1950 Suburban 5.7 Hemi project

Don Colliau

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to bring you all up to date on this project. I was on vacation for a week so nothing got done but I have a problem with the electronics on the car. It is stuck in limp mode. :confused: I have about 80 codes floating around in the computer some are duplicates.  I went thru yesterday and checked all the connections and re adjusted the shift cable and it didn't change a thing. They claim the cable adjustment is really critical. So I am going to contact Hot Wire Auto/ Squire Inc. tomorrow morning and send the computers back to them for testing. I really wanted to test drive this hot rod but that can't happen.  The upholstery guy will be here today to make some patterns. At least that part is moving along. I will give another update after the computers are tested.

Also I should have done more home work. I sent all the window trim to my painter after I spent hours priming and sanding the parts. I went to put the door garnish moulding on only to find out it is for a 4 door car so it is too short.  :mad: After all the problems I have had with this rot and rust free cream puff I wasn't a bit surprised. :rolleyes: $250.00 dollars later I have the correct trim.

Hi Don, not sure if it will work for you but you can usually reset the computer of modern cars by turning the ignition on and off in quick succession about 6 times.

We had a diesel injector pressure issue in our new Mazda BT50 utility here in Oz which would occasionally see it trip to limp mode. We could reset the computer in the manner I described above and that would get us going again until the issue came back the next time - obviously only a temporary fix which we later rectified at the vehicle dealer service department.

The dealers generally don't advise people of this process as it can wipe any fault codes recorded. As I initially said, I don't know if it will work for you, but it might temporarily get you out of a situation.

Edited by Desotodav

• 1 month later...

OK here is an update.
The upholster is working on the interior. Colors are picked and carpet selected.
Still doesn't shift.
I did some more testing yesterday and checking with the new scan tool I bought for Chrysler products. I also did some online research. Being as I didn't know anything about this trans before I bought it I don't know if it shifted after it came out of the wrecked car. Seems the conductor plate and connector in these NAG1 transmissions can be a problem. I can see mph on the scanner so that leads me to believe the ABS and speed sensors are working properly. That is where the signal comes from.
I did find a transmission code for loss of transmission speed sensor signal. That comes from the conductor plate. Controls the shifting. So a new one is on the way.
This is the throw another hundred at it car up to now.

• 3 weeks later...

No good news on the trans shifting problem. I have another way to fix it just another $1200.00 out of pocket. :(I am going to make a decision on that this coming week and also talk to the supplier of the system I have now as to giving me a refund towards this purchase. Anyway, there is some progress on the interior.

IMG_1370_zpsl0fggqc8.jpg

IMG_1369_zpscp0j4a2o.jpg

Edited by Don Colliau
change emoticon
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took the wagon for a alignment and it didn't get done. They claimed it was too low to get on their rack so it will go to another shop next week. I put it on the expressway yesterday and it drives good a 70 to 75 so off to the Street Rod Nationals North in Kalamazoo tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

I saw Don's 5.7 Hemi powered '50 Suburban at the NSRA Nats North event at Kalamazoo this weekend. Spectacular car and a very nice gentleman!

His Dodge COE was impressive, also.

Walt Redmond

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 49D-24BusCpe said:

I saw Don's 5.7 Hemi powered '50 Suburban at the NSRA Nats North event at Kalamazoo this weekend. Spectacular car and a very nice gentleman!

His Dodge COE was impressive, also.

Walt Redmond

Thanks Walt and nice to meet you!

Update!!!!!!!
Went to IDIDIT yesterday for their open house car show. I had the front end aligned last Tuesday. The shop adjusted camber and toe. Caster was within spec. Camber is a bit on the minus side but it is okay. No more adjustment.  Was pushing 80 degrees when I came home so I fired up the AC and it did real well.   I talked to the trans controller guy Friday and we had to check a box in the controller config files to get the bump shift to work. Now I have to pull the computer and send it back to Hot Wire and have it reprogrammed to manual trans mode. It falls on its face at 4000 rpm. We suspected this could happen. Overall this is a great car. Lots of attention and drives very well!

• 2 months later...