What Have I Done?

Well the the 1949 B1B is now home.  What a story...........

The truck was in a field at a gravel pit, on an island here in Washington State.  Little Guemes Island, that requires a short ferry boat ride to cross Puget Sound.

Upon arrival with my trailer and son and son-in-law, we find the truck, but it's not a B1B.  Nope, it's a 1950 B2C.  First surprise is ok.

Truck is all there, all drive train, and body, and of course, the rust is worse than I hoped.

The cab of the truck was home for 9 wasp nests, and several generations of mice.

Photos attached.

I almost walked away, but considering I had owned a 51 B2B before, I was able to see what it could become.  It will be a lot of work.  

Island is very small, maybe population of 500, and people at the ferry said they had seen the truck run a few years ago.  Looking at the wiring and horrible condition of the inside, I can't amagine it having been on the road.

Tires held air until I got it home, now all flat.

The truck needs everything, and I do mean everything.

I removed 2 trash barrels full of crap from the bed and cab.  Also threw out the seat.  It was not an original, but something with an armrest in the middle, and mice junk as an extra bonus. It is already at the local dump.  Sheet of plywood in the bed came out by using my hands only.  Good news is that the bed is quite amazingly straight and strong.  No floor now, but wasn't expecting there to be good wood back there.

I must be sick to be tackling this project.

-Paul

post-7134-0-00457400-1405350640_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-15207100-1405350654_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-34366400-1405350667_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-95431500-1405350765_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-41305700-1405350781_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-62763100-1405350796_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I like it! i am sure your "sickness" will go away after you scrub it up a little... ;)

remember it's only money :D

It was really very gross inside.  I actually wore a mask while cleaning it out so that the leftover mice issues would not be inhaled.

Adding a couple of rust shots that led me to almost walk away.  I am a very hands on guy, will do all mechanical and electrical myself, but, I do not weld.  I have to pay for that, and I was seeing $$ fly out of my wallet.  

I can see I will be upside down in the truck, but not buying this to sell it.  Buying to keep until I don't drive anymore.

It may take that long to finish!

post-7134-0-05610400-1405353111_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-38013100-1405353135_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-63747900-1405353164_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-59103200-1405353189_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-62818600-1405353302_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That first picture is just a simple metal skirt that attaches to the cab with a few screws. It can likely be reproduced rather easily. The back of the cab shouldn't be too bad for an experienced body guy. He should be able to add a new skin to the lower portion of the back wall, and maybe repair the back edge of the floor. It looks like there's some rot along the bottom of the doors too. Mine were very bad along the bottom and I'm not handy with metal fabrication, so I sourced replacement doors.

New wire harness can be made fairly easily, but if you want it to be "like original" than you may want to check out Rhode Island Wiring. I've seen their harnesses and they look very nice.

Let the fun commence... :D

Merle

Thanks Merle-

You mean wiring like in the attached photo is not stock?  :D Just kidding of course.  Actually, there are stray wires strung everywhere.  What few stock wires are left are frayed and would short out. Thanks to the link for a harness.

This truck has a row of knobs for the heater located below the dash.  I don't remember my previous truck having those, but it's been 43 years since I sold that one.

Yes, the doors have rust along the bottom.  Passenger side is all the way through.  Drivers side is bubbles at the bottom.  I've had other cars where we cut off the lower 3 in. of the skin and put on new metal.  Not sure right now if that would remove everything on these doors or not.

Going to need some cab floor work too.

As shown behind the seat was bad at the rear wall.  However when I removed the seat, the floor area under it was pretty good.

Of course, I'm going to be needing something other than a 5 gallon bucket to sit on!!!!

post-7134-0-55691200-1405355981_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-40028500-1405356013_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-66144900-1405356197_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-44176800-1405356214_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul Hatfield
  • Like 1

I like your truck and think it has a lot of potential. It's definitely not that bad at all judging from the pics you have posted. Im pretty handy with a welder and a sheet of steel and by the looks of the replacements parts you need made a local person to you with some skill should be able to fix. The rear cab rot that you showed is exactly the same place my cab needs work too, i'll post up how i shape that piece when the time comes. Heck maybe there's someone on here willing to help you out for some lunch and a few beers. Good luck.

-Chris

I think it's perfectly salvageable, just takes time and patience!  You will be soooo proud after you have him done!    If you are looking for parts let Ed or I know, I know there are several of those panels behind the doors in the yards around MN.  Dave did a great job on my doors so maybe ask him for some pointers....just go thru my FEF montage build thread and you'll see.

