My new P15!

USMC1188

I'm the new guy, how is everyone?

My name is Scott, I am a diesel head... My current daily driver and toy is a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins.  I love this beast!  Working on it, building it, breaking it, and driving it... I love it all!

IMAG0688_zpsxusafkrx.jpg

Growing up there was a 48 Plymouth in the back garage at my Grandma's house.  Whenever I went over to mow her grass, or just visit, I made sure to open up the garage and sit in the car.  It was always a dream to one day fix the car, but wasn't really a reality.  Well, I am now 25, been out of the Marine Corps for 3 years.  My Grandmother passed away 2 years ago, and the house just got listed on the market.  My aunt would love to be the one to fix it up and drive it, but she doesn't have the capabilities, knowledge, or storage for the 48.  Well, I have all three!  And now the 48 Plymouth P15 Deluxe is all mine!  In the next few weeks, it will be moved out of the garage for the first time since the early 70s. 

We got the wheels off of it the other day so I can put fresh junkyard tires on it to get it moved.  Then once it is in it's new home, I can start having fun. 

Here are some pics:

IMAG0692_zpsoqjxfygm.jpg

IMAG0701_zpsoykn4tdt.jpg

IMAG0691_zpsbzgciq5e.jpg

• Like 1

I found 3 of my 4 centercaps, but after 66 years, they looked terrible.

So I took an aluminum turkey pan, and Coke.  I put 2 of the centercaps in the pan and let them soak overnight.  The results were incredible!

Before:

IMAG0711_zpsgi46ymhy.jpg

After on the left:

IMAG0713_zpsyhupgohi.jpg

Now I just need to figure out the best way to redo the red lettering.  I see everyone else's on here that look really good and would love some advice!

Thanks

Welcome and thanks for your military service. Looks like your car is solid so it should not take much to make it a driver.

I must ask if in your dieseling you ever ran across a guy named Dennis who lives near Hamilton, has a Diesel Dodge with tags that read "6INAROW-GO"?

Thanks!  I can't wait to get it back on the road.  It has a lot of work to do, but definitely can be done.  At the moment, I just want to make it a fun cruiser, nothing outrageous... maybe down the road I can start doing the crazy stuff lol

The name sounds familiar, but honestly, I'm not sure.  If you had more details on his truck, then maybe lol.

Now that you got them that clean try a little 0000 steel wool. That should get them shiny. Many guys have posted different methods for repainting the caps but they mostly come down to time and patience.

For your hubcaps, I just did mine. I went to the Dollar General and bought a box of SOS pads. Five minutes per cap and the were super shiny. For the ship emblem. I'm thinking an enamel based paint with a  small paint brush and then a clearcoat to protect it. But only on the emblem.

Get some Bon Ami Cleanser (from the grocery store) to do the hub caps, It is a non scratching cleaner if not Bon Ami, look for Bar Keepers friend same stuff different can.  You can also try water and crumpled aluminum foil, sounds crazy works good.  For the red, a suitable shade of nail polish will do just fine.  I trip to a body shop supply house can get you a fiberglass scratching pen.  This will roughen up the surfaces to be reddened.  Just be very careful with these they shed tiny pieces of fiberglass, wear gloves, keep the shop vac handy and do not touch your eyes while using this thing.  

http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Brush-Fiberglass-Colors-vary/dp/B0019V18D2

Looks to be that the original paint is in good shape will probably respond to ministrations of compound and polish, before you decide to repaint give it a go.  Looks to be the Air Wing grey color.  I have a Deluxe also, without all the fancy chrome on the inside.  That gas cap is a keeper. Welcome, I hope you have as much fun with the car as with your diesels.  Oh and by the way, that carpet.... gotta go.

• Like 2

The body looks solid. It has waited for you all these years, so be patient in bringing her back to life. You will enjoy the new learning curve.

I agree with the comments made by Mark about being patient. I have seen many new owners who strip a vehicle to the frame the first week of ownership only to lose interest. The vehicle ends up crushed as the owner loses interest. I suggest you get the brakes working and the engine running and drive the car to get a feel of what you want to do. Read everything in the reference section of this forum to learn a lot about what you have. Purchase a shop and parts manual and perhaps a MoTors manual covering the years 46-49. Ask questions here and use the forum search function as most questions about these cars have already been discussed here. Parts are reasonably easy to find and most cost less than furd or shiverlay parts of the same era. Most importantly have fun.

