1950 Suburban 5.7 Hemi project

Don Colliau

Very nice and stylish!  Lots of light over rear!  I Expect to see that in StreetRodder magazine soon!!

One question about  the rear armrest/storage areas- does the lid lift all the way open or do they hit the side panels?? Mine -not in stalled -when just held in place do not. Lots yet to do on my suburban.

Many years ago I think about 1960 a neighbor had a 1950? Ply. suburban  and said they did not open all the way.

That was reason for the Q.

Thanks DJ

WOW! After viewing what you have done, I may stop posting about my '54 utilitarian Suburban build. I know fairly close what mine is costing me, I cannot even imagine the $$$ you have in yours. Again, I'm wowed, enjoy it which I know you will. 

DJ, I cant tell you how fad the arm rests open up I dont have them fastened yet. I haven't see a problem yet. I had to narrow them up about 5/8 of and inch because of the side panel padding and the padding on them making the seat to wide to fit between.

12 hours ago, Don Colliau said:

DJ, I cant tell you how fad the arm rests open up I dont have them fastened yet. I haven't see a problem yet. I had to narrow them up about 5/8 of and inch because of the side panel padding and the padding on them making the seat to wide to fit between.

Thanks for the response, ,  I will have a similar problem?  IF I can can get back to working on mine!

At least yours shows me what can be done!  Great! . Mine will never be to that level -dreaming!  :)

DJ

I am hoping to have the interior done soon but who knows how fast the upholster is gong to have the rear seat built. I am behind on work right now because I had to plow snow yesterday with another 5 inches in the forecast for today. Keep on dreaming and maybe buy a lottery ticket.

6 minutes ago, chopt50wgn said:

Don...........the visors are held in with machine screws. I found stainless flatheads that replaced the stock ones at Ace Hardware. Take the stock ones with you when you go and find the correct length......that's what I did.

There is the problem. The visors were out of the car and I didn't know what screws held them in.

Then your best bet is to get both 10-32 and 10-24 screws ..........am sure you have some in the shop. Then try either one to see which one works and go from there. If I'm not mistaken, I think they are 10-24. Not many cars back then had fine threaded holes. Hope that helps.

34 minutes ago, chopt50wgn said:

Then your best bet is to get both 10-32 and 10-24 screws ..........am sure you have some in the shop. Then try either one to see which one works and go from there. If I'm not mistaken, I think they are 10-24. Not many cars back then had fine threaded holes. Hope that helps.

That is on the list of things to do this weekend. Been plowing snow for two days!

• 4 months later...

Chevy Cavalier center steer rack. I have been really busy with customer cars so I haven't done much to the wagon. So that is why I haven't posted either.  I am trying to solve the poor braking issue I have. Seems I my upholstery guy was over last Friday and he is supposed to be getting me finished up.  some personal problems on his end.

• 3 months later...

So I have not posted in a long time. I was busy with daily driver repairs for customers, the wife getting a new hip  and working like crazy to get the Suburban ready for its first long road trip.  We made the trip to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville Ky.  The throttle cable broke on the way down and luckily we found a small garage to help us out with the repair. Fifty bucks later we were on the road again.

We entered the car into Mopar Country and were picked with five other cars for their award.  Here is a picture of the car on the floor at the award ceremony. We were thrilled!

38635096_1956388504411705_3562289958846726144_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 1/6/2019 at 8:40 PM, a Crook said:

How did you wire the alternator, battery and starter? Thank you! AC

With the Hot Wire Auto system I started with, everything was ready to plug in and run. All the connectors were wired on the harness. With the Mega Squirt system I have changed over to, I wired everything Chevrolet style with the exception of the alternator. It required a alternator plug and a external regulator to make it work. I bought that stuff on line out of Grand Rapids MI. The alternator in the newer Mopars is computer controlled, so they have come up with a system to wire around that.