buying old 20+ year old Oil filters on the bay

desoto1939

Over the years I have seen old stock oil filters for our various cars. Some of these filters can be had at some good prices.

My questions to the members is this:

How many of you have purchased any of these filters, including MoPar factory, off market, Apco, fram and what ever is being sold to fit your car or truck?

Have you had any issues with buy these old stock filters?

I am just concened that putting in a 20+ year old paper element into the oil canister is not a good idea.  You Do not know where the filters have been stored. Has the element become old and the filtering paper would start to come apart and then you clog up the lines and cause more issues?

With the cost running around $10 form an new replacement dropin filter I feel that this is the better option. The technology of filtering oil has come along way and also you are getting a fresh filter instead of something that might be 20+ years old.

This is just a posting to get some of the members to have some input and for a general discussion.

Hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day Holiday and please remember all of our fallen service Men and Women that have served for our great county and for our current service Men and Women that are serving in our Armed Forces.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

As I see it when many new folks buy an old car the first thing they do is question where to buy expendable parts and supplies. They search e-bay and old car vendors first because they do not know that many of these expendables are still being produced and are available at the corner auto parts store. I am very much in agreement with you that new (not NOS) is the way to go. Many times the new stuff costs less than the NOS stuff sold by vendors and on the bay.

• Like 2

I have new and NOS filters. I install filters that I bought 30 years ago and am happy that I can use them up.

It's good to inspect the filters before using them though.
I'd be cautious of a brand new chinese filters.. more so than old stock ones !!!
I have never worried about the paper,.string or sock filters unless the box looked like it was in damp or a very desert dry storage and was breaking down, filter probably is breaking down too.

Sometimes it's hard to tell whats going on inside certain designs of filters as you cannot see inside.

Sock types you can sqeeze them to see if they are crunchy-that would be a no-go!
Common sense...I say use what makes you happy.

Pictures of some of my new and old stock filters....

post-302-0-89210200-1401124917_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-11668100-1401125276_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-59099000-1401125896_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The what oil filter do I use is so easy to figure out compared to the complicated moderm day engines and electronics!

I have to say after a day of working on new complicated stuff I really enjoy having to fix something on my old cars.

Tim you danced around part of the question. Even thought your motor is newer-do you use NOS Mopar filters on them?  ;)

DJ

dancing about, I think you are mistaken..being Baptist...I do not dance..ever...lol

There are but a handful of filter makers...though there are a a myriad of brand names..as long as you are intelligent enough NOT TO USE a toilet paper filter..you be good to go...do I go out of my way to get a Mopar filter...not on your life..Walmart carries them if you think the name Moapr makes a difference, so yeah..you can still get them without the extra high dealer market up..but to buy from a dealer...NEVER.....

I am not posting this as the ultimate list...just to give you the big picture..

Honeywell-makes Fram and Pennzoil
Arvin Meritor-makes Purolator Premium Plus, PureONE, Ford OEM, Quaker State
Dana-makes Mopar/Autopar, AC-Delco & Ford/Motorcraft filters, Wix and Napa Gold/Silver
Hastings-(now Clarcor)their own brand, Amsoil, possibly Baldwin too?
Champion Labs-Mobil 1, K&N, Supertech, Bosch Premium, STP, Ultraguard Gold

PS..for the right money, I can get my name or certified logo if I wish and market my own line of filters...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I've bought a few NOS filters cuz I thought they made interesting items in my display case.  Painted logos, chrome plated filter cases, stylized product boxes...them things are all a thing of the past with the advent of laser printing, zinc plating and generic packaging.

post-2888-0-97181800-1401142623_thumb.jpg

These filters have leather & cork seals with paper elements.  The leather & cork are not flexible, neither are the paper parts, so I reckon they would not be as effective as a filter with newer materials.  I'd say that leather gaskets were obsolete, but Colorado Rawhide still sells 1-ton pinion seals made of that organic matter, complete with correct seal material preparation instructions.

I did some valve adjustments on the '48 years ago, and used some NOS cork valve cover gaskets...those decades-old cork gaskets eventually fell apart, so I replaced them with some newer-style rubber gaskets.  But it was a messy lesson to learn.  I see the NOS stuff up for grabs for some good $$$ and all I see are display items or someone's future messy lesson :cool:

• Like 2

Tim I was giving you a "poke" !  :D

Bu interesting post on the mfgers.

DJ

kinda figured there was a jab intended there and that is ok but I am sure you know as well as I that many times this stuff is carried out to an extreme...the idea of buying for the shelf display makes perfect sense to me and one of the better returns on the money...but then..that is just another one of my opinions..