Dolly Dodge Update

Machine shop started to put the engine together today and found the lifters from the old block don't fit the new block. If it isn't one thing it is another. He said it will be together by next week. The new block is a 1951 truck block (mine is a 50), so I don't know what is going on. Anyway progress is being made.

There was a bulletin on this over size lifter issue that I have read in the MoPar service sheets. Never seen it in person though.

They are not a heavy duty lifter-just a different size ..

• Like 2

Great News on the lifters &  moving in the right direction. Hearing it run is the BEST reward for all the troubles.

• 1 month later...

Well I for one can't wait for the "New Adventures of Dolly Dodge". I watched the old ones several times and they were a real inspiration for me during the whole process of bringing one of these trucks back to life. I know the delays probably drove you mad but hopefully you won't have to wait long now. :)

Jeff

Hey Dolly, just one step at a time. With winter coming, you should have it back running in time for a comfortable drive to Death Valley. No pun intended. Get mine running, should come join you. With my patina and yours, we'll change the world. Would be quite a sight to caravan down the freeway and let the folks with unimaginatively painted vehicles "eat their hearts out"!!

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

"top view" . . . expensive and so much work, but yes "i'm envious. I started my engine, first time since the fire, ran NICE, added the radiator and water pump is ok, water is circulating but have a small leak on one core, probably not difficult to fix.

• Like 1

Tthe work looks flawless and I really hope it runs as well as it looks. 

+ 1 on that!

Use engine paint from Eastwood and it'll look brand new.

I'm considerinjg re-painting my engine silver (or cast-iron) with their products. I used their radiator paint and was impressed.

Hank  :)

Drove the Phoenix yesterday, all the basics work. Now, Dolly, when we are both road ready, lets meet in Yosemite Park. Be 'sweet' to have two quite different Pilot-house trucks at the Lodge. Foreigners just go wacky when they see a survivor truck at a national park. I guess they think these vehicles are only driven to car shows.

Before the fire, I drove my truck everywhere, miss all the conversations, but will get it back on the road.

Good luck on your project.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Dolly,

I think I'd surface the face of the block where your water pump goes and the face of the water pump itself. A flat file, a 3m rubber sanding block and some wet/or/dry will go a long way to making a dead flat almost mirror like surface.

Can't wait to see Dolly back on the road,

Hank :)  

You have WAAAAY more patience than I have.  Almost, if not a month to the day, to drill two holes to size and tap one.  The time frame for what should be a  simple engine build is frustrating me and it's not even mine.