Dolly Dodge Update

Spanner wrench is really any leverage type tool that has contact points. They have different names like Variable, Adjustable or Shifting spanner (ie cresent wrench), Open end spanner (ie open end wrenches) Hook spanners, Pin spanners, U-shaped spanners........spanner is an english (british) term but is still used as the primary name for some tools in the U.S.

So chances are Davin was refering to a 1/2, 7/16 open end wrench like the ones you have in your back pocket Paul..... ^_^

48D

So chances are Davin was referring to a 1/2, 7/16 open end wrench like the ones you have in your back pocket Paul..... ^_^

48D

You got it Tim. There's another one for GK to add to his list of different words we use across the pond!

Thanks Tim, don't think I'll ever figgure al this stuff out what with cone-fingers, spanners, bonnets, and all. But as long as no one calls me a "bloody bloke" I think I'll stay.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple of photos of DD on the road again.  Nice spring day in Owens Valley.  She is running really nice. I got the headlight bucket, and cross over wiring in the clip. The boot that went into the back of the headlight mount was hard and brittle.  What did you all do for a boot?  I used what I could but it isn't very good. when the wires came from RI they said to use the existing boot, you don't get a new one.

post-2240-0-59115100-1427729385_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-55093100-1427729602_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-55994100-1427729610_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Here are a couple of photos of DD on the road again.  Nice spring day in Owens Valley.  She is running really nice. I got the headlight bucket, and cross over wiring in the clip. The boot that went into the back of the headlight mount was hard and brittle.  What did you all do for a boot?  I used what I could but it isn't very good. when the wires came from RI they said to use the existing boot, you don't get a new one.

I found something SIMILAR and made it work.  About all you can do as they will almost always be a chunk of brittle crud.

• Like 1

The latest...Dolly Dodge has her clip back on.  It mostly went with out a hitch, other than I put the upper rear mounts on upside down so I had to switch those :)  All new wiring is in place, except the parking lights, I need to solder them up and repaint the inside of the housing.  I so wanted to paint her, but for now I am happy with mechanically sound.  She looks so good, I was able to paint all the interior panels, and replace all the rubber that goes on the clip, so that was good.  Just a matter of funds for me at this time, but when someone opens the hood on Dolly, they will be surprise, old and rusty on the outside, spanking brand new on the inside!

post-2240-0-64442600-1428195168_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-93568800-1428195207_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-99288100-1428195483_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-63112800-1428195500_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-24428400-1428195671_thumb.jpg

post-2240-0-99407800-1428195677_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

All the wiring works...Yahoo, lights all great. I have a question though. How should the ammeter work, with the engine running and I turn on the lights it goes negative. When I increase RPM it stays negative and doesn't move. In all the years I drove the truck the ammmeter never worked so I am not sure how it should respond. The gideo is kind of poor, all the lights are fery bright in person

Are you sure your generator/regulator are in good working order? Having the ammeter go to the negative side when lights are turned on at idle is normal. If you rev it up, to get a good output out of the generator, the ammeter should then swing back to the positive side, are at lease go to "0" if the battery doesn't need to be recharged.

Merle

• Like 1

Very nice, especially to have help. I removed and put mine back on by myself. Just lift those fenders vertical place the bottom and then lower thse fenders into place. But would no recommend if you have nice paint.

• Like 1

One more bit of good news.  I was having a hard time finding someone to do the front end alignment on Dolly.  I found one shop that said they would do it, but I wasn't confident they actually knew how to do it.  Other shops said they only work on modern vehicles and don't bend axles anymore. Then a guy at Napa suggested I talk to one of their employees, Howard, a long time family friend.  He retired several years ago from his tire and front end shop he owned and now works at Napa part time.  He has been doing front end work on the weekends at the auto shop behind Napa.  He worked on Dolly when I was in High School. He said he is trying to not do anymore vehicles, but he had promised a guy with a hot rod he would do it for him, so he said he will schedule time for Dolly and the hot rod on the same day and they will be his last two vehicles.  He did great work and has all the correct tools to do the alignment.  I am excited.  I hope I can take pictures (I also hope the front end is ok, I did new king pins and bushings, and straightened the tie rod).  I did a rough toe in adjustment according to the manual, but I suspect the other adjustments need tuning too!

• Like 1

I have visited a couple of Firestone dealers, and they both said that if they are given the alignment specs from the shop manual, they can put their high-tech alignment machines in "manual" mode and do the alignment...although they both expressed concern about parts being too rusty or fragile to put wrenches on them...a couple of independent alignment shops echoed these sentiments :cool:

One more bit of good news.  I was having a hard time finding someone to do the front end alignment on Dolly.  I found one shop that said they would do it, but I wasn't confident they actually knew how to do it.  Other shops said they only work on modern vehicles and don't bend axles anymore. Then a guy at Napa suggested I talk to one of their employees, Howard, a long time family friend.  He retired several years ago from his tire and front end shop he owned and now works at Napa part time.  He has been doing front end work on the weekends at the auto shop behind Napa.  He worked on Dolly when I was in High School. He said he is trying to not do anymore vehicles, but he had promised a guy with a hot rod he would do it for him, so he said he will schedule time for Dolly and the hot rod on the same day and they will be his last two vehicles.  He did great work and has all the correct tools to do the alignment.  I am excited.  I hope I can take pictures (I also hope the front end is ok, I did new king pins and bushings, and straightened the tie rod).  I did a rough toe in adjustment according to the manual, but I suspect the other adjustments need tuning too!

heck if he's "done" he should sell his tools so someone can take up the tasks in the future!

heck if he's "done" he should sell his tools so someone can take up the tasks in the future!

Mark; We see that sort of thing all the time around here. Guy sells his tools or business. Problem is that rarely does the new owner have the skills and passion. It takes more than a "I wanna" attitude. Finding the right person for those tools is a lot harder than it sounds.

If you can get Dolly dialed in by an old pro like this  ......go for it!

Jeff

• Like 1

Mark; We see that sort of thing all the time around here. Guy sells his tools or business. Problem is that rarely does the new owner have the skills and passion. It takes more than a "I wanna" attitude. Finding the right person for those tools is a lot harder than it sounds.

If you can get Dolly dialed in by an old pro like this  ......go for it!

Jeff

true, but worse is the guy who never sells his tools, dies and the family has no idea and splits everything up/throws it all away/scraps it.

• Like 1

I took two straight 20' 2x6's and laid them parallel from the rear tires forward, then I set my front tires accordingly. May have just got lucky but it drives straight like a train.

Mark;

I agree. For what it is worth I don't think most of us have a plan for this sort of thing. It just happens. It sure is a shame when the tools don't find a good home though and end up getting destroyed. :huh: When I was a teenager a family friend that retired from Tool & Die making for an aerospace firm. He offered me all his tools.....boxes and boxes of stuff. I turned it down though as I had no idea what I was looking at. It wasn't until years later that I understood the mistake I made.

Hopefully this fellow will find a good home for his collection of tools.

Jeff