• Like 1

I agree with the comments made by Mark about being patient. I have seen many new owners who strip a vehicle to the frame the first week of ownership only to lose interest. The vehicle ends up crushed as the owner loses interest. I suggest you get the brakes working and the engine running and drive the car to get a feel of what you want to do. Read everything in the reference section of this forum to learn a lot about what you have. Purchase a shop and parts manual and perhaps a MoTors manual covering the years 46-49. Ask questions here and use the forum search function as most questions about these cars have already been discussed here.

When I brought my car home, I joined the local antique auto club and the man who was president at the time told me the same thing.

A friend helped me get it running and redo the brakes to get it stopping. I have 2 manuals and a parts book. Those and the search button are invaluable. I am able to answer most questions before I think of them. I am Not a mechanic, just a hobbyist spending time and money.

I found 3 of my 4 centercaps, but after 66 years, they looked terrible.

So I took an aluminum turkey pan, and Coke.  I put 2 of the centercaps in the pan and let them soak overnight.  The results were incredible!

Before:

IMAG0711_zpsgi46ymhy.jpg

After on the left:

IMAG0713_zpsyhupgohi.jpg

Now I just need to figure out the best way to redo the red lettering.  I see everyone else's on here that look really good and would love some advice!

Thanks

Thanks for your service, my first car was a 48 4 door in 1960, thats the one in my avatar. I loved that old car. Cost me $37.50 and had a rod knock. Had a guy with a portable crank grinder come out to the farm and regound #1 rod journal. New pan gasket and bearing and she was running sweet. A good trick on chrome to clean and shine is #0000 steel wool and some glass cleaner. Don't use anything courser than #0000. It will also clean your glass without scratching. Try it on your bumpers first to get an idea, I think you'll be pleasently suprised, good luck on your project.

Now that you got them that clean try a little 0000 steel wool. That should get them shiny. Many guys have posted different methods for repainting the caps but they mostly come down to time and patience.

For your hubcaps, I just did mine. I went to the Dollar General and bought a box of SOS pads. Five minutes per cap and the were super shiny. For the ship emblem. I'm thinking an enamel based paint with a  small paint brush and then a clearcoat to protect it. But only on the emblem.

I'm gonna give that SOS/ Steel wool idea a go, thanks guys!

Get some Bon Ami Cleanser (from the grocery store) to do the hub caps, It is a non scratching cleaner if not Bon Ami, look for Bar Keepers friend same stuff different can.  You can also try water and crumpled aluminum foil, sounds crazy works good.  For the red, a suitable shade of nail polish will do just fine.  I trip to a body shop supply house can get you a fiberglass scratching pen.  This will roughen up the surfaces to be reddened.  Just be very careful with these they shed tiny pieces of fiberglass, wear gloves, keep the shop vac handy and do not touch your eyes while using this thing.  

http://www.amazon.com/Scratch-Brush-Fiberglass-Colors-vary/dp/B0019V18D2

Looks to be that the original paint is in good shape will probably respond to ministrations of compound and polish, before you decide to repaint give it a go.  Looks to be the Air Wing grey color.  I have a Deluxe also, without all the fancy chrome on the inside.  That gas cap is a keeper. Welcome, I hope you have as much fun with the car as with your diesels.  Oh and by the way, that carpet.... gotta go.

I didn't even think of nail polish, I will have to go and find the right color and give it a shot!  I may just go and order that scratch pen you linked from Amazon.  I have Amazone Prime, so it's free 2 day shipping lol, quick and easy!

I don't think it is the original paint.  When I open up the front doors, the inside of the doors are a dark red color (there is no door panels up front).  I willl have to look at it a bit more, but it may just be a primer grey.  I talked to my mom about it, and she always remembers it being the grey color as well, which would mean it was grey in the late 60's, but before that, I don't know.  Unlike modern vehicles, there isn't a paint code in the door or something similar to give it away is there?

I thought that gas cap was pretty awesome, I haven't seen any others like it. I will definitely have a blast with it.  I already have a pretty large build list for it...

