Bring My 48 Dodge D24 to Life Again

linus6948

I finally got around to bring my D24 to life again, my entire fuel system had gone to hell and the brakes were all locked up,frozen and leaking.

I used my motorcycle lift to raise the tank into position

post-4221-0-62943200-1404656593_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-42907200-1404656702_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-78033800-1404656743_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948

Carb needed a rebuild and I had to replace the fuel pump and clear out all the fuel lines.

post-4221-0-39774500-1404657086_thumb.jpg

My Wife wasn`t thrilled about this, but I pointed out it was better than the Dining room table.

post-4221-0-03190200-1404697055_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948

Got it on the lift to start the brakes, this is the first time I got my antique car onto my antique 2 post lift. It is a 1970 Benwil originally from a Chevrolet Dealership, I got it after it sat in a field for years and was totally "roached" and on it`s way to be scrapped.

post-4221-0-69742100-1404657395_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-04492700-1404657476_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948

I had tried for 3 days to restore the original tank but it was hopeless, I stunk like gas varnish the entire time, went thru 3 gallons of lacquer thinners, then bought a new tank from Tanks Inc. but funny thing I found it cheaper on ebay than on their own website, I paid $264.99 for a new tank, sender and straps delivered. $30 cheaper than from the manufacturer, I had it in 3days drop shipped by Tanks Inc.I don`t know if I am allowed to post the ebay link so if anyone needs it message me.

Oh, Oh! Don Coatney is going to give you two demerits for fuzzy dice.  

Oh, well, to each his own; i guess that's what this forum is all about.   In matters of taste, there is no dispute.  Or is it:  In matters of dispute there is no taste.      

• Like 2

I`m sorry my apologies but I`am a "Child of American Graffiti" in fact that skull is the same one that hung in "Bob Falfa`s Black 55 Chevy" in the movie. Below is a shot from a long time ago with the 41 Chevy Coupe I had back then, same skull hung in that car.

post-4221-0-11737300-1404664082_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-09102700-1404696483_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-71309200-1404696356_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 2

Oh no! How did the old girl fall into such disrepair? Lumpy is a '48 D24, but it's the 2-door sedan. That's a nice looking coupe. Sometimes I wish Lumpy was a coupe, other times...not. !!! I see yours has the clock. Mine has the clock "blank".

ken.

Thanks Ken, I got the car in 87 used it for fun till 99, then it sat till 11 then I put ethanol fuel in it and it ran for 2 months and one hot August day liquid tar passed thru my whole fuel system. Disgusted I pushed it in the garage for another 3yrs and now I have the time and the inclination to do some things long overdue. It now runs better than it ever did and I`m on my way to actually having working brakes. The new tank is full of ethanol-free 93 octane gasoline, I drove 37 miles each way to get it at "Harry`s Gas" it was like the "speakeasy's" of gas stations, the place didn`t even have a sign.

Paul

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 1

That's quite a transition from blue flames to wide-whitewalls. !! Glad you are re-inspired, she deserves to get out and be seen. I know what you are talking about, I did an engine swap a long time ago in my '72 Dart, finally got it running perfect only to discover the trans was leaking out the front. So, parked her in the garage for a year or two, or three, then rolled around on the gravel-dirt floor of my garage, one winter, under the Dart, pulled the tranny, put in a new front seal, got her going again and....same leak! It wasn't the front seal, the converter actually had a hole in it. So in utter disgust I put her up on blocks for another five years. Then I put in a new converter spring before last, and she's been tearing up the roads ever since.

So...get 'er done! That's a nice car.

k.

• Like 1

american graffitti  guy  here my  self,,,nice looking 48,,glad u made the switch from that other brand,,,,lift  looks pretty good to me,,,so does your garage,,,,may  i ask  where in pa  ???  im  out side philly sorry to say on  the  nj  border,,,

• Like 2

Thanks, it took a bit of doing to get that lift back in service but I get quite a bit of use out of it, I`m in White Haven on the Lehigh River off interstate 80.

post-4221-0-07649000-1404731363_thumb.jpg

Great looking coupe....are those vintage aftermarket backup lights on it, or something you added later?   I'm looking to add some to my 41 coupe.... so I'd love to know how those are activated.....

