have a NOS one. The price is very agreeable. He says he'll call back...............

I'm still waiting!

Same with these certain rare miller tools. I have hundreds of them for every MoPar service job too.

People will say they need a Miller SST and like Rich says he has it and thats the end..... they never follow through???!!!! :confused:

Oh lordy lordy.. just stupid when someone goes way beyond the call of duty and gets dumped.

Bob

post-302-0-44451500-1406483181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

If I had those tools, I don't think that I would loan them without some previous knowledge of the party wanting to use them.  It's just taking too big a chance .  If  Rich is willing to take that chance, he is a much more trusting man than I am.  The very least a borrower could do is show some respect for his trust and offer to insure the tool's return.  

Sorry to say but many newcomers do not have a clue to the rarity of many of these tools. And select parts!  The cost when found (if found) can be way out there!

Riche's willingness to share these rare tools is totally lost on the new to the forum. Their loss! They do not understand and I'm not one to try to judge them, they just need to listen to an explanation of the reason behind the deposit as I doubt that Rich could Easily replace and of these tools!  If they do not understand,  tough !!!   BYE!

Please Rich do not stop your generosity because of them! Thank you for you loaning your tools at Your Requirements.

Thanks for doing this even if I have not personally Borrowed and of your tools!

DJ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well people should look at it this way. You cant borrow a tool at autozone or orielly with out a deposit so what would be any different here.  Personally I feel a deposit is a small investment to be able to borrow some of these specialty tools.  I work for a chrysler dealer and know how much miller tools cost. There even worse now that Snap-on took over miller spx. Funny how many people always want things for free.

• Like 1

they should be happy  to have you offer to lend such a tool,,,,,guys like you dont grow on trees any more,,,tip my  hat to you rich,,,

was thinking ide of seen you today at the east wood street rodder event,,,,,

Rich, just let me say thanks for letting me borrow the miller brake gauge, and especially for all the help you provided.  Personally, I don't think you charge enough.  The cost of the loan should be the replacement cost.  Looking at prices on the bay, you should charge more.  That way if something happens, its quickly replaced.  Just like at your local parts store, why should it be any different for you?  The shipping costs are just the price for doing the loan over long distance. 

Please keep it up. 

• Like 2