New member really needing some fluid drive transmission help!

ledfootslim

We'll, it was just any cars entered by kids eighteen and under. And it was a pretty sweet Dodge. :-)

Cars are generally judged against those in like categories/classes/year group.  Judging by the owners age group is a strange concept, but if she was cute I guess that is OK.

• Like 1

Meanwhile back at your problem. You say it seems to shift into high when you use the clutch. It may have something to do with the idle setting, or some linkage. Has to idle down to shift, and that may not be happening just by taking your foot off the gas. Does it work in the lower range?  I don't have any experience with it. Just tossing it out for thought.

I haven't had any luck getting it to shift in low range- I've had a hard time getting more than five miles or so out of low range, at which time I shift to high. I have messed with a wide range of idle settings, from barely puttering to banging pretty good. What linkage could I check?

My thought of linkage is that to the carb. Carb idle has to drop while driving to shift. Sometimes linkage is worn and does not allow everything to move freely. If you are not seeing any problems with that, then your problem may be elsewhere. It may come down to doing all the electrical and mechanical tests that are done with the vehicle up on blocks.

This is correct.  Mine idles at 450 RPM.  Any faster and it will not up shift automatically.  Ok this is how I was told how to drive mine.  Tip Toe Shift is easily identified by the junction box located on the air-cleaner brace. Other under hood clues are the three wires that go to the carburetor - two to the anti-stall device at the front of the carb, and one to the kickdown switch at the rear.

If the previous owner wasn't sure, and the car does have Tip Toe Shift, chances are no one has driven this car the right way in years. Here's how to drive with Tip Toe Shift:

You don't need to use the clutch during normal driving. The clutch is only needed to put the car into "Drive" or "Reverse", or "Neutral" or "Lo".

Once you shift into drive, all you have to do is accelerate to about 15 miles per hour, then lift your foot from the gas. Wait about a second. Click! The car shifts automatically. Put your foot back on the gas and resume acceleration. No need to use the clutch.

Need to pass something? Floor the accelerator. Zoom, the car shifts down into passing gear automatically. Done passing? Release the accelerator and wait for the car to shift back into cruising gear. No need to use the clutch.

When it's time to come to a stop, just ease up on the gas and brake normally. No need to use the clutch; no need to worry about rolling backwards or stalling at the light. When it's time to go again, just hit the gas and accelerate to 15 miles per hour and lift your foot then wait for the clunk.

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

This is correct.  Mine idles at 450 RPM.  Any faster and it will not up shift automatically.  Ok this is how I was told how to drive mine.  Tip Toe Shift is easily identified by the junction box located on the air-cleaner brace. Other under hood clues are the three wires that go to the carburetor - two to the anti-stall device at the front of the carb, and one to the kickdown switch at the rear.[/size]

If the previous owner wasn't sure, and the car does have Tip Toe Shift, chances are no one has driven this car the right way in years. Here's how to drive with Tip Toe Shift:

You don't need to use the clutch during normal driving. The clutch is only needed to put the car into "Drive" or "Reverse", or "Neutral" or "Lo".

Once you shift into drive, all you have to do is accelerate to about 15 miles per hour, then lift your foot from the gas. Wait about a second. Click! The car shifts automatically. Put your foot back on the gas and resume acceleration. No need to use the clutch.

Need to pass something? Floor the accelerator. Zoom, the car shifts down into passing gear automatically. Done passing? Release the accelerator and wait for the car to shift back into cruising gear. No need to use the clutch.

When it's time to come to a stop, just ease up on the gas and brake normally. No need to use the clutch; no need to worry about rolling backwards or stalling at the light. When it's time to go again, just hit the gas and accelerate to 15 miles per hour and lift your foot then wait for the clunk.

Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

Thanks Rusty, but that is how I was trying to drive mine. If there are supposed to be wires going to the carb, they are gone.

Thanks Rusty, but that is how I was trying to drive mine. If there are supposed to be wires going to the carb, they are gone.

This is from the Dodge manual. Yours would be similar.

Air cleaner brace on Dodge has the resistor, and circuit breaker.

post-80-0-81976100-1404876750_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-70073800-1404877164_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...