Prepping the 'ol girl for a new dress (painting the '48 Windsor)

White Spyder

I used a urethane primer when I painted my daughter's Falcon.  Easy to work with, compatible with all types of color paints, and doesn't require the sealer.  I rather enjoyed using it (nothing to do with the fumes, either).

I use a 2k primer for final blocking and wet sanding along with a guide coat and don't use a sealer. The 2k doesn't need it. Using a sealer, any runs I may get in it, I have to wait for it to dry to sand them out which may take me out of it's time frame window for topcoating wet on wet, plus it's more material I don't need to buy.

Slick Sand should only be dry sanded because of it's porous nature and it's ability to retain moisture so if you intend to wet sand, consider using a primer/sealer. Some primers can be used as both, mix ratios being different for the usage. Check the P sheets first. A couple good coats as a primer, blocked out, then a final coat as a sealer and color on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy with work and a death in the family but he are some updates.

Slick sand was on and then sanding, sanding, sanding and more sanding.  add a bit of putty here and ther and MORE SANDING!!!

post-4038-0-98098400-1409356155_thumb.jpg

post-4038-0-97256800-1409356202_thumb.jpg

We decided to paint the top first so we would not damage any paint on the sides so tape tape tape!

post-4038-0-34137000-1409356640_thumb.jpg

First of three base coats going on.

post-4038-0-05082500-1409356618_thumb.jpg

After 3 base coats 3 layer2 of clear

post-4038-0-81021600-1409356790_thumb.jpg

More sanding to do to get it slick and smooth.

after a TON of tape  All jammed up!

post-4038-0-07502600-1409356942_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...