body mounts

casper50

I'm getting the frame almost done and have started looking at the body mounts just to make sure I understand where/how everything goes together.   I've found this kit on ebay, (I know you can get it cheaper but it has a photo).  When I removed the body from the frame there wasn't much left of most of the mounts.  Neither the parts book or the shop manual has a photo that I can find that shows which piece of rubber went where and how.  My 47 has 6 mounts on the driver's side and 7 on the pass.  Anyone have or know of a photo or diagram showing where/how these go?  Thanks

post-6321-0-01795000-1405091288_thumb.jpg

I bagged each of mine on removal individually per position on the car..and I also highlighted these area in the book I have here at the house..I also had 5 mount rubbers on my chassis not identified in the book...I have no idea if prior to my ownership if body had ever been removed before.  Are these stock, upgrade kit or special order..the car did come with the factory seat cushion upgrades....was the other cushion part of a smoother ride?  Most of these cushions are specific shape and of length and diameter for certain positions on the frame.  I check my photo log and I see no close up pictures to share with you.  

Figure 45 of the repair manual, body section, shows proper torque procedure and paragraph 23 spells out the torque value and the need to maintain this evenly at all points

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Thanks PA.  I have the shop manual and the parts book.  looks as if I need to get the repair manual also.  I've been looking at the online Chiltons.  Has anyone used them for their manuals?

Chiltons or other independent brand manuals are not in-depth enough per my experince...the standard shop manual should be the better book...I do keep a 1955 Motors manual nearby and have referenced it many time in giving data, specs and tips back to the board when questions come up...there was a private book titled if I recall "How to repair you Plymouth"  I saw this once and was for sale for 5.00 at a swap meet...I chose not to get it as thumbing through the book appeared it was a compilation of the factory and general shop manuals of the era.

Sorry guy..my quoted reference above is from the Plymouth book as it stays on the computer desktop...I keep forgetting about the Dodge book...though covering same year car built in the same manner it seems the Plymouth book has a great deal more information.  But at the same time the Dodge book has a greater depth of covering how-to on body metal repair etc.  In my opinion the values of the rubber cushions will be the same across the Briggs body line up within production models per same years...so to try to help with this, all bodies except convertible get body bolts torqued to 15 ft lb and the convertible is torqued to a value of 20..the book cautions that over torqueing these mounts will alterbody alignments and such..also that repeated jacking operations will also cause this cushions to distort and allow shift...a value shifted on one side must be worked by jacking the other to a lesser degree in order to balance the slight shift..

My biggest problem is figuring out which of the pieces in the photo go where.  Almost all of mine were missing or so rotted that I don't know what they looked like.  I have the 3 on each side that use the two pieces figured out but not the others.

you mentioned your parts manual not showing these for your car.  In my D24 Dodge Parts List, on page 213 of the factory book, plate 23-24 there is a exploded view of all the mounts in order front to rear.  While I do not have a scanner on this computer...here is a photo of the page..

post-19-0-95386100-1405275261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 2 years later...

If you had the mounts on already, then why the new post calling for photos of this yesterday....?  That was very confusing and the very reason the old post was called forward as it was linked to show you asked and had received help on this subject much earlier....

casper50:

Posted Yesterday, 05:02 PM

l tried to go by that manual photo.  Didn't give a lot of help at all.  I was asking for photos from someone's car that already had them replaced so that I could get a clue.  lol

first post was back in 2014...second post of subject by you was back in April of this year...while this page was a bit more current and may have been resurrected, you very last reply still implied that you did not receive and was still trying to score photographs...this is where I have to agree with Don C. that keeping all threads on the same page is beneficial to all..

I posted the link to the earlier page as a HELP to you in case this was still giving you a problem and you may have lost the information previously sent....and if resurrected by another person...then hopefully my repost of that link will benefit them...

I did not read in either thread an entry by you stating said job was completed..I know you do not have to report to the forum on your every move...but when questions are asked and help is sent, job is finished, it is always good to close out a thread....

Zen Master, I breathe vintage mopar!

Members
1,307 posts
LocationSterling, Alaska

Posted Yesterday, 05:02 PM

l tried to go by that manual photo.  Didn't give a lot of help at all.  I was asking for photos from someone's car that already had them replaced so that I could get a clue.  lol