Dolly Dodge Update

I am doing the best I can with the situation. Those free with criticism don't know all the details. I feel bad enough as it is, but the engine is almost done, and that is all that matters to me at this point. I can't change the situation.

The water pump was rebuilt by VPW, its surface is flat as is the block.

I posted the photos of the fix because one member asked me too, I forget who it was.

I appreciate all the great help in this forum, and the support from the majority of the people

• Like 1

Only criticism I had was the engine builder's time frame, nothing against the quality, and you're right, I know nothing of the circumstances and details that required such a lengthy build time other than some parts that were difficult to source. I look forward to hearing it's installed and running. I'll have to be patient too.

Edited by Dave72dt

• 2 weeks later...

I went by the shop today and the engine is nearly ready to paint.  He will adjust the valves, take the headers off (they are just sitting on the engine in the picture), I will then paint it.  He will put the headers on, distributor, flywheel, distributor, and bell housing and then I will take it home. The plan is to put it back in the truck over my 2 week Christmas Holiday.  It looks really nice.  I hope I can get it all put back together, and rewired, and running.  All the internal engine stuff (oil filter, horns, generator, starter, etc) has been reparied (where needed) and repainted.  So the engine area will look like new.  I have all new wiring, and rebuilt gauges.  It will be 3 years to the date if I actually get it back in the truck over Christmas.  Keep your fingers crossed that it all works out.

post-2240-0-00714300-1415224661_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-65830800-1415224730_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-67636800-1415224760_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

My friends.  Dolly Dodge's engine is near completion.  Today I am painting it.  I got the first coat (POR15) on this morning and this afternoon will put the engine enamel coat on.  I can't believe the thing is almost done.  All that is left is installing the manifold, flywhell, and bell housing and then I take it home.  Been a long three years!  The engine really is pretty all painted up.  I have two weeks off around Christmas and that is when I plan to get the engine back in the truck and hopefully running with a minimal amout of problems (this is my first engine to remove and reinstall).  It is so very exciting to finally be at this point.

post-2240-0-32182900-1416337016_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-97878300-1416337042_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-00027600-1416337076_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Do You have your flywheel bolts, washers and nuts all ready to go?

The flywheel is ready to put back on. It looks gorgeous, all shinny and refinished. One of the problems we ran into when we took the engine apart was someone had arc welded the flywheel nuts to the flywheel, and nuts to the bolts. So the machine shop had great fun getting it off. He got new bolts, and got the flywheel in great shape. Also Attached are photos with the engine enamel coat on. It really is stunning.  The other fun thing that happened was he convinced me to get the distributor rebuilt, which was a good idea.  He opened the box the other day that came from the distributor rebuild shop and it had a jeep distributor in it, so he called them and they were glad to hear from him becasue they couldn't figure out who they had sent the jeep one to, mine was still in their shope and is now being rebuilt.  If it isn't one thing it is another!  But it doesn't matter the end is in sight!!!!!!!

post-2240-0-20883900-1416410234_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-18200400-1416410236_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-97097300-1416410237_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-36530800-1416410407_thumb.jpg

Edited by DollyDodge
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You might wish you had put on the starter before you put that engine in the frame. That is one of the toughest single tasks on the truck, IMHO. It looks fantastic. You gonna bring it to the 8th Annual BBQ?

You might wish you had put on the starter before you put that engine in the frame. That is one of the toughest single tasks on the truck, IMHO. It looks fantastic. You gonna bring it to the 8th Annual BBQ?

agreed, but one of the wrenches that are curved would make it easier.