Bring My 48 Dodge D24 to Life Again

linus6948

Hey thanks for the detail shots of the switch mechanism...I figured it was something similar, and thanks for confirming it with the nice close-ups!  I like the technique for cleaning up the chrome as well....too many folks rush out to re-plate or replace everything with reproduction stuff(usually not a good as the originals), while a cleaned up original with a little age and patina always looks better to me...nice job!

Edited by st63
  • Like 1

Amen to that, I`m now on my way to mail my Carter D6P2 carb`s dashpot #64-74S out for a rebuild. Apparently no one has a replacement so a rebuild is the only way I can go. You can get Carter dashpot #64-77S new from a lot of places, but unfortunately it won`t work with my carb. So off to Daytona Parts in Fla it goes, the shipping each way costs a dollar more than the rebuild costs.

post-4221-0-64913700-1405093222_thumb.jpg

Paul

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 1

Good to know...I hadn't heard of Daytona Parts before, but wish I had.  Had a previous carb (Holley 1904) restored by a company in NJ and it came back worse than before it went in!   Daytona seems to have a good rep.

Mike from Mike`s Carburetors in Washington state made the arrangements for me, apparently when he has a "problem-child" like my dashpot he goes to them. I think Mike is a little cheaper for doing a carb rebuild than Daytona Parts charges.

• Like 1

Took her out for an airing, in case anyone was wondering this car will run with the carburetor dashpot removed, positively. I took a few pictures of how she is starting to clean up, I also found a brand new unopened box of chrome door edge protector from the 70`s among my accumulated junk and added it to the D24`s doors and hood, probably gonna loose a few more points but I like chrome.

post-4221-0-93392500-1405111848_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-82319800-1405111884_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-69644400-1405112144_thumb.jpg

Paul

• Like 1

I finally got around to changing out the 90weight in the rear end and the gear box, it was from the look and smell of it not a minute too soon and my well used original dealer service/shop manual came in today`s mail. I found it on Ebay from a comic book store in Minnesota for $30, what a great asset it is to me to finally have one of these in my hands. I`d been making due with some early 50`s Motors manuals.

post-4221-0-75460200-1405259493_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-74396500-1405212356_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-83072800-1405212381_thumb.jpg

Paul

Edited by linus6948

Well apparently my master cylinder rebuild job wasn`t "up to snuff" because it gave me nothing but grief, so I ordered a new Cardone master cylinder from RockAuto and I had it Fedex in 3 days. So I pulled out the floor pan again and decided since I wasn`t feeling lucky I`d also replace the last two remaining pieces of old brake line, the ones that went from the front diffuser to each front wheel. They definitely weren`t the original lines and didn`t look that bad but I figured I `d replace them anyway so all the lines would be new.

post-4221-0-46144300-1405647646_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-80066900-1405647670_thumb.jpg

Paul

It`s plastic and my initial "knee Jerk" reaction was disappointment, buts it is very functional and I actually prefer it now to the old type and certainly don`t miss the obligatory wrench. All in all the new Cardone master seems well made and the manufacturer pads and packs it like it was nitroglycerine in the box.

So I got my rebuilt dashpot back from Daytona Parts this morning and I put it back in the carb. I then took it out for a test drive and I did notice the difference with the new dashpot installed. I was completely enjoying the ride until she sputtered and died. I thought I had run out of gas, so I put in 10 gallons.It was to no avail and I wound up coming back the 2 miles I had traveled on my well used tow bar. Apparently I was bitten for a second time by a NOS AC fuel pump bought in 1980 one of a pair that I got with the car.

This very subject had come up in another thread and I can certainly concur at this point that it is bad practice to use an NOS fuel pump. The first one failed after 10mins of run time and this second one lasted about two weeks. So I placed another RockAuto order and a new one will come this week.

post-4221-0-96498100-1405817121_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-58606700-1405817241_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-64066400-1405817449_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-92923800-1405817466_thumb.jpg

I used one of their rebuild kits for the dual action fuel pump on my 49 Special Deluxe. I was very impressed with the quality of the kit and the car fired right up instantly after reinstallation. I think it was right around $70 shipped to my door near St. Louis, Missouri.

