Champion aluminum radiator

Don Coatney

Thanks Fred. I was talking when I should have been listening. I called Champion for a recommendation and they did some research and called me back a few minutes ago. They told me a NAPA 703-1412 was the cap I needed same as you did. They said they had this cap in there shop and it does fit there radiators. They also told me they plugged this number into the NAPA website and it is a good number. I do recommend Champion Radiators as there customer service is top notch.

• Like 2

Glad it worked out for you Don...........

Thanks Fred. I was talking when I should have been listening. I called Champion for a recommendation and they did some research and called me back a few minutes ago. They told me a NAPA 703-1412 was the cap I needed same as you did. They said they had this cap in there shop and it does fit there radiators. They also told me they plugged this number into the NAPA website and it is a good number. I do recommend Champion Radiators as there customer service is top notch.

That's a welcome surprise. Good customer service like that has become the exception instead of the rule. I will be using them when I buy a radiator for my 47.

• 1 month later...

This thread was very informative !

My radiator core needed replacing which was double the cost of an aluminum one. No Champion radiators were available, and every vendor I checked, stated they were on backorder un late September.

I found another brand that fit perfect, American Eagle AE52PLY. I had to drill two holes for the lower mounts and trim the top radiator hose. The top mount holes are placed correctly, but the lower holes were 2" lower than my '49. The inlet (top) was centered on the tank, the OEM was offset 4" to driver's side. Trimmed the bend from the top hose............... fit perfectly !

photo%201-M.jpg

photo%202-M.jpg

photo%203%20%281%29-M.jpg

• Like 1

Aw, dlrides, now American Eagle will be backlogged as everyone goes with your recommendation, like they did with Don's enthusiasm over Champion Radiators.  

But that's the way supply and demand works.  It's better than some apparatchik ordering production of a zillion unwanted zircles and none of the zoicles that are in so much demand.  (I just made up zircles and zoicles.)  

I have installed a few Champion radiators in cars/trucks and I have to say no problems.  Good radiators for the money.  I have one installed in a 48 coupe now with a 360.  Had to swap the radiator mount around for it fit. Electric fan had to be used.  I will post some pictures of it with the V8 set up.  I also have one for my 41 business coupe.  Stock 218 in that.  It's an American Eagle brand which is the same company as Champion, just a spin off owned by the same guy.  No difference between the Champion on the American Eagle.  Just different boxes.  Customer service is great.  I bought it off ebay for the 41 and they had a catalog issue as it was way to small and wasn't close.  I told him what I needed, he took care of it, sent a return tag and fed ex picked up and shipped the replacement out to me.  4 days later, it was all taken care of.  I told them if this is what their customer service is like, I will be a life long purchaser of their products.  

Has cutting the beading off the inlet and outlet caused any issues for any of you guys? I just bought a the exact same champion radiator this week and assume I'll need to trim the outlet based on what Don and several others have done. One other question, is there a suggested way to cut off the outlet or should I just hacksaw away... Thanks everyone!

Has cutting the beading off the inlet and outlet caused any issues for any of you guys? I just bought a the exact same champion radiator this week and assume I'll need to trim the outlet based on what Don and several others have done. One other question, is there a suggested way to cut off the outlet or should I just hacksaw away... Thanks everyone!

????

I don't know why one would have to.

I drilled two 1/4" holes and trimmed the top hose, that's all.

I don't believe the OEM radiators had that bevel so I don't see how cutting it off will matter.

OEM radiator top spout is at a different angle. Also the OEM was designed for zero pressure and the new will handle up to 16 pounds of pressure. If I were running 16 pounds I think the bevel would be needed. But I have a 4 pound cap and do not have plans to go any higher.

P8170001_01.jpg

I do not understand your comments?? Please post photos and explain further????

Hard to cut the elbow off when it doesn't exist. 49-52 should be straight.

EDIT: Plymouth that is, I have no idea about Dodge !

Edited by dlrides

I have installed a few Champion radiators in cars/trucks and I have to say no problems.  Good radiators for the money.  I have one installed in a 48 coupe now with a 360.  Had to swap the radiator mount around for it fit. Electric fan had to be used.  I will post some pictures of it with the V8 set up.  I also have one for my 41 business coupe.  Stock 218 in that.  It's an American Eagle brand which is the same company as Champion, just a spin off owned by the same guy.  No difference between the Champion on the American Eagle.  Just different boxes.  Customer service is great.  I bought it off ebay for the 41 and they had a catalog issue as it was way to small and wasn't close.  I told him what I needed, he took care of it, sent a return tag and fed ex picked up and shipped the replacement out to me.  4 days later, it was all taken care of.  I told them if this is what their customer service is like, I will be a life long purchaser of their products.  

I would like to see the pics of the  41    champion  radiator,,,,,when  u get to it,,,,,

It looks like they need to modify that 90 degree angle of the upper neck to 45 degrees.......then it would line up like

the original.  

I bought a used radiator at the swap meet last weekend..........it's for a model newer than a P15 as the overflow tube

comes off the filler neck.......for a pressurized system.  Not sure which year pressurized systems began.  

And, I discovered I have a n.o.s. water pump without the two holes at the top for the bypass system.  

Currently my car is using a bypass system, but would changing to the non-bypass, pressurized type make any

real difference??

I bought a used radiator at the swap meet last weekend..........it's for a model newer than a P15 as the overflow tube

comes off the filler neck.......for a pressurized system.  Not sure which year pressurized systems began.  

1951 for plymouth.