1950 Suburban 5.7 Hemi project

Don Colliau

Your rockers should have three drain holes in the bottoms which are usually plugged up that can be a big help getting the fine stuff out.

Look from underside to locate if possible.

Looking good!

DJ

If you want to get it all, or at least, more of it, get out the paint gun and make passes as you would when spraying. It moves air differently than a blow gun does and will find pockets of abrasive that the blow gun will just stir up. I 've done the blow gun and vacuum, thought I had it all and had the paint gun blow sand into fresh paint.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok after months here is an update. I finally found some parts on this car that aren't rusty. The tail gate upper and lower. We are rehanging the doors and fenders and getting ready to fill them and block sand to line up together. I have been busy remodeling a bath room, getting the wife healthy after knee surgery and working on customer cars. I hope to fire this up in March.

002_zps995b407b.jpg

005_zpsc4bcb313.jpg

001_zps3baee8d5.jpg

Edited by Don Colliau

The tailgate fits really well. How well do the doors and fenders fit? I can't tell from the pictures.

With a big hammer and some filler you can make anything fit! The passenger door will need the most work closing up the gaps, but everyting else looks pretty good right now.

• 1 month later...

Here are some more body work pictures. Tailgate gaps are tightened up. Door and rocker gaps are tightened up too. Got some door lock rotor repair kits form Bernbaum. They are nice. Pictures of the air conditioner unit tucked up in the roof.

006_zpsao4ow1yt.jpg

008_zpsafyr5qxl.jpg

012_zpsbkf3lm6u.jpg

013_zpskpccwtmu.jpg

009_zpsi0utv8g9.jpg

• Like 1

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w268/dcolliau/Suburban/013_zpskpccwtmu.jpg

What's the rear ac from and will it be controlled from the front?

Very much would like to know what rubber weatherstrip you plan to use for the rear upper door  to body and tailgate to body??

Thanks for any info!

Nice work! :)

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

AC unit is an add on off of Ebay.  I don't expect a stiff neck unless I adjust it to blow right on me. It will be higher than my head because the new seats sit lower than the originals. It will be controlled from the dash. I don't know about weather strip yet. I have not checked into that yet.

Wow, this thing looks AWESOME!  I've wanted a '50 Suburban for a long time, thank God this one has an automatic because if it had a 5spd I'd be mailing you a blank check to buy it when it's done...  Is that a slipyoke adapter bolted to the back of the transmission?  Where did you find that?  Have you decided on the final color scheme?

• Like 1

The adapter is a solid piece. The drive shaft has a slip joint in it. 

And I know you were kidding about the stiff neck.

Color is still not picked out. I'm open for suggestions!

Edited by Don Colliau

The gray with the hemi is really cool!  My buddy wants to go with a root beer metalliac.

I wish I had the parts for the sliding rear windows. They are missing as the PO was making them a one piece glass.

Edited by Don Colliau