1941 Plymouth Business Coupe Early Custom Build

BloodyKnuckles

Great to meet you Moose finally after all these years!

Well, with the help of my club brothers Jerm and Skeeter, we ended up painting the Plymouth 2 days before we left. The drive was smooth and issue free. Here is a few pics.

IMG_20140925_183856_zps4f9c3ac5.jpg

IMG_20140927_150653_zpsb32dc0a7.jpg

IMG_20140927_182944_zps3114b049.jpg

IMG_20140929_182619_555_zps71b80af4.jpg

IMG_20140928_181322_zps61182806.jpg

BloodyKnuckles

• Like 3

Is it easier to steer with the elevated front end?

I think it is to make it easier to see the traffic signals once the top is chopped enough that you can't otherwise see up. It also makes all the roads seem like they are going up hill.

if you always driving up hill what will that do for your gas mileage.....inquiring minds want to know...( I joke of course) 

I always thought it was a lot easier just to shim the front mounting bolts of the seat to get the reclined position you want when driving these old cars...what do I know eh?

Make the front end lower than the rear, and save gas.

My Uncle Arthur lived a simple life.  Never married, lived at home, taking care of my maternal grandmother, and running the machine shop that my grandfather had before my grandmother was widowed.  On the other hand, my father was an electrical engineer.  

Uncle Arthur reasoned that if you had a flywheel big enough, and got it spinning fast enough, it would spin forever - perpetual motion.  Similarly, if you had a wagon with the rear wheels larger than the front wheels, it would roll downhhill forever. 

My father did his best to set Uncle Arthur straight, with the laws of physics, and all that other college learning, but to no avail.  

I now realize that my uncle was pulling my father's leg; he really had him going. 

Edited by DonaldSmith

The front suspension is stock height. The rear has been lowered plus was loaded down with spare parts for the long trip.

In the era that I'm shooting for, custom cars that were built were lowered in the rear and not the front. Most people don't follow early customs but I prefer the simplicity of that time. This car had a "hot rod" rake that I didn't care for at all. I'm a custom guy through and through. Level or lower in the rear for me.

BloodyKnuckles

Lookin good.....saw pic(s) of it on Kustomrama's Instagram a week or so ago. Did you decide not to remove the ribs on the fenders? I'm with you....into kustoms & should be level or lower in the rear for the correct look of the period. Any reason you're running the WWW inside out? MY personal preference would be to run WWW, but don't get me wrong, still looks great.

The front suspension is stock height. The rear has been lowered plus was loaded down with spare parts for the long trip.

In the era that I'm shooting for, custom cars that were built were lowered in the rear and not the front. Most people don't follow early customs but I prefer the simplicity of that time. This car had a "hot rod" rake that I didn't care for at all. I'm a custom guy through and through. Level or lower in the rear for me.

BloodyKnuckles

I agree, noone follows the 50s customs. I really get tired with my 51 Cambridge, having people ask wheres the v8 and the show car paint job. They dont understand . Back then you did some engine mods, lowered the rear and shined it up the best you could. The difference with mine is the builder used a built slant 6 to replace the flat head with a hole in the side. And the previous owner removed lowering blocks. Pics in my signature.

Ron,

Congratulations.    I can't believe you finished your car in time, it was a hulk in September.   I've got to see it in the flesh.

Jim Magennis

Thanks Jim. We worked our butts off.

I agree, noone follows the 50s customs. I really get tired with my 51 Cambridge, having people ask wheres the v8 and the show car paint job. They dont understand . Back then you did some engine mods, lowered the rear and shined it up the best you could. The difference with mine is the builder used a built slant 6 to replace the flat head with a hole in the side. And the previous owner removed lowering blocks. Pics in my signature.

I can totally relate. I built a custom '51 Plymouth and drove the wheels off of it with the flathead 6, 6v and stock drivetrain and suspension. I put over 36,000 miles on it and heard the same thing as you.

BloodyKnuckles

[quote name="BloodyKnuckles" post="384667" I built a custom '51 Plymouth and drove the wheels off of it with the flathead 6, 6v and stock drivetrain and suspension. I put over 36,000 miles on it and heard the same thing as you.

BloodyKnuckles Like to see pics of it.