Dolly Dodge Update

Hi all:  I did another video (made from my PowerPoint record of the work on Dolly).  This one goes through May 2015.  I set this one to music, there are some minor music glitches (music was fine in PP, but sometime things happen when converting to video).  It takes about a 1/2 hour to watch it through (only the devoted will make it to the end).  It is still processing on Youtube last time I looked, but within a short time it should be up and going.

http://youtu.be/hmCpeUnw8qg

• Like 2

I watched the video while I had lunch today. Very impressive work. The outside is the perfect color for the area.  Will have to meet up next summer when I Phoenix to Indiana. We'll be quite a sight at four corners! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well my friends, I have been absent for a while.  I have been waiting on my generator and starter I sent to VPW for rebuild.  I talked to them today, and they are done and will ship soon.  The generator had major issues, including one completely lose and stripped wire inside, and badly worn brushes, and some other stuff (I think he said polarity issues-he said it was correctly re polarized to 6 V positive ground).  The starter had (I think he said) stripped bendix gears (which they took out of another starter that had new parts).  It frustrates me that the local shop told me the generator was ok, I was certain it wasn't because it didn't do what it was suppose to even with the new voltage regulator. I will hold my breath that they both make it home safe and work well.  My experiences with VPW have been great, sometimes they aren't the cheapest, but the quality of work is outstanding.  I remember when they sent me the rebuilt clutch which arrived just before Christmas.  On the outside of the box they wrote "Merry Christmas Dolly Dodge" (I had sent them a few photos and told them that is what we call my old truck.  they seem like they truly care about the customer and their trucks.  If I were to do this over again there are quite a few things I would change.  One is I would have had the starter and generator rebuilt along with the engine from the beginning, but I was trying to save a few bucks.  Oh well, live and learn.  Should be soon and DD will be back on the road.

Yep. Until you have been through it all it is hard to imagine just how much time and effort goes into something like this. It's mind blowing really. It has been 3 1/2 years and I am finally ready to put mine on the road.......and when I started I figured less than half that. And have had to learn or re learn a fair amount of lessons along the way.. Hey it's almost done and that is a good feeling. Hang in there.... the finish line is in sight.

Jeff

• Like 1

Hey Jeff, it is a long process.  I have learned so much, and did some things way beyond what I thought I could.  I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  It has been humbling, frustrating, invigorating, and uplifting...among other things.  This forum has been the life blood for Dolly Dodge :)

Edited by DollyDodge
  • Like 1

Agreed    You are members of a small group of people who never quit on their project  ebay, craigslist, and newspapers are full of projects that never saw the road.   Pat yourself on the back  and enjoy your truck.....

• Like 1

Great video, thoroughly enjoyable and great to see the quality of work you do. You've earned the right to be very proud of what you've achieved! Fantastic that you know such a long history on the truck too. Regards from Oz, Martyn

• Like 1