Dolly Dodge Update

I had VPW rebuild my clutch. They did my clutch, water pump, and distributor. They are awesome to work with and very knowledgable

Ditto on VPW. I got all my engine rebuild parts from them. And plan on getting a new 10" clutch from them also.

• 3 weeks later...

I get really quick starts if I follow this procedure. Press on the gas once.....set the choke about a 1/2" to 3/4" out ...and the hand throttle about the same. Crank it over with the key on and be prepared to push the hand throttle in the moment it catches. I generally only need to leave the choke on for about a minute or so.

Hope this helps, Jeff

• Like 1

Watch out for that tree line!

Jeff's procedure is what I usually do too, although have to leave choke on longer to compensate for the dual intake.

DD, is the initial timing slightly advanced a little more than 0 deg to compensate for your mile-high location?

• Like 1

" . . . the mental picture I had in my head of 3 people in the front seat..." Teach the middle person how to shift, all farm girls knew how to do that back when.  They became expert on working thier boyfriends shifters!  LOL

• Like 1

I get really quick starts if I follow this procedure. Press on the gas once.....set the choke about a 1/2" to 3/4" out ...and the hand throttle about the same. Crank it over with the key on and be prepared to push the hand throttle in the moment it catches. I generally only need to leave the choke on for about a minute or so.

Hope this helps, Jeff

odd I've never really touched my throttle control, heck I should make sure it hasn't seized up!

• Like 1

Not sure why it didn't start for the video ( maybe camera shy) it usually fires right away. Cold starts on DD have been 3/4 choke, Nearly full throttle, and as soon as it fires push throttle and choke in to about 1/4. The other issue is I didn't have the gass pedal on yet :)

Edited by DollyDodge

Hi Dolly Dodge

From my Willys Jeep days...3 pumps on the gas pedal, pull the throttle out about 1/2 way....choke out about the same...turn the key on...hit the started on the floor...truck should fire...fiddle with the choke after a short warm up period...should run down the road with choke fully open (pushed in on dash)....

It is amazing how close the flat head Doge motor sounds to Willys I had a last year....sounds like a sewing machine for sure...

Congrats on getting it moving under it own power.....a major milestone for sure...

MikeC

• Like 1

Here is a video of DD on her first run.  She didn't start to well for some reason, but I got to take her for a spin.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiEzh2-78eU

Excellent. Big smile on your face.... :D

What where you adjusting under the dash??

BTW: like your front gates..steel wheels off an old cart?

Your handywork?

• Like 1