The carpet definitely has to go... my aunt made an attempt in the early 70s to get it back on the road, so she started adding stuff to it... so the ugly blue shag carpet is her fault...

Any idea or advice on where to get a replacement carpet?

Cool car. Does the hood ornament light up?

Thanks!  No clue... is it supposed to?  If not, I may have to find a way to make it lol.

I agree with the comments made by Mark about being patient. I have seen many new owners who strip a vehicle to the frame the first week of ownership only to lose interest. The vehicle ends up crushed as the owner loses interest. I suggest you get the brakes working and the engine running and drive the car to get a feel of what you want to do. Read everything in the reference section of this forum to learn a lot about what you have. Purchase a shop and parts manual and perhaps a MoTors manual covering the years 46-49. Ask questions here and use the forum search function as most questions about these cars have already been discussed here. Parts are reasonably easy to find and most cost less than furd or shiverlay parts of the same era. Most importantly have fun.

I aboslutely will.  I would lovet to be able to drive it on the road again by next fall, but I won't be heart broken if not.  My first order of business is to get it cleaned up and make a list of everything it needs, and then what I want to add.  Then I can figure out what is a priority and needs done first. 

After that, I think I am going to work on suspension and brakes first, then I can start playing with that temptimg flathead 6 under the hood... hehehe

I already got my hands on a 46-50 Plymouth Service Manual, it is loaded with information!

Thanks for your service, my first car was a 48 4 door in 1960, thats the one in my avatar. I loved that old car. Cost me $37.50 and had a rod knock. Had a guy with a portable crank grinder come out to the farm and regound #1 rod journal. New pan gasket and bearing and she was running sweet. A good trick on chrome to clean and shine is #0000 steel wool and some glass cleaner. Don't use anything courser than #0000. It will also clean your glass without scratching. Try it on your bumpers first to get an idea, I think you'll be pleasently suprised, good luck on your project.

That is awesome!  Wish cars today cost that....

I am going to give that a shot.  It looks like most of the windows are good, except the windshield, which will need replaced.  The rest just need a cleaning up.

Edited by USMC1188

I'm gonna give that SOS/ Steel wool idea a go, thanks guys!

I didn't even think of nail polish, I will have to go and find the right color and give it a shot!  I may just go and order that scratch pen you linked from Amazon.  I have Amazone Prime, so it's free 2 day shipping lol, quick and easy!

I don't think it is the original paint.  When I open up the front doors, the inside of the doors are a dark red color (there is no door panels up front).  I willl have to look at it a bit more, but it may just be a primer grey.  I talked to my mom about it, and she always remembers it being the grey color as well, which would mean it was grey in the late 60's, but before that, I don't know.  Unlike modern vehicles, there isn't a paint code in the door or something similar to give it away is there?

I thought that gas cap was pretty awesome, I haven't seen any others like it. I will definitely have a blast with it.  I already have a pretty large build list for it...

The carpet definitely has to go... my aunt made an attempt in the early 70s to get it back on the road, so she started adding stuff to it... so the ugly blue shag carpet is her fault...

Any idea or advice on where to get a replacement carpet?

Thanks!  No clue... is it supposed to?  If not, I may have to find a way to make it lol.

I aboslutely will.  I would lovet to be able to drive it on the road again by next fall, but I won't be heart broken if not.  My first order of business is to get it cleaned up and make a list of everything it needs, and then what I want to add.  Then I can figure out what is a priority and needs done first. 

After that, I think I am going to work on suspension and brakes first, then I can start playing with that temptimg flathead 6 under the hood... hehehe

I already got my hands on a 46-50 Plymouth Service Manual, it is loaded with information!

That is awesome!  Wish cars today cost that....

I am going to give that a shot.  It looks like most of the windows are good, except the windshield, which will need replaced.  The rest just need a cleaning up.

The widshield glass comes out from the inside, be very careful and you might be able to reuse your original gasket. Also since the glass is flat if you take in the old windshields to a glass shop they can cut them to the excact size as the originals which will make them easy to install. It's really not to difficult to do, if a retired Chevy rep can do it anyone can. Good luck

Looking at the horn button and some other things, it appears it is the Deluxe model (not the Special Deluxe which has a

chrome horn ring and chrome center cap).  Those hubcaps should be 9 inch diameter..........the Spec. Deluxe had a 10

inch diameter cap.  Otherwise the two are pretty much the same car.  Deluxe was less expensive when new, with just a bit less fancy work.   A couple sources of parts are good old eBay and old car swap meets.  There are some ads in Hemmings Motor News, and a few in the for sale section of this forum.   