I had 20 years of rat and mouse poop to clean up as well...I understand your pain!

Edited by ggdad1951

Hi Paul;

I agree with the others....not too bad at all. Best piece of advice I can give you is that since it is a 3/4 ton you should concentrate on learning about the different parts that are related to this model. For example....the wheels and lug pattern and even the lugs themselves are specific to 3/4 ton trucks. Doesn't sound like that big a deal.....until you start searching for original replacement parts. Some items can be a bit of a chore to find. So you need to know exactly what you need and jump on it when it is available.

Hth.

Jeff

Thanks for the encouragement!

It was pretty darn gross, but after removing the trash, the seat, and the rotten plywood, the bones of the truck were there.

I gave it a quick bath, to get rid of the first layer of green slime moss that shows so well in some of the photos.

The wasps had been transported home on the trailer as well, so it was a bit of a fight until I had all of those nests sprayed.

Attached is a photo of my engine number.  I looked it up on this site, and it appears to be a 230 but probably not original to the truck?????  If not, does not matter to me.  

I agree, I must learn about the 3/4 ton stuff.  

Glad I will have some support from this group.

Side note:  That big spotlight says Mopar on the chrome.  Kind of a fun item.

Paul

post-7134-0-82180700-1405366888_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-42292400-1405366950_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-03917000-1405367009_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, I'm not going to say it will be easy, but it is in better shape by far than what I started with. missing the floors, firewall, engine trans ect.  Also had the same part of the rear of cab rusted and gone You have alot to work with. And a your starting off as a member of this site from the start so that's a big plus. Persistence and keeping positive will help.

I've started off with much worse, in fact your truck looks to be quite solid.   Patience and realistic expectations will go a long way to getting this to the point that you're very happy with it.  Best of luck.   Mike

Paul;

I am sure we will help you all we can. There are already several threads here that talk about some of the specifics on the 3'4 ton trucks you should read through those. Main items that are specific include wheels, drums, running boards, some suspension components and of course the bed sides.

Fwiw.......I think this model makes for the best combination of ride characteristics. Especially if you are going to stay relatively stock. The length of the wheelbase helps reduce rear wheel hop and it tracks very nicely. The stock spring packs are nice and supple when cleaned up and lubricated. Fit some decent gas charged shocks and perhaps a bit of weight in the rear and you are good to go.

Have fun with it.

Jeff

Some days I wish I had just bought someone else's completed or semi competed project, but in all honesty that's what I got with my Monaco, and I find something almost every time I look where the last guy did things I never would. My 50 was pretty ugly when I got it home, but its looking a lot better today...ok well not today,..I tore it all apart again this spring for body work and to put the bed ack on..but you have a workable project, and don't be scared if another cheap truck comes along to pick it up and give yourself another option and spare parts.. I picked up a 51 2 weeks later and it save my butt a few times

post-3231-0-12808700-1405393902_thumb.jpg

I can't believe you are attempting this. It's quite possible you may need a medical re-evaluation...... 

I mean, the patience and skills needed to finish a project like that would take a whole crew of experts and enthusist. Not to mention needing guys who have the extra parts laying on a forgotten shelf or under a tree. I just don't see how a guy could manage a project like that without getting frustrated and needing friends who have had the same problem, you know, to offer the support and encouragement on something of this magnitude.

Geez, and when you finally finish it....where you gonna take it?

Who is gonna know or appreciate anything like that kind of truck you're building? You really need to find a bunch of guys who have been there, to make it fun and maybe a bit easier.....really.....

Oh wait....you already found us. ^_^

48D  

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 2

Fixing up an old vehicle is like eating an elephant, you do it one piece at a time. Welcome to the club. Rebuilding it the first time is and adventure, the second time is not so much so. Best wishes and good wrenching.

Oh man, I am not sure I would (could) attempt this all by my lonesome self.  This group will get used to my name.

Funny how memory distorts images.  One of the things that surprised me was that once the truck was put up on the flatbed, it dwarfed my F150.

Picture below is of the truck waiting in line at the ferry to cross back to the mainland.

The last registration on the truck was 1996, so 18 years ago.  Long time to sit outdoors in rainy Washington.  I'll likely discover more rust than I have already found.  Still, I am happy to undertake the task and rescue this one from a sure and slow demise.

Thanks for all the great comments and encouragement!!  That is typed with all sincerity.

Paul

post-7134-0-91588000-1405434765_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Great looking start of a project, Good Luck with it and Have Fun !

I think you'll find that a lot of us are envious of you for finding a truck like that.

Good Luck and Happy Motoring!