Well since it is the weekend and no one is shipping parts I looked around some more and found Advance Auto offered a better deal on this Airtex pump so I ordered one from them and cancelled RockAuto who was 10% more. Of course the car fired right up this morning like nothing was wrong, so I put it on the lift in the shop but I haven`t taken the tow bar off yet.

I don`t know if a mechanical fuel pump can become intermittent but right now it`s pumping fine and yesterday not a drop, so I don`t trust it and being a 40yr old NOS pump I know it won`t hold up to the ethanol gas it wasn`t designed to use so it comes out as soon as the new one gets here. All the good information and advice I have found here on this site has changed how I look at NOS parts forever.

post-4221-0-88734400-1405871493_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948

Yesterday along with the rebuilt dashpot the new brake springs also arrived, so I`m finally replacing the tired stretched out springs that have been in there for decades and doing a readjustment of the shoes.

post-4221-0-98776000-1405871226_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-93154300-1405871350_thumb.jpg

Make sure the pin the cam lever works on is properly staked in place a lot of the new ones from Mexico seem to be poorly done.  You might want to consider making a sheet metal clamp to make sure it cant walk out.  

Where in NE Pa are you Scranton WB area or further east???  I got a Studebaker Pickup from a fellow north of Honesdale Pa.

A couple of us just returned from Vermont for a weekend tour.  We are planning for next year and one of the areas may be the Upper Deleware River/Cakills ,Hudson Valley area.  Might do some scouting this fall.  I got a Studebaker Pickup from a fellow north of Honesdale Pa.

Regarding those brake parts, watch out for the Chinese made components too....even though they carry the Raybestos name, I've gone through a number of parts that were defective right out of the box! Had new rubber hoses for the front that had obvious burrs on the threads, and wouldn't have sealed properly.  I don't know how they even pass inspection (IF they're inspected at all) and make it into a shipment.    

Edited by st63

I`m outside of a small town named White Haven, it`s 20 miles south of WB and 20 miles north of Hazleton right along the Lehigh River.

Regarding those brake parts, watch out for the Chinese made components too....even though they carry the Raybestos name, I've gone through a number of parts that were defective right out of the box!  I don't know how they even pass inspection (IF they're inspected at all) and make it into a shipment.  

My brake shoes are NOS, the wheel cylinders are Tru-Torqe brand I got thru Advance Auto, the master cylinder is made by Cardone, so far nothing with the Raybestos name, but the wheel cylinders were definitely Chinese made. Another reason for pulling the drums today was to take a look at those wheel cylinders after being in a few weeks. So far they look and work fine.

I picked up the 6 volt Airtex fuel pump from Advance Auto today and mounted and plumbed it in using new fuel line. I have to say it is a nice unit and works well, it filled the empty fuel line up in seconds. Much easier than using air pressure to force the fuel up to the pump like I had to do last time my fuel line was dry.

post-4221-0-07858200-1406077183_thumb.jpg

The pump fit nicely just above and forward of the rear wheel, I was trying to keep it as close to the tank as possible, I definitely like this modification to the fuel system.

post-4221-0-46960900-1406136587_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Funny that you say that Jerry, I`m actually sitting here waiting for the UPS truck to bring the new Airtex mechanical pump I ordered again from advance auto but the mechanical pumps are not stocked in the stores like the electric was. The NOS AC pump that is in their now will become the trunk spare, it works great but I`m afraid of what I`ve heard about ethanol and NOS pumps. The new Airtex can supposedly stand up to today`s excuse for gasoline, I plan on carrying an extra everything that I an extra one of, generator ,starter, water pump, it will be a lot of ballast for the trunk.

• Like 1