Newbie needs P15 serial no. (vin tag) help

0verw0rked

I'm looking to trade labor for a special deluxe 4 door. The Serial tag is located on the right side (passenger side) door post. From what I've read serial tags are located on right side pillar post up to 1942 and on the left side 1946 on up.

If the serial no. 25003xxx was manufactured in 1946 why is tag on right side??

Can anyone explain and/or tell me where to find more info on this?... as well as body and engine number ID. Thank You.

1946 Plym Spec D serial # started with 25, 000, 001 and went to 25, 009, 752

Your engine # should be on a flat spot on the block near the generator, below the head. Should start with P15

Some info has been posted about the dealer moving the serial number tag

to install a door post light switch. I think that was on later years, and was generally just moved up, or down on the same side. Does not explain why yours would be on the right.

Pic of the  vehicle my help to determine what it is. Could be the tag does not belong to that vehicle. Could have been removed from a 1946, and located to the right side as it would be on prewar Plyms.  Could be auto worker went off to war, came back in '46 and just continued to put the sn tag where it was before leaving :rolleyes:

Edit: Seems some were on the right hand side.

Edited by shel_ny

mine is on the pass side also.  This web site has a reference page listing the p15 serial numbers in groups which will tell you when and where the car was built.  Detroit mot common, Evansville, Indiana, or Las Angeles Ca.or Windsor Canada.

Edited by greg g