Brake Cylinders '47 Desoto

Bingster

Consider having them sleeved. That is the route I am going with all cylinders on my '48 Dodge D25. It costs but I should never have to do them again as long as I own the car, hopefully another 20+ years as I am now 65. I went with White Post as they offer a full life-time warranty on all sleeved and rebuilt cylinders. I phoned them with lots of questions and liked the answers so I am going with them.

I told myself the next time I had a leaky cylinder this was the route I was going. One of the passenger fronts started leaking so I am doing them all. Also going to replace all original steel lines at this point. All three rubbers hoses were replaced not long ago so will leave them. All shoes good except for the ones with brake fluid on them so will redo those two.

I have persoanlly visited the White Post restoration facility several times. The National Desoto Club held one of their annual convnetions on the White Post property. They had just completed a restoration of a 57 Desoto at that time.

Also when Billy Thompson was alive, he was the owner of White Post, he would host a weekend event onhis property for all car owners to attend.  His shop was open to visitiros to look at what his skilled craftsmen do.  we did notice at that time he did not have the new computerized equipment but was using the good old lathes inwhich they     miced the piece they were working on. So the restores in his shop had to have the tecnical and also work experience skills to get the job done properly.

White post has always done great work.  They drill out the cylinders and then instert a sleeve and then  they make sure this is at the correct spec for each item.

Costly but done right and then you still hvae the old original part but new guts onthe inside.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

The master cylinder on my '47 Dodge truck has dual circuits.   The man who sold me the truck said that a larger model power wagon truck used this mc, maybe '67.   I wonder if this type of master cylinder could be used on a P15 ?  It looks like the OEM '47 system except it has two reservoirs and brake lines. 

I honed and rebuilt some of mine but the ones that were too pitted needed replacement. I ordered through www.rockauto.com though I cannot recall which brand I purchased. They had the best price I could find and the part was as expected and has served perfectly for the last 2 years (so far so good).  They recently emailed me a 5% discount code if you decide to purchase through them. Enter at checkout: 2311114421253610

• 1 month later...

There pricing depends on if the cylinder is a step cylinder with two different size bores. You will need to call them directly.  Someone stated they thought they sand blasted the cylinders. No the bore them out and then pressing a stainless steel sleeve.

I would always look for a NOS Stock cylinder before buying a newer cylinder and then prefer a sleeved cylinder over the Crap that is being sold by some venders.

They do very good quality work.

Rich Hartung

Rich, if I found a NOS cylinder, do you think the rubber boot would need to be replaced after all these years?  Doesn't rubber break down?

For as inexpensive as a wheel cylinder rebuild kit is, wouldn't hurt to change the rubber parts, if you find an NOS one. As has been mentioned, have yours (hopefully original) re-sleeved with stainless steel, they will never pit, you won't end up with foreign junk that MAY last a few years, & then be in the same boat. I had mine re-sleeved & they were the step bore type, cost $75 each & they bead blasted the wheel cylinders. I used http://www.brakeplace.com/ & they can supply you with the rebuild kits also. Very happy with their service-fast turn around time & they paid the return shipping, if I remember correctly.

With any NOS product, remember NOS meant that it was new back many many years ago.  So you are looking at rubber parts that have been sitting for many years and you do not know where the part was sitting. It might have been in a damp room, sun light hitting them. So yes replace with fresh Rubber and not ones that you find at a swap meet.  Go to your NAPA store of to one of our parts suppliesr on the Web and get fresh rubber inner and outer seals and cups.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Most Auto parts houses ( O'rilleys, H-O, NAPA, ect) use Cardone industries for new and rebuilt brake master and slave cylinders.  Most of which have a 3 year/36000 mile waranty. Most of the parts need to be looked up in the book and crossed over to the newer part number for them, but the knowledgeable ones behind the counter should be able to help.

as an example a 1950 dodge wayfarer at NAPA use to be 3241 and the rebuild kit was 143. the rebuild kit number is still good (about $22) but the complete master cylinder number has changed to P33792 for a rebuilt one ( about $125) or M3241 for a new one(about$262).

Rock Auto lists wheel cylinders and master cylinders for the '47 De Soto but no brake drums.

Here are your wheel cylinder numbers

RR EW10588  LR EW10588

RF upper EW10581  lower EW10583

LF upper EW10580  lower EW10582

Hoses Front SP967   Rear SP790

Taken from my wagner Brake catalog

Rich HArtung

• 2 weeks later...