1950 Suburban 5.7 Hemi project

Don Colliau

It appears that the sway bar was heated and bent up to get the ends at a better angle to the A arm for the links.  If so what does it do to the temper of the sway bar?

I was told that if you heat and bend the sway bar and let it air cool it is not a problem. And yes I did bend it. I don't think it is tempered.

• Like 1

A bit more progress. I filled in the 50 fender parking light opening to match the 49 fender. I found a pair of housings for a 49 and I have 49 bezels and rings. Filled the 49 molding holes. They are on the top of the fender seam. The 50 is below. Removed and filled the gas door it just wasn't going to fly. The original hole was filled with a glued in plug and it was falling out so I repaired it too. Working on the rear quarter corners. One done (the easy one) the other under way.

003_zps66539f1e.jpg

005_zpscf0b3051.jpg

002_zps5391c797.jpg

001_zpsb94e924a.jpg

004_zps8c964337.jpg

Since your making the 50 front look like a 49 same as I did, wondering if your after a 49 grille?

I collected several and one is nice with only a couple of broken mounting studs.

What's your plan for the gas filler?

Pm if interested and can discuss.

Loving your project and work!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

Right rear is done. This had three pieces of metal that need to be repaired. I didn't have any customer cars to work on since Friday. So it was a me weekend.

001_zps41b3a6f2.jpg

006_zps40c09a31.jpg

007_zps9b05d81c.jpg

010_zps3c36d811.jpg

Now for taillights. I have all the original auction pictures showing lenses for the original lights. I have housings but no lenses. Sent an email to the PO. We will see what happens.

that is typical under metal of a Suburban rear quarter..except for paint color...could well have been the repairs I effected on my wagon..do inspect lower gate mount panel..they tend to eat away inside long before exterior shows damage...

I will

Since your making the 50 front look like a 49 same as I did, wondering if your after a 49 grille?

I collected several and one is nice with only a couple of broken mounting studs.

What's your plan for the gas filler?

Pm if interested and can discuss.

Loving your project and work!

DJ

My body man has an idea for the gas filler he has not shared with me yet. I am going to stick with the 50 grille. It seems to me less complicated to me. But thanks for the offer. I too have parts off this car that need to go. Dash and heater control moldings and knobs and radio housing.  Steering gear and tie rods and ends. Look to be all replated. And when I say body man, he is a very good you friend of mine that I have talked into the floor and rocker repair.  The rear quarter repair and firewall rebuild is my job. He does all the hard stuff.

1996 Jeep Grand Cheerokee, along with Energy Suspension mounts, and the shortest end links they make. Drilling 4 holes as far forward on the frame as possible gets it hung. Two tabs, 1/4" thick, one on each control arm, gets it hooked up.

thanks,,,

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now for a report on the stripping. Dustless it is. No warping. Really messy. You will see from the last picture all the glass and paint I pushed out in the driveway off of the cement. It will disappear sometime. I liked the job. Did the body dash and rear fenders. I just got done priming. started getting ready at 6am. $600.00 for the job.

002_zps95f66616.jpg
001_zps29fddb83.jpg
005_zpsb99d4cc6.jpg
004_zps77833d55.jpg

008_zps58042dd1.jpg
016_zpsd9915b80.jpg
020_zps39ce4e6b.jpg

...any issues with the glass collecting in nooks and crannies that will stay wet??

YUP!  I have been blowing it out and vacuuming. I didn't weld the sill plates to the floors and rockers and I am glad. I took them off and found a slurry in the rockers. So off to cleaning I went.

Edited by Don Colliau