Also, P15 parts occasionally appear in the parts for sale section of the H.A.M.B.   Plus, there are certain vendors around

the country with parts.   

The parts manual and the service/repair manual are indeed handy to have.  Reproductions can be found on eBay.  I presume

you found out that the driver's side lug nuts are left hand.........

Have fun with your new car. 

The widshield glass comes out from the inside, be very careful and you might be able to reuse your original gasket. Also since the glass is flat if you take in the old windshields to a glass shop they can cut them to the excact size as the originals which will make them easy to install. It's really not to difficult to do, if a retired Chevy rep can do it anyone can. Good luck

Thanks a lot, I will have to give it a shot.  There are some good sized cracks in the glass, so I am going to have to be very careful not to make them worse.

Looking at the horn button and some other things, it appears it is the Deluxe model (not the Special Deluxe which has a

chrome horn ring and chrome center cap).  Those hubcaps should be 9 inch diameter..........the Spec. Deluxe had a 10

inch diameter cap.  Otherwise the two are pretty much the same car.  Deluxe was less expensive when new, with just a bit less fancy work.   A couple sources of parts are good old eBay and old car swap meets.  There are some ads in Hemmings Motor News, and a few in the for sale section of this forum.   

Also, P15 parts occasionally appear in the parts for sale section of the H.A.M.B.   Plus, there are certain vendors around

the country with parts.   

The parts manual and the service/repair manual are indeed handy to have.  Reproductions can be found on eBay.  I presume

you found out that the driver's side lug nuts are left hand.........

Have fun with your new car. 

Awesome, thanks a lot!  It is indeed a Deluxe model.

The service/repair manual I have is already priceless, there is a ton of information in it.

Yes, I did, definitely found that kinda cool.

Here is a picture of what I was talking about previously with the red paint inside the doors.  The car looks to be factory grey, but this throws me off for sure...

Any thoughts?

IMAG0723_zpsidhkba2m.jpg

Also, I was able to get a shot of the body number today while I was over there digging through stuff and preparing it for the move this weekend. 

Does this give us any clues towards anything?

IMAG0724_zpszmmi5mhx.jpg

could be primer. could be the door is a used replacement to to damage.  the tag is a reference number by Briggs Body Manufacturing works.  They stamped bodies for Plymouths, sent them along disassembled to the to the Plymouth assembly lines.  When the bodies were mated to a chassis and an engine installed, the car was assigned the serial number found  door post.  Briggs also stamped bodies for Packard contemporary with the Plymouth shells.  Packard's slogan used be" Ask the man who owns one!"  I have asked several and they had no idea that their Packards had anything in common with Plymouths.  

Edited by greg g

That's really cool!  I had no idea.  I will have to take a look at my serial number as well and see what that says.

Is there any way to find out the original color?  Today's VIN numbers have a color code as well, is there something similar with these old cars?

Look under the back seat and see if the assy line copy of the build card was stuffed in there by some worker. You could send 40 or 50 buck to Chrysler Historical society ( don;t know it they still provide the service) and they would sent you a copy of the origination documents for your car by submitting the serial number.  It would tell you color, build date what dealership it was originally sent to.  by the way did you know that the passenger side inside sun visor was an option??  Does your car have arm rests?  My deluxe does not.  

Awesome!  I will check that out as soon as I get my hands on the car again!  Now you have me exctied haha

Really?  That's pretty cool! It didn't seem like the options list for these cars was very extensive, besides the Duluxe and Special Deluxe Models. I didn't honestly even think to look and see if I had a visor on the passenger side, I will give it a look.

By the pictures, it doesn't look like I have arm rests either:

IMAG0697_zpsqlhql8op.jpg

IMAG0698_zpsa8nyb4qs.jpg

I hate not being able to walk outside and look to find all this stuff right now.  The car is still in the garage that it's sat in for all these years.  The moving date is this Saturday as long as everything goes as planned.  I am going out tire shopping tomorrow most likely, so that will be a step in the right direction!