Aerostar Springs, my review

Most people don't have a clue as to the proper way the 51's go. Seen it a hundred times. Doesn't really matter.

it would help if the image in the center is legible, mine is so cracked and faded its very hard to make out, if I didnt know whats supposed to be in there, I definitely wouldn't see it.

Here is what the 1951 plastic hood medallion looked like when they were new...

Bob

post-302-0-77999200-1404616801_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I thought I saw a blurb once about some of them being delivered from the factory upsidedown on 1950 models.

I once read an article that said the only way a '50 Plymouth hood medallion could be installed upside down is if the mounting holes on the hood were punched in the wrong place at the factory..  It went on to say that this happened for a batch of hoods at one point.

What a Difference !

Changed the springs yesterday evening, but couldn't finish it until today. One side didn't have any spring insulators, and the other side were so brittle they fell apart. Sifted through some at the parts store, pair of uppers from 80 something Ford, lowers from I don't know what, but the diameters were right. 

Moog CC850 like Conroe suggested, cut 1 round, dropped 2". About a 2 hour job if you have everything ready, probably 1 1/2 next time. Impact, air ratchet, 2 sockets, 1 wrench, 2 jack stands, floor jack, small pry bar,.....................easy.

Went for a ride this evening, and it transformed the car ! No wallowing, semi-firm but great ride, flat around curves (in comparison to before), no bottoming. I would highly recommend this mod !!!

Very informative thread, many thanks !

Before:

1949%20Plymouth%20Suburban%20045-M.jpg

After:

Plymouth%20mods%201%20002-M.jpg

Before

1949%20Plymouth%20Suburban%20044-M.jpg

After

Plymouth%20mods%201%20003-M.jpg

1949%20Plymouth%20Suburban%20046-M.jpg

Plymouth%20mods%201%20001-M.jpg

• Like 1

I too swapped in these springs over the weekend and removed a coil.  Night and day difference.  With some new shocks out front, it'll be better than new.  Cured much of the body roll and bump steer issues.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I have ordered a pair of the springs. i will report back on the difference if it is obvious. Probably a wire diameter, weight, length deal. My car still sits about an inch too high for my tastes so rather than cutting the stock springs I will experiment with these.

I changed my springs out today. I cut three quarters of a coil off the Aerostar springs. After I put it back together I had a 1/2 inch drop from my original height. I will let it stay this way until the car is all assembled. It doesn't have a radiator, coolant, any of the spash pans other than the inner fenders and no hood. I am sure that it is going to drop more after the springs take a set and the car is finished. I like my stuff low and already have Fatman dropped uprights so I am being cautious.

Edited by Don Colliau
  • Like 1

my front end is together,,,steering is sorta out now,,,mike at fat mans was able to guide me  in the correct direction along with  looking under other 40s mopars at the nsra  event,,,  still have some cooling issues,,,

but cant imagine how low your sitting  with  cut coils and  dropped un rights,,, my car  is way  low with new stock  colis and dropped uprights

my front end is together,,,steering is sorta out now,,,mike at fat mans was able to guide me  in the correct direction along with  looking under other 40s mopars at the nsra  event,,,  still have some cooling issues,,,

but cant imagine how low your sitting  with  cut coils and  dropped un rights,,, my car  is way  low with new stock  colis and dropped uprights

Here is a picture of mine. I would like to see a picture of yours.

newsprings_zps4338b786.jpg

Isn't there any place to get springs that are factory specs and not too high?

when  i ordered my  new factory  spec  front  coils they asked me if  i wanted it to sit lower,,,i already had the  dropped up rights so  i got them stock  height,, eaton  spring,,

• 2 weeks later...

When you guys cut the coils are you starting at the end of the flat coil (top)and going once round from there or are you cutting the other end that is all round coil(bottom)?  I am surprised you get 2" of drop from cutting the top, the bottom makes for sense for 1 coil = 2".  But I've been wrong before.