Dolly Dodge Update

He says the pressure pot (I think that is what he called it) screws into one of the oil pressure ports on the block.  I haven't seen it yet, he told me to come get it when I was ready to start the engine and if I wanted he would come help me with the start up.  Like I said it is all new to me too.

I see a pre-lube system. One thing about how I was suggesting you go about this is that if you turn it over until you get oil pressure at the gauge you have confirmation that the oil pump has a prime and is working. I would be keen to know this. Going through this process will also perform a pre-lube..

Jeff

Jeff, I think I will do both, your system and the prelube.

I would think you could do the prelube and then turn the engine over to check that it can maintain oil pressure.

• Like 1

Thats the happiest dodge truck owner I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Great job on the engine rebuild and R&R!

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Here is a link to the engine running after it had warmed up. The first video during the first start it was about 32 degrees outside so I had it running with throttle and choke while it warmed up. this video is after it warmed up, and I adjusted the idle and idle mix.  It really does sound good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baYk60Ca4hs&feature=youtu.be

• Like 1

DD did you do a engine break in then?  Personally I think it's vital to do so.

Break in beliefs seem to changed concerning the old engines as well as the new engines over the years. To me, the main thing is to give the rings a chance to settle in without the burden of a heavy load. The thought is 1/2 hour varing rpms under 2500, change the oil and change the oil after 50 miles of light driving, then change again after 500 miles.....then its done. Honestly, the load put on a fun truck might never see a real load it was orginally meant for...ever! So a well tuned carb that doesn't wash out the oil off the cylinders during the first start up....a few nice sunday drives...a few frequent oil changes, and keep it tuned up, should do it. IMO

48D  

• Like 2

Break in beliefs seem to changed concerning the old engines as well as the new engines over the years. To me, the main thing is to give the rings a chance to settle in without the burden of a heavy load. The thought is 1/2 hour varing rpms under 2500, change the oil and change the oil after 50 miles of light driving, then change again after 500 miles.....then its done. Honestly, the load put on a fun truck might never see a real load it was orginally meant for...ever! So a well tuned carb that doesn't wash out the oil off the cylinders during the first start up....a few nice sunday drives...a few frequent oil changes, and keep it tuned up, should do it. IMO

48D  

to me part of the break in is to get the engine up to temp and get everything nice and hot and moving....LISTEN for anything "off"...get the timing down...tappets, etc.  Then after it's been run inspect the oil for anything that doesn't belong.  Also gets all the assembly gunk cleaned off surfaces.  Just my opinion.

I sure like the way you focus on attention to painting  details like which washers and bolts to paint,clean no paint ground surfaces ect!

Attention to detail... so important!

Lubing bolt threads, making sure all grease fittings are greased, lubing the speedo head, door latches ect.. all this will make sure you are good to go on the road!

Like the factory part# on the bell housing too. :)

I have tried to do a nice job on details, wish I had the funds to do the body, but for now I at least got the mechanical stuff fixed, and the interior. I have been lubing all bolts as I put them in as saw on another poat someone recomended that. As far as the posts on break in. Marv, at the machine shop told me to warm it up, change rpms (not just idle), since it isn't drivable yet. He also had me use an additive high in zinc, which is to be changed at 1000 miles. It sounds amazing at all levels, no rattle or clanking anywhere:)

• Like 2

Hi all:  I converted my PowerPoint presentation on Dolly Dodge to video if you all want to have a look at it.  I did the slide advance fairly quickly since there are so many slides. So sometimes it is hard to read the captions unless you pause the video.  YouTube is still processing the video, but it should be up in an hour or so.

http://youtu.be/H_QYQQxl9r8