• Like 1

It came with the optional single backup light, also has the heater and a few other of the factory options, here is the link to the options brochure that shows a good image of the backup light and the other available options of the time, I don`t know how the light is hooked up or if mine even works.

http://p15-d24.com/files/file/51-mopar-approved-accessories/

• Like 1

I`m in the middle of a brake overhaul and was amazed at the price for a pressurized brake bleeder so I made one out of what I had on hand, a garden sprayer and an airlock and 5 gallon jug cork both from the local wine/beer making store. It really comes in handy in speeding up the process of bleeding the brakes.

post-4221-0-94540400-1404744674_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-05476100-1404744695_thumb.jpg

white haven,,,theres a mopar suspension  shop up your way, im sure  uve seen  plenty  of muscle car era cars up that way,,,a mopar  club  cruise nite in  trexlertown,,isnt to far from u ???  im  2  hours  south,,, going to  chryslers at carlisle this weekend?

Edited by fstfish66

I believe trexlertown is about an hour south of me, I hardly ever see any antique or muscle cars in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately no Carlisle for me, two Graduation Parties to attend this weekend.

Rebuilt the master cylinder and replaced brake lines where needed. Now drilling and tapping the two cross-threaded bolts that snapped during the front floorboard removal. I will replace all the hardware with stainless steel, most of the original bolts are lousy and I don`t want to put them back in.

post-4221-0-98095000-1404832730_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-11048400-1404832778_thumb.jpg

Edited by linus6948

My original factory front floor covering was very dry and brittle and really got beat-up when I had to remove it to access floor panel to change the master cylinder. I put it back but it looks bad, and the (horse-hair ?) padding underneath it has for the most part has turned to dust. Does anyone know where I can get replacements/reproductions, mine are mostly black rubber with a camel colored carpet panel incorporated into each side and what can I use for the padding. Also the (felt ?) gasket strips under the metal floor pan are in need of replacement, any suggestions?

Paul

Edited by linus6948

felt you can get and cut to fit at any fabric supply store.  The horsehair just stuff can be replaces with carpet underlayment, I got some at no cost from a local auto upholstery place.  Trim and scraps, but plenty to do the drivers side of my Plymouth coupe (Just replaces the floor section around the gas pedal and MC access)  You can also stick down some furnace duct insulation wrap.  I had some left from doing the ducts in my garage.  I got some Grace brand self adhesive flashing membrane to hold it down.  over lap the insulation about an inch and a half. and stick it down.  I then glued the carpet stuff to the insulation to the back of what was left of my floor mat.  

As far as the rubber part, you can get ribbed floor matting from Home improvement place and fiddle with it.  

• Like 1

Great looking coupe....are those vintage aftermarket backup lights on it, or something you added later?   I'm looking to add some to my 41 coupe.... so I'd love to know how those are activated.....

They are activated by a switch added to the steering column that is pushed in by the reverse linkage

post-4221-0-97443300-1405040432_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-07779900-1405040486_thumb.jpg

Here is the optional backup light before I rubbed it down with wet balled-up aluminum foil to remove the green patina

post-4221-0-89289300-1405040631_thumb.jpg

Here it is after a 3 minute rubdown with the wet ball of foil

post-4221-0-94881100-1405040689_thumb.jpg

Paul

I gave the bumpers the same wadded up wet aluminum-foil "rub-down" and it worked wonders removing rust spots.the green patina and helped to feather-out the chrome where it was flaking. It takes very little labor to make this happen, from what I have read it is a chemical reaction that does most of the work and it does not scratch or dull the chrome like steel wool.

post-4221-0-46984400-1405078801_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-52539000-1405078835_thumb.jpg

post-4221-0-81539800-1405078869_thumb.jpg

Paul