What Have I Done?

Enjoy reading your posts on your vehicle.  It acutally looks pretty good to me 

I am just starting on mine as well having just purchased it a few weeks ago.  Cab floor in front of seat is getting replaced as soon as I find a local shop to weld in the new floor plates I got at Dodge Centeral of Michigan. 

post-7088-0-86536800-1406642377_thumb.jpg

Nice metal Phil. I'm still lining up my project.

I've sourced a great pair of doors and a bench seat.

Bought original repair manual and parts manual. I just had to have original ones.

Got engine to turn over.

Removed distributor for restoring.

Looking for a miracle rust free cab within reasonable distance from Seattle!!!

Keep us up to date on your work Phil.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I saw one of them south of Lubbock years ago...it was a high side bed that was customized for short sides, with the chopped tailgate, on a B-1-D-126.  It had an electric fence around it to keep the goats out, looked to be an old highway department truck.  Never could find the owners, then one day it was gone...goats too.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice metal Phil. I'm still lining up my project.

I've sourced a great pair of doors and a bench seat.

Bought original repair manual and parts manual. I just had to have original ones.

Got engine to turn over.

Removed distributor for restoring.

Looking for a miracle rust free cab within reasonable distance from Seattle!!!

Keep us up to date on your work Phil.

Paul

Hey Paul, did you p/u the cab Wednesday? Photo's? :)

I picked up the cab and I'm generally happy with it. Not quite as good as I thought, but workable. Will still need work where floor meets back wall but rest is good, and uncut dash. Will post photos Tuesday

Also got good fenders and front grill.

I got some good parts to sell also, like a nearly perfect tailgate and bed sides from B1B which will not fit my B2C.

More info on Tuesday as family weekend coming up.

Paul

Update as promised, but no photos taken yet.

The cab is in my driveway, now under a tarp.  It is satisfactory, so the old one will come off sometime and this one will go to someone with more ambition than I have. 

I did well on some other parts.  I picked up the stainless steel front grill bars.  Got all the pieces, but each one has small dents and stratches and I hope to restore them.

I got basically a whole truck body apart and in pieces.  The bed is correct for a 1/2 ton and I have 3/4 ton (longer bed). :(   The bed I brought home is in amazing condition.  Very straight all around.  It will be available.  I have removed the fenders from it for my use and the rear fenders from my truck will be available.

Same will go with all the other body panels and doors.  I will scrounge the best front fenders and hood pieces for myself, and sell the rest. The ones on my truck are good, so not sure which I will keep, but the others will eventually go.

I got a good bench seat I will use.  It is the delux one with the air option.  Got some sunvisors and a good rear view mirror too.

Got an extra hood ornament and a few extra dash knobs, etc.

All of the truck parts will be stored for the winter so I can finish another project before moving on to this one.  

nice find Paul! you have got to grab them while they are for the grabbing (that is what i keep telling my wife :D )  looking forward to the progress (sounds like next spring)

hey i took Todds statement as an FYI not necessarily saying you were out of line. none the less i am always interested in seeing what you picked up.... you can always PM me to share :)

Mark-

Thanks for the private messages.  They were helpful. 

Here are some additional pictures and some questions for the group.

I was able to get some fantastic running boards.  Nearly perfect.  But, they are too short for my 3/4 ton. I have been thinking about going to a welder and asking for a section to be taken from my longer running boards (a good section where there is no rust) and adding length to the 1/2 ton boards. Photo attached of how nice they are.  Possible?  Practical?  Maybe place the seam directly over a bracket?

Showing a photo of the drivers side mirror that came on the pair of doors I bought.  Is this original?  It is folded in in this photo.

Lastly, showing a photo of the front and rear bumpers I bought.  They are very very straight.  They seem to be a good match.  My front bumper matches this, but my rear bumper that exists on my truck is home made.  Can anyone tell from this poor photo if the rear bumper is original?  If not, I will try to take a better photo.

Thanks,

Paul

post-7134-0-19847200-1409768163_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-23147500-1409768183_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-53740100-1409768201_thumb.jpg

running boards:  can it be done, yes.  Should it be done?  Up to you.  Welding sheet steel in a straight line is hard and warping could be an issue.  Might be easier to trade for or buy a good set of boards for a 3/4 ton.

mirror:  looks to be an original off a B1/B2, just needs some TLC

rear bumper: looks to be like several I've taken off of panel trucks so I'd say as close to original as you are gonna get.

PS I talked to Tod and softened his post for a more "educational" slant so if any replies want to get modified or hid let me know and we'll clean this up.

rear bumper looks pretty close to an original except for what appears to be a plate welded on in the center. Plate reminds me of an old plow share with it being tapered a bit at one end. As far as sectioning the running boards, it can be done but I'd suggest making the cut somewhere besides the brackets. Those are open ended and collect dirt and moisture and may tend to be thinner from corrosion making them exceptionally hard to weld. The brackets are not all in a straight line either, supporting more than one rib so you would need to fab brackets as well.

Heck I HAVE extra running borads...

Careful!!! Tod might think you're trying to sell them to Paul.

Posted by TodFitch here:

http://p15-d24.com/topic/33411-wanted-and-for-sale-ads/

" This moderator's interpretation of GTK's mandate:

1. Threads for the sole purpose of requesting and advertising parts should be directly listed in the classified section.

2. When an active normal thread twists to a part being offered, or at any hint of a parts transaction..that should be done off the forum and handled by private e-mail or a PM..."    :rolleyes:

And nobody cares about threads going off topic. LOL :huh: