1950 Suburban 5.7 Hemi project

Don Colliau

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don....your car looks spectacular. Great job.  I am just beginning a 1949 Plymouth Suburban. Bringing it back to "stock". Engine is currently at machine shop to be bored, decked and valve seats.  I see your glass guy is going to start soon.  I would be particularly interested in how he handles the sliding side windows.  My window channels are shot and I seem to be having trouble finding replacements and instruction/directions on how to remove and reinstall new channels.  Looking forward to seeing how you and your glass guy handle this.  Best regards.

18 hours ago, squirebill said:

Don....your car looks spectacular. Great job.  I am just beginning a 1949 Plymouth Suburban. Bringing it back to "stock". Engine is currently at machine shop to be bored, decked and valve seats.  I see your glass guy is going to start soon.  I would be particularly interested in how he handles the sliding side windows.  My window channels are shot and I seem to be having trouble finding replacements and instruction/directions on how to remove and reinstall new channels.  Looking forward to seeing how you and your glass guy handle this.  Best regards.

I can't help with the sliding windows. The PO decided to change this one to a fixed window car. I had to repair his work to get a proper opening for the windows to seal and for better appearance. The glass guy put the side windows in yesterday and they look really good. I was trying to install the front fenders. I really never did understand why a car can be put together and taken back apart and things don't fit. Oh well back to the assembly today.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your labor of love here Don.  The rust repair photos and such are very helpful to me.

12 hours ago, Don Colliau said:

The PO decided to change this one to a fixed window car. I had to repair his work to get a proper opening for the windows to seal and for better appearance. The glass guy put the side windows in yesterday and they look really goo

Any pictures of that repair work and of what the glass guy did to seal a repaired opening passenger window by chance?

Sure many could get some ideas of a way to also seal up the stock setup.

Thanks,

DJ

8 hours ago, LODI3QTR said:

Don; It's coming along nicely. How is it getting all those panels lined up?

Well I still have my hair! I had the car assembled and taken back apart about three times. The front fenders are not original to the car and the right is a NOS 1950 the left a very nice 1949.  So when I tried to bolt up the to the inner fenders nothing would line up. I took them off and slotted all the holes for the inner fenders to allow for adjustment and so I could get bolts in them.  Being as I didn't take the car apart originally it leads to some new challenges and some part hunting. I had to shim the core support up about 3/8 of an inch so the bottoms of the fenders didn't lap over the rockers. Then add shims and adjust so the doors would open and close. I adjusted some on the hood yesterday and the gap at the firewall is more consistent now. I still need to work on it some more. I hope to get it a lot closer than it is right now. But being as it is 1950 technology it's happening pretty nicely.

5 hours ago, Don Colliau said:

Well I still have my hair! I had the car assembled and taken back apart about three times. The front fenders are not original to the car and the right is a NOS 1950 the left a very nice 1949. But being as it is 1950 technology it's happening pretty nicely.

I had noticed that you had a '49 fender on the left side. I hadn't noticed it till you put the painted fender on. I'm glad you seam to be working any difficulties out. I've never worked on any body panels earlier than the '60s. Looking at my Suburban the earlier year cars seam to have a lot more parts holding the hole front together. What are you going to do about the  two different front marker lights?

PS: What color did you use on the car. Thanks, Mike

Edited by LODI3QTR

18 hours ago, LODI3QTR said:

I had noticed that you had a '49 fender on the left side. I hadn't noticed it till you put the painted fender on. I'm glad you seam to be working any difficulties out. I've never worked on any body panels earlier than the '60s. Looking at my Suburban the earlier year cars seam to have a lot more parts holding the hole front together. What are you going to do about the  two different front marker lights?

PS: What color did you use on the car. Thanks, Mike

The PO decided to change to 1949 marker lights so I kept that going because I had the new lenses and trim rings. I changed the opening in the 1950 fender to a 1949.  The color is a 2006 to 2015 Chrysler gray metallic.

You will have to wait for a full outside view. I have the steering column out because it was color matched to the body so I need to put that back in. And the weather here does not want to cooperate. Maybe next week I can get it outside. My plan for the weekend is steering column dash and bumpers. 

• Like 1

I get where you are coming from when it comes to putting the car back together. I did the same thing and you stand back and say to yourself  "it was together and fit nicely, why the hell doesn't it  fit back together"? Anyway, I really like the way you have combined old and new to make this thing so nice.

BTW..........I had my glass guy glue in my glass on the sides and rear hatch also the windshield. The pass and drivers doors had to be cut special because I removed the wing windows. They all had to be cut due to the chop. Can't wait to see this outside in the sun.........it will be a head turner.