Champion aluminum radiator

Don Coatney

This morning my new radiator arrived. Champion 3 core Aluminum model number CC4749. Advertised as a bolt in for a P-15. I have been told by other forum members that I may have to lower the radiator by about one inch for hood clearance because I have moved my radiator forward to allow room for my Desoto engine. I will tell the tale of the tape once I mock everything up. Bought the radiator from Amazon $216.00 delivered to my front door.

P6180003.jpg

P6180002.jpg

P6180001_01.jpg

Looking good....I am sure Don will get hotter installing this than the car will with it in use....it is quite warm here at my place already...been out for a few hours and in for a cool down spell...

For the record, if that fill spout is totally in the way...investigate inline rad cap in top hose...in using the Griffin/Summit unit in my retrofits...I make use of these inline fittings...the latest, bz cp with 2004 set up..the factory in 2004 used an inline..so win win there...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

You gonna paint the radiator black, to look stock, or keep it mill finish, for some bling?  

What are the guys doing?  (Probably some do and some don't, like everything else.)

Do radiators require a special black paint to transmit the heat?  

My son was going to drop the grandkids off at 4:30. I was going to have him help me lift it out. At 4:45 he had not arrived yet so I did it myself. He arrived at 4:47, honked and waved as he dropped the grandkids off and went speeding off into the sunset. :angry:

• Like 1

Nice radiator Don,I'm sure it will work well for you in your hopped up Plymouth...and as for the advancing years as mentioned,I haven't played contact sports since I was a young fellow - and occasionally I'm painfully reminded of injuries I suffered as a young man and I wonder how those my age who were involved in professional sports such as hockey, football and rodeo must feel like when they tumble out of the sack in the morning ..
:rolleyes:

Ralph...I was invited back to attend a cook out for the group I worked with after retiring 2 years ago..mainly younger set and playing softball...throwing,no problem. batting no problem..running was however a bit of prob..not that I could not run but getting started.. I found that I had almost forgot how to run, that first base hit was rough...after that I settled back in.,,,,best part was I was not sore afterwards..but rest assured..you don't use it..you will likely lose it...

I installed a Champion radiator in my P15 a few years ago. Seems to be very well made and reasonably priced but at the time, they did not offer a radiator to fit the P15. The radiator I ended up with was meant for a mid 60's Ford Mustang. It was the best fit of their offerings. It works OK, but I'm interested in this thread, as the V8 in the car could use some reserve cooling on long grades, At times it tends to run hotter than I'm comfortable with, although it's never really overheated. This new radiator has a larger core than the one I used. If Don is satisfied with his new radiator, I might look into upgrading mine. I'll be following this thread.

Wayne

• Like 1

They usually have avail. 2 row and 3 row radiators, very close to the same price.

I used one of their rad. in my 50 Ply. 3 row- suggested to cool up to 450 hp. Guaranteed? do not think so!

My car is a stock 230 and can idle forever at home in 95D. weather forever!

DJ

Those radiators are a bit heavy for an old man, especially at arm's length.  I wrestled mine out when I did the p.s. modifications.  I had my wife help me reinstall the radiator.  Two people lifting at the sides is much easier.

I now use my engine hoist for radiators on some of my cars- the radiators are just too big and heavy like the 1940-48 chrysler eight cylinder radiators-they are big and heavy!

post-302-0-19996400-1403230694_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-84644000-1403230719_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yep, I'm about ready to wire and get that 318 running, but I know I'll need a new radiator that'll fit in front of the original mounting frame; that's why I was interested in Don's new one, especially if the pressure ratings adequate ???  Cass, alias littlemo... :confused:    Add: Thanks Don !!!

Edited by littlemo

Yep, I'm about ready to wire and get that 318 running, but I know I'll need a new radiator that'll fit in front of the original mounting frame; that's why I was interested in Don's new one, especially if the pressure ratings adequate ???  Cass, alias littlemo... :confused:    Add: Thanks Don !!!

Contact forum member Mark Haymond. He installed this radiator in his 318 powered P-15. He is the one who told me the radiator is too tall and hits the hood when closed. He advised me to re-drill the mounting holes as he also has reversed the radiator mounting bracket to move the radiator 2 inches forward. I will start measuring in the morning. If you look at the photo posted by FULMNTE below the top radiator tank differs from the one I bought as the fill cap location has changed. I may not have to re-drill and lower the radiator in my car. Another issue I will have to deal with is the positioning of the upper radiator hose spout. On the Champion the spout turn down at a 90 degree angle and it is different on my original radiator.

Nice,

I am running the same radiator in my Wayfarer for a few months now... No problems so far...

med_gallery_6743_233_322405.jpg

P6180001_01.jpg

topleak.jpg