Aerostar Springs, my review

All of this is on a 51 cranbrook, factory stock everything. I did a spring change because during the brake job I noticed the right one had the bottom coil broken off and wedged in there, I dont know when it happened but it was obvious I needed a set of springs and the search was on.

I installed a set of the Moog cc850 coil springs. They were 2.5" shorter than the factory springs but they had the car nose up to stock height anyways. Definitely firmer than the stock soft floaters.

My basic review is that it needed to come down a wee bit more but it was fine as is but I have a 3" drop in the rear so it was kinda nose up stance with the new springs up front.

I put it on the road and holy smokes the car has never driven so nice! It was super stable, floated like a caddy smooth ride but not wafting around and floating around like it used to. These $50 springs was the best thing I have done for my car so far! I love them, Love them so much I figured, what the hell, for $50, lets cut a coil and see how she sits. PERFECT! the ride is amazingly flat nosed around corners, handles smooth as glass, height wise it sits where the fender lip is at the top of my tire(15/215/70) and couldn't be happier with how it looks and rides and handles.

This modification gets my 2 thumbs up for its simple install and huge change in the cars attitude, I tamed the floating beast and she liked it!

• Like 4

I think these old cars like new springs. !!!! Lumpy sure drives and rides better since I got new ones.

ken.

I recently installed the same springs on my 54 ford to replace the worn out cut coils with the same results WOW what a difference raised the car back up a little but waiting for them to settle, also have them installed on the 49 Plymouth project (not road worthy yet).....all the guys on the 52-54 ford forum that have done this say the springs will settle some after being installed awhile so expect the nose to go down some more when they settle!

Edited by Losthope
  • Like 2

All of this is on a 51 cranbrook, factory stock everything. I did a spring change because during the brake job I noticed the right one had the bottom coil broken off and wedged in there, I dont know when it happened but it was obvious I needed a set of springs and the search was on.

I installed a set of the Moog cc850 coil springs. They were 2.5" shorter than the factory springs but they had the car nose up to stock height anyways. Definitely firmer than the stock soft floaters.

My basic review is that it needed to come down a wee bit more but it was fine as is but I have a 3" drop in the rear so it was kinda nose up stance with the new springs up front.

I put it on the road and holy smokes the car has never driven so nice! It was super stable, floated like a caddy smooth ride but not wafting around and floating around like it used to. These $50 springs was the best thing I have done for my car so far! I love them, Love them so much I figured, what the hell, for $50, lets cut a coil and see how she sits. PERFECT! the ride is amazingly flat nosed around corners, handles smooth as glass, height wise it sits where the fender lip is at the top of my tire(15/215/70) and couldn't be happier with how it looks and rides and handles.

This modification gets my 2 thumbs up for its simple install and huge change in the cars attitude, I tamed the floating beast and she liked it!

Pics......we need pics!!!!!

• Like 1

I'll have to look and see where I got the skirts at, I checked so may places, I think I found 3 places in my searches and dont really remember off hand, they are fiberglass, well made, the brackets are decent and I had zero issues with them so far. I think they were in the $150 range. I'll look for ya.

I just ordered some for a 49 Suburban. There is only about 100 lbs difference between suburban and a sedan, and that should be in the rear due to the roof. The front should be the same.

• Like 1

according to old hollander interchange manual-

Ply. 40-50 all except 7 pass. sdn.,limo, stn wagon are the same.

51-51 except suburban.

DJ

I see your hood medallion and base is upside down?

Spring work looks good.

Bob

I see your hood medallion and base is upside down?

Spring work looks good.

Bob

Holy smokes! I never knew that! I went out with a flashlight and looked at the ship real close, its hard to make out because the small cracks but sure enough, its upside down! I bought the car with it that way, I guess I'll leave it as is, kinda used to it now I reckon. I will search for a new one and flip it when the new paint job phase comes.

according to old hollander interchange manual-

Ply. 40-50 all except 7 pass. sdn.,limo, stn wagon are the same.

51-51 except suburban.

DJ

Interesting. I have ordered a pair of the springs. i will report back on the difference if it is obvious. Probably a wire diameter, weight, length deal. My car still sits about an inch too high for my tastes so rather than cutting the stock springs I will experiment with these.

Edited by Don Colliau

Holy smokes! I never knew that! I went out with a flashlight and looked at the ship real close, its hard to make out because the small cracks but sure enough, its upside down! I bought the car with it that way, I guess I'll leave it as is, kinda used to it now I reckon. I will search for a new one and flip it when the new paint job phase comes.

I've seen lots of '51's with upside-down hood medallions, even when these cars were in everyday use.  Some people may think they look better that way, and others may have been done by body men slapping a car together after a repair.

Most people don't have a clue as to the proper way the 51's go. Seen it a hundred times. Doesn't really matter.

Most people don't have a clue as to the proper way the 51's go. Seen it a hundred times. Doesn't really matter.

I thought I saw a blurb once about some of them being delivered from the factory upsidedown on 